Unable to load linux kernel

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dearos, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dearos

dearos Registered Member

Hi, I just bought & downloaded Acronis True Image Home 2009 about 2 hours ago.

I have made a backup of my hdd, but when I checked to see if I can restore it I get the following message:

"Unable to load Linux Kernel"

I created 2 types of rescue media, a cd-rom & also a USB flash drive, but both give the same error when I boot from them.

I checked & I have the latest build of your software.

I also tried the "quiet acpi=off noapic" command - but it didn't work.

Can you PLEASE help me ...?

Thank you.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dearos,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please send us the serial number for Acronis True Image Home 2009 via PM? Then we will send you ISO image of Acronis bootable disc which will solve the issue.

As workaround you can try to use Safe Media of Acronis bootable disc. You can download it from your account on our web site under Registered Products.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

3. victor1955

victor1955 Registered Member

Dmitry,
    I too have this problem. I have had no problems until I decided to implement RAID. Then 2 things happened. First, I get the same message as in this thread. Second, if I try the Safe Mode it cannot see my USB drive where I store the image for restoring.
    Just for testing purposes, I set my old computer to RAID and booted with the restore CD and it came up just fine. The RAID on that computer as an older ATI 2.5.1540.40_1 RAID BIOS. The current PC is AMD RAID 3.0.1540.37. It seems it may be this particular RAID that is causing my problem.
    If the ISO image will also fix my problem, please send me the download link.
    How would you like for me to send my SN? You indicated to DEROS to do so via PM. What is that please?

Victor

4. Acronis Support

Hello Victor,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please let me know the license number via PM, I will provide you with an ISO file to create another Acronis Booting rescue media.

To send a Private message please make a click on Acronis Support header and select Send a private message option.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

5. pwoods101

pwoods101 Registered Member

I also have the very same issue. I have sent a PM for the iso image. Thanks in advance.

6. Acronis Support

Hello pwoods101,

I have sent the file to you, could you please share the results?

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. pwoods101

Oleg-

Thank you for the iso image file -- It worked like a charm. It gives a few different options when starting, so I don't know which is best -- but it works! I was able to boot into ATI, then validated the system backup in ASZ. Since I was only testing, I did not actually restore. Can you describe what is different about this iso image, over the image created in bootable media builder?

After exiting ATI and rebooting, my system had trouble booting normally. I had to boot into safe mode first, then reboot.

Thanks Oleg.

8. Acronis Support

Hello pwoods101,

Thank you for your response.

These ISO images are based on different (ISOLINUX) loader, our developers update them very frequently (we are unable to release the Windows part of the program with the same frequency). Therefore, ISOLINUX ISO files are considered to be the latest, up-to-date builds of the standalone version of the program.

The new CD contains the standalone version of Acronis True Image with the respective kernel settings modifications:

Here is the list of the prompted parameters:

1. Boots into Acronis True Image directly without any additional parameters. This is the default parameter that boots in 10 seconds.

2. Boots into the # prompt without any additional parameters. Generally required when you need to either boot into the # prompt or collect Acronis Linux Report with special conditions.

3. Boots into Acronis True Image program directly with the acpi=off noapic parameters. It can be useful on some hardware when Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media hangs during boot process. This option can be used if there are some ACPI or APIC related errors are found.

4. Boots into the # prompt with the acpi=off noapic parameters. Usually it is required for gathering some diagnostic information.

5. Boots into Acronis True Image directly with USB, fireware and Yenta CardBus controller disabled. Can be useful on some hardware.

6. Boots into the # prompt with USB, fireware and Yenta CardBus controller disabled. Usually it is required for gathering some diagnostic information.

7. Boots into Acronis True Image directly with vesa disabled. It can be used when a customer experience some issues with graphics or sees a black screen after booting without 'quiet'..

8. Boots into the # prompt with vesa disabled.

Could you please describe the exact step where the operating system failed to start? Did any error message appear?

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

9. pwoods101

Hi Oleg-

Thanks again for your help and information.

Well, I cannot describe exactly at what point my system would hang because it would boot as far as the windows logo screen, then shut off my video card. This weekend, I will susbstitue the video card for another and see if I can recreate the hang and advise.

I do use the lastest AMD raid1 drivers, if that matters. I should also note, that I have another licensed copy of Acronis on my netbook which works perfectly, so whatever the issue, it seems to be unique to my desktop rig.

Anyway, I will see if I can offer more details by Monday.

10. Acronis Support

Hello pwoods101,

Thank you for your response.

Please let us know the results, we should make the program to run flawlessly on all your systems.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

11. pwoods101

Hello Oleg-

I was testing my system, and booting from the ISO image you provided...I discovered that my 'hangs' after rebooting were not from Acronis, but from a video card problem. It seems the fan onboard the card died, and as I would boot the card would heat up and then freeze. Of course, it took a while for me to figure out what was happening. Anyway, I installed a new video card and all is fine. I can boot into ATI using the ISO image, backup validate and restore....then reboot without problems.
    Thank you again for your help.

12. Acronis Support

Hello pwoods101,

Thank you for the good news. I am really glad to hear that the program doesn't bother you any more.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

13. neurogenesis

neurogenesis Registered Member

I own both Acronis TI 10 and 11, both were giving out this same error, so I decided to try and see if the boot media from the trial version of 2009 would work...

I am still getting this error with the new version

I have tried removing all USB devices, etc, ANYTHING to try and get this back up. I had a friend over yesterday who managed to completely botch the OS I had up, so instead of messing with a full reinstall this Fathers day, I am hoping on just bringing the image back up.

I should note that 10 and 11 were working fine on my previous system, but I have built a new system with a different chipset, intel prior, now i am running an amd phneom II 955 black, on an asus m4a79T deluxe mobo (790FX chipset)

14. Acronis Support

Hello neurogenesis,

Please let me know the license number for Acronis True Image 11 Home via PM, I will send you an ISO file to create Acronis Booting Rescue Media with the respective kernel settings modifications.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

15. focus130

focus130 Registered Member

Same problem I have with that RAID controler and BIOS version.

PM sent with serial number.

16. Acronis Support

17. neurogenesis

neurogenesis Registered Member

PM sent with serial number

18. peted20

peted20 Registered Member

PM sent with serial number. Trying to restore to AMD RAID Option ROM Version 3.0.1540.30.

19. gokhan

gokhan Registered Member

My problem is similar. I have had TI 11 installed on my home pc. My RAID array started to give bad block errors and I decided to replace both disks (4 years old WD Raptors). Now I ve installed 2x1 TB WD Caviar Blacks and configured the RAID array. I have another 500 GB WD disk on my system too. When I try to boot form the CD (Which is burned from the image provided by Acronis support -Build 8053 ISO- since "Create Bootable Media" option wasn't working with my TI 11 install.) it boots normally and asks for the image and I select the image from my USB drive. Then when I'm on the step of selecting the destination drive It doesn't show either my RAID 0 array or my third 500 GB disk no matter what I do. I have a Gigabyte Mobo with 790FX chipset and AMD Phenom II 955 processor. I'm out of options and appreciate any help. I can send my Serial in a PM if needed.

Thanks.

Gokhan

20. Acronis Support

Hello Gokhan,

I've received the serial number, I sent the files to you via PM.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

21. gokhan

gokhan Registered Member

My PC is back. Thanks again. :D :thumb:

22. 512banque

512banque Registered Member

Mine is not.

I made the mistake of using the demo version of True Image 2009 and rely on. Now that I have this error message, I can't do nothing except purchasing the whole software if I want my data back. That's not fair.

Please somebody can send me the iso file ? I'm not doing nothing illegal, just using the demo version as I have the right to do so, and I need my data back.

Please help me. Thanks.

23. 512banque

512banque Registered Member

Thanks, everything worked out with the ISO you sent me :)

Thank you again.

24. sasabonsam

sasabonsam Registered Member

Hello,
    i have downloaded the german trial version of True Image 2009 and during the start of the rescue media the error message "Unable to load linux kernel" appears. The Mainboard is a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4 with a AMD 3.0.1540.47 Raid Controler running as RAID 1. Can you please send me the ISO file too?
    Thanks in advance.

25. Acronis Support

Hello sasabonsam,

Please send us your serial number via PM and we will provide you with ISO file. Also, you may Then submit a request for technical support along with your serial number in order to obtain the ISO file.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.