ESS 4.0.417 scored 4% at matousec tests

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by loverboy, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loverboy

loverboy Registered Member

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Again, they test only the firewall module and don't take into consideration that other modules are able to prevent most of the exploits.

3. MindTwisted

MindTwisted Registered Member

Either way, looks like ESET scored a 4%...you're saying that other modules cover the other 96% LOL I don't think so.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

the winner also appears to be a suite?

5. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

ESET was never known for great stand alone firewall, but for outstanding AV (NOD32). Remember that.

6. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Geeze....

I thought I had found a better alternative to Symatec's NAV, N 360 or NIS.

Doesn't look like I'm gonna renew my subscription for ESS. I've got till September of next year (2010). Please....I know how stupid it was to buy a 2 year subscription.

Gonna have to tell all the people that I got to switch over to ESS to NOT renew their subscriptions either. None of them bought a 2 year sub.

I can't go back to Norton. They won't allow me to install any of their newest applications since I still have Norton SystemWorks 2003 (No AV) installed. I'm not getting rid of that for anything.

Thank you ESET.

Thank you for not caring enought about your own company so much you just had to release such a bug infested product that doesn't even offer the protection that you claim it does.

Thank you for all the embarrassment that I will have to endure because of the unworthy praise that I bestowed upon my friends about your product.

Thank you for the false sense of confidence since I falsely presumed that I was finally rescued from Symantec's monsters called Norton Antivirus, Norton 360, and Norton Internet Security.

I hope you enjoyed laughing all the way to the bank.

You fooled me once.

You're not going to fool me again.

7. muppetman

muppetman Registered Member

If this is your life then dude, I can only feel a huge amount of sorrow for you.

It's a software firewall. It ain't the end of the world. If your friends are going to ridicule you about your choice of AV product based on a single test, then you seriously need to start looking at your social circle.

Regardless, when you can show me something that:

a) Bypasses the NOD32 AV protection,
    b) Bypasses the ESS Firewall system (which sure, isn't great),
    c) Infects a machine without alerting on either point above,

Then maybe I'll understand your post. Maybe.

Or perhaps you were just joking? In which then apologies, sarcasm doesn't translate very well in plain text.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i still think nod 32 is the best av (up to v3 anyway) i am just giving up on firewalls, complete hassle didnt use one for years and IMHO they are a pain in the A?!"£, get a router!

9. muppetman

muppetman Registered Member

Yes, mostly they're a solution looking for a problem. You're already in the poo if your AV didn't catch an infection that your FW now has to try and deal with. They're good for access control (i.e. stopping your kids from installing utorrent or something) but not really much use for virus/malware control.

10. stratoc

stratoc Guest

11. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I'm not sure myself if I'm joking or not.

I know the topic of this thread is the ESS 4.0 Firewall, but, I'm just not feeling very comfortable about ESS in it's entirety.

If I hadn't installed ESS 4.0 and then started getting the Application popups during shutdown then I never would have started reading anything in this forum let alone posting anything in this forum.

Perhaps I vented too much.

My appologies.

12. roari

roari Registered Member

Hehe...

When I log-in to my VPN and go to do some firewall tests to here:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Test showed that ALL my common service ports are open and my computer NETBIOS names etc. etc. are reachable! How this could be possible? When I disconnect my VPN client and go directly to internet, firewall test cannot locate any information about my PC, because there is my router/NAT/Firwall in the middle. When I use VPN, hardware firewalls cannot filter my traffic because it's encrypted. But when I bypass my firewall with VPN, software firewall should protect my computer. BUT NOT ESET FIREWALL. All service ports and shares shines to the internet. Eset firewall is like a welcome message to all hackers on internet. Eset firewall is useless. Yes I have "Strict protection" on my VPN zone to prevent network sharing but still Eset "firewall" passes all traffic. :gack:

13. psi2003

psi2003 Registered Member

Bingo !!! :cool:

Yes, NETBIOS names, Lan MAC Adress, etc, etc, are reachable!! :cool:

I think matousec tests are extremely correct :D Eset firewall is useless and a security threat.

14. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

If you think that ESS doesn't work to your satisfaction, why not just uninstall ESS and run with EAV instead....you only lose the firewall elements but keep what is still a very lighweight (resource wise) anti-virus - unlike the AV from certain other bloatfest manufacturers!

~M

15. roari

roari Registered Member

Yep... Removed ESET Smart Security completely forever from my computer now. I installed comodo firewall and do same test again. All ports etc. were shielded now and test cannot collect any information about my PC. Test succesful.

So if you are using your computer sometimes without hardware firewall's protection, DON'T USE ESET FIREWALL

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  16. rony474

rony474 Registered Member

Guys it is interesting that i use the same product and i recieve a full stealth result. Im on the internet now on my UMTS , **Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests**
    i know that ESS4 is not the best , but the application does a really great job.
    I have tried more test on the suite and the interesting thing is that when the firewall doesnt stop the malware it is stopped by the av module.
    The matousec test is great , but it doesnt test the firewall as it is.
    It test mostly HIPS , and corect me if i am wrong but ESS has no HIPS.

Rgds

R

17. loverboy

loverboy Registered Member

The winner (COMODO) is FREE and, like roari said, can be installed without their antivirus but only their firewall.

So now I have
    - NOD32 2.70 as antivirus
    - COMODO 3.8......477 as firewall
    and they live perfectly together

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Just curious, which tests did you do?. I tried the test twice... First time behind my linksys and the second time with my computer in the DMZ. I passed the common port and all service port tests both times.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I forgot to attach a pic. As far as i can tell the Eset firewall logged and blocked the port scans with my computer in the DMZ. All the firewall settings are default except the logging functions.

firewall.png

20. a3_alin

a3_alin Registered Member

VIPRE + SUNBELT PERSONAL FIREWALLo_O?!!!! :D

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

the OP of this thread seems really concerned with the matousec leaktest.... If you look at the matousec test, sunbelt firewall didn't do much better. :D

22. a3_alin

a3_alin Registered Member

You have right!!! but they don't have so many bugs... :))

23. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

That's exactly what I did last night (except I use NOD32 v4). Work as a charm :). Now my wireless connection is recognized much faster (almost instantly), unlike with ESS where it took sometimes few minutes to connect my network. So I have the best of both worlds :).

Not so stupid, my friend :). Good thing with ESET license is that you can use it for both ESS and NOD32, according to your liking. As I said NOD32 is THE BEST Anitvirus at the market (various unbiased independent tests prove that, check the result images below) , I would never replace it, ever! Just get better the best firewall (Comodo) and you be totally protected.

http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/system-security/11138d1237991956-vista-sp1-antivirus-performance-capture5.gif
    http://www.vistax64.com/attachments/system-security/11680d1239305029-vista-sp1-antivirus-performance-capture7.gif

Cheers,
    Miki

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  24. archie123

archie123 Registered Member

i have a smart security subsciption , would i be able to download just Esets av with that and get a differant firewall?

25. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Yap, that's the beauty. Read my post above :)

ps. very easy firewall leak test: http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest.htm

Cheers,
    Miki

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.