Boot Charting

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by NGRhodes, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

2. demonon

demonon Guest

So is that 15 seconds from the moment you select Ubuntu in Grub to when you can login?

3. NGRhodes

So first tweak.

Reprofile. This causes readahead to reorganise itself for your specific machine/OS. Simply added the word "profile" to the end of kernel boot flags on reboot. Then rebooted again to get a new chart.

This has reduced my boot by 1s, down to 14s: http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6830/riverjaunty200905042.png

4. NGRhodes

Yes :)

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

any particular reason for using XFS?

6. NGRhodes

For my usage patterns I find XFS (and EXT4) faster than EXT3.
    I find with tweaked FS creation and mount flags its as good as EXT3 for normal desktop usage and manages my media files, virtual machines, backup images that added upto 300gb of largish files far better than EXT3. I also found with lots of creation and deletion of many virtual disks for all the distros I was trying, that EXT3 performance was degrading, I suspect combination of mild fragmentation and inefficiencies of handling large files.
    I chose XFS over EXT4 because it a more stable/proven filesystem (bugs that XFS fixed years ago, EXT4 is suffering from.
    Also over past year or so XFS has had a lot of optimisation and refactoring, which leads to leaner more efficient code than ever, XFS is really continuing to be actively developed.
    In 6 months time I may change to EXT4 when it is tried and tested and gained enough support.

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I was wondering what options you used for mkfs.xfs and what mount flags you used? I used a 128m log and set lazy-count to one and mount it with noatime, nodiratime, and logbufs=8 and still get pretty absymal performance on small files. Everything else it works wonderfully for though. Maybe you have some other tweaks to help it along with the small files?

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

8. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

http://scale7x.socallinuxexpo.org/dotorg/coreboot

9. demonon

demonon Guest

I have a 24 second boot time for what I think is a good PC. Q6600 CPU and 3 gig ram.
    Is my boot "slow" because I installed GRUB to my "/" partition?
    I also have a home and swap partition on a second external HD. First I have allocated 250 GB to Vista. next I have a 10GB ext4 partition for Ubuntu Jaunty x64 and then I have another NTFS partition.
    24 seconds is a huge improvement compared to Vista, but I still would like to know how to boot in just 15 seconds.
    Here is my bootchart: http://i41.tinypic.com/jzfl9w.png

Regards,

-demonon.

10. NGRhodes

Demonon,

Bootcharting starts after grub has run, so would not be a factor.

FYI putting swap partition on an external drive is a performance killer IF your swap file is used, but also could be one of the reasons for your slow boot, because the modules to control the external drive are needed just to swapon and mount /home.

I noticed quite a few hdparm's going on which I do not have, any idea why they are running ?

I do not think it matters too much that you have Vista on your primary drive, but if you can, I would try and put /home and swap on the same drive and see how quick your machine will boot without your external hdd.

Cheers, Nick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.