Basic firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pkz77, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkz77

pkz77 Registered Member

So i need basic firewall ( like ESET3 interactive mode, just allow or block, no crazy pop ups like comodo ) and it shouldn't slow down my internet speed or anything else.

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

PC Tools Firewall and Sunbelt Personal Firewall are great firewalls without too much pop ups.

3. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

Depending on what OS you're using, you can use Kerio 2.15, Sygate (although it did have a proxy issue, if that is of concern), or even LnS. Any firewall will have some pop ups unless you preconfigure it first. I've used all 3 and found them to work just fine. I'm always behind a router so it is a secondary line of defense more for outbound monitoring than anything.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

At the momment I'm using Windows XP firewall I prefer Comodo for non-router useage. I just got a router, comodo seems to slow down my connection too much.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Try to install Comodo Firewall, i.e. without Defense+, and set alerts frequency to minimum...

This way you will have a super light firewall with minimum alerts... ;)

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

First, test different firewalls that allow you to turn off all extra features. The features you might like to have will be to watch for applications wishing to make network connections, either inbound or outbound. A firewall that also monitors for changes in the applications it blocks/allows is also a good thing mostly. If you turn off all extra features, your firewall is now much like the first application firewalls, no bells and whistles, just monitor applications.

Then these firewalls should allow you to make 2 default rules to apply to applications. Allow or Deny. This way, you can very easily create an allow/deny firewall that does watch for applications but is not too nosy with it. A new program comes up, you decide very easily, to allow it or deny it, yet still get prompted initially. You also have the luxury of knowing why it is not working, lol, because it is blocked. Nothing extra complicated to figure out.

Find the firewalls that will do this (outpost pro v1-4 & free v1 would), find the one that you feel most speed with, and the one you like to interface with the best. As you are not getting crazy with rules, simple allow/deny, you can perhaps choose one based on what you like instead of how good it is at all the fancy features they all do today.

I used to do this, and indeed it is very simplistic as long as you know what the applications are or could do.

May not be what you are looking for, but maybe it is. You might also examine DSA (Dynamic Security Agent). It is simplistic network monitor of a sorts. Beware though it will block outbound pings to WAN.

Sul.

7. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

Most of the better firewalls will allow you to turn off the pop-ups so that you don't have to view them... but I still like to keep logging enabled in case I want to go and see what the firewall has been doing for me...

But then, I let a few pop-ups happen as well to let me know what I forgot to configure within Online Armor...

Even with some of the firewalls that have more features included with them, you do not have to turn those features on... they are nice to have in case you decide you want them later...

Call me paranoid, but I have a firewall on the router and on my laptop... but then... I do travel with the laptop a little, so I like to feel protected when I am not behind my router...

Regards -
    -Bob

8. tipo

tipo Registered Member

zonealarm firewall! the free one. it`s just perfect! :thumb:

9. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Frankly good to know what's happening in the system. I am not saying you should get pop-up for everything thing just the major ones.

10. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

outpost personal firewall version 3.51
    after turning off the plugins features like , antispyware , ad blocking , DNS caching ect.....

but u can keep the attack detection plugin

installation size only 6 MB
    ram usage only 2MB

this version is the lightest ang bug free version of outpost before it become bloated in versions 4.0 and 6.5

trust me , try outpost 3.51 and u will never be disappointed

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes, OP older are great. As hany says, kill the plugins you don't need. If you decide to create 2 simple rules, just examine the file presets.lst. Here you can populate your own rules per applications or for a global rule. When I used it I had every program I would ever use already setup. So when I installed (or reformatted) I just replaced the default preset.lst with my custom one. Then when a program, for example proxomitron or opera, was foudn the first time, my rule for it was there and all I had to do was say 'use that one'.

This is also how I made 2 global rules, allow and deny. I deleted all other values in preset.lst, except for those 2. This way any program that started gave me 2 options, allow or deny.

Sul.

12. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

thanks sully
    despite i use outpost 3.51 long ago , but this is the ist time i know about how to manage the presets
    i asked in the outpost forum before about the possibility to import the preset rules from outpost 6.xx to outpost 3.51 but the answered no coz they are of different formats

but ur method is pretty good
    especially i encounter problems right now for how to deal with internet explorer 8.0 , evey time i start ie 8 , i got a popup that ie 8 is starting hidden process which is ie 8 "starnge"

if u share us with ur prest rules and ad on them a rule for managing ie8 that will be very kind of u

best regards

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Re: Is Windows XP firewall enough for advanced inbound protection?

Sure. Here is an older one with a number of apps not by default. Also some custom rules for things like possible trojan etc. Please note that in OP you remove the global DNS rules. The rules are made per application. You will need to modify the DNS addresses in the preset.lst file to match your DNS servers.

Also it will be important for you to examine the rule [svchost.exe] for xp and [services.exe] for w2k. These are tightly restricted, and may cause you problems. I suggest reading Paranoid2000's guide on secure configurations if you don't understand. At the least, it should give you an idea of how to modify to meet your own needs. I left the default programs in place I believe, but many of them have been modifed from a default state. Have not used OP much in quite some time, so you will be missing many rules for current apps. I think 07 was the last time I used it much.

And I don't remember which version this came from, but I think it is pro 2.1. I had presets from v1 free, v1 pro, v2-4 pro. I started with OP when v1 free first came out after meeting one of the software engineers over at a microsoft tech chat room.

View attachment preset.lst.txt

Sul.

EDIT: Oops. Wrong thread. Can a mod move this to here please? basic firewall

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I am sure a mod will move it, but in the meantime, here is what I was supposed to add in this thread. Sorry about that.

preset.lst in another thread lol

Sul.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Sygate or Kerio 2.15, magical little thinges, ~0 system resources, excellent stability, no slowdown.
    Mrk

16. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Kerio tiny had serious security hole back then that's the reason to move up to the next version. Sygate Pro/Free were great, but today I would advise anyone using those.
    Outpost prior has some issues as they all do after they get worked on. Rising RFW and RIS are updated daily from around the world. ARP attacks does work, Out bound attacks from your own LAN PC to the others on your LAN Network good feature to have. Still so many others to choose from. Everyone here going to have their favorites. But again you don't want something that's going to block your access to your own internal network or block the internet. Lot of the free version splash ads or news about selling their Pro versions. Rising does that too but they give you option to turn that feature off so you can see on the Firewall Network Animated Meter Graphic Gauge. Beside that less system resources and it's free. Can't beat that. I've use pretty much everything you all have spoken about.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  17. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Care to elaborate a little, please?
    Is there a rule to add to Kerio 2.1.5 to circumvent that security hole?

Best regards,
    François

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.