Avira HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Toby75, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Competitors of Avira should worry the day Avira introduces HIPS. Can you imagine Avira's scanning engine combined with HIPS....all in one product?

O My :eek:

2. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

Isn't too early for that?
    Do you have any info to share?

3. icr

icr Registered Member

4. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Avira got a great scan engine and signatures but that doesn't automatically mean that they have the right guys who can program a good HIPS / behavior blocker.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You are right, but it took A2 a year to develop a nice IDS module, so the Avira V10 problably has one (problably on par with AVG ID - former PRSC and just behind Mamuto - the IDS module. New ThreatFire with overhauled internal engine is also something to look out for (when they are not killed by Norton).

What would be really interesting A2 - Ikarus - IDS - OA combined :D and Avira with HIPS, Norton implementing ThreatFire capabilities, PrevX4, ahh the AV's are not DINOSAURS, some of then do EVOLVE to mean malware fighters. Also watch for DefenseWall with outbound protection in 2010.

Comodo guys are hunting kapersky, may be they will be surprised by new combo's of competitors (and turns out that kapersky was the wrong target) :D

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

If Avira was to introduce a full HIPS comparable to Comodo for example, then they might scare off novice users.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

HIPS will be useless. Better if they add a behav blocker.

8. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yes, but I don't like the suites and I hate the present evolution to all in one suite. I want the HIPS a part from the fw/av: two different softwares, two Software Houses. It means more levels and more security.

I'm not sure: Kaspersky's av quality- I dont' like the actual KIS anyway - plays to the users for his suite also. So the big public now think suite and think Kaspersky: from a business prospective I think that the target is it. While if we argue about high global security, I agree with you.

9. Kees1958

Blacknight,

Hobby-ists will always find a multi layered setup to their liking with minimal investments. More suits only makes it harder and more fun.

Regards Kees

10. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening One & All! Currently have Avira Security Suite 9 with Prevx Edge 3.0 both are complimentary and it's all i need. Salute...Securon

11. blacknight

Kees, it's not more so easy: the developement of security products, and especially of the suite, creates system conflicts between the softwares of different Houses. THe fw of X often is in conflict with the HIPS - alone fw naturally - of Y.

Regards.

12. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I really hope they don't put any HIPS in their product, of if they do, I hope they will code it better than the current "antirootkit" driver that exists in the free edition. :thumbd:

13. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

What's wrong with the anti-rootkit driver?

14. eskimukas1

eskimukas1 Registered Member

Avira AntiVir ProActive betatest started today ;)

15. blacknight

Nothing wrong. The only one thing, an HIPS allows to control and to set rules to all happens in a system...

16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I agree. Less prompts means more novice users can use it. I should have made the title BB, not HIPS.

17. Kees1958

Agree, that is why I have either use nice players (paid: e.g. malware defender application firewall, drivesentry AV and Defensewall) or a mix of old and new freebies (Surun, Trust-No_Exe, Edgeguard Solo, Arrovax shield, Rising PC doctor and Avira 9, Chromium with utilities like ACL view and Fajo XP FSE) for lowest footpint/cpu drain/I-O overhead and ease of use.

When hackers found it difficult ro break Chrome with one policy containment implemented, what about four: Surun, TNE, EdgeGuard, Chrome :D

Regards

18. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

AVIRA ProActive Beta 1 is available to download... :D

19. nielsson

nielsson Registered Member

Someone please run it thought some tests and post the results? :argh: :thumb:

20. AndyTHL

AndyTHL Registered Member

Awesome, very good News.:)

If Avira beat's now Kaspersky, and even Gdata(last Test at ssupdater), without Behaviour Blocker, what will hapen, when they have one, at the end of the year?:rolleyes:

I think then Kaspersky can go back in Kazakhstan desert.:D

21. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

AVIRA has defeat kaspersky from a hell of a long time

look at kaspersky for now !! and you will know

man !! its signature detection can be defeated with the most easiest way

i washed my hand from this company :mad:

22. icr

icr Registered Member

Avira might have defeated but their(kaspersky) new version(2010) is in beta testing:shifty:

23. bart4444

bart4444 Registered Member

And avira has more false positiefs then kaspersky hips and pdm are beter in kaspersky 2010

Sorry for my bad english

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I wouldn't mind Avira to have a simple 'Antiexecutable module' a sort of white listing of your applications so that whatever is not recognized as malware and is not in the white list might still be brought to your attention pending your decision (although with Vista this is already happening with UAC).

25. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

then lets just hope that the same scenario with v2009 will not happen again !!

Last edited: May 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.