Windows x64 HIPS-only? (e.g SSM-like)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by marc775533, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc775533

marc775533 Registered Member

Dear all

the forums here would not let me search for x64 or 64 bit (too small / common) so maybe this Q is alreasy asked....

For Win XP (x86, SP3), I am an avid user of SYstem Safety Monitor (yes, sadly now discontinued...sigh) and I use an ancient IP tables firewall type of thing (plus I sit behind a router NAT)

The basic firewall just tells me which traffic & protocol & process wants in/out (mainly so I can stop BIll Gates, Adobe, etc phoning home without my permission).

BUT.....
    I have just moved up to XP x64 and although I can find a basic IP tables firewall, I can no longer use SYstem Safety Monitor, WAHHH!

What I really liked was not only the small footprint and the keyboard shortcuts, but loved the info on the command line of process at hand (I am learning a great deal about how to command line my way through lots of BIll GAtes terrible GUI world)

I refuse to use Comodo until it offers conprehenisve keyboard shortcuts and gives the user more chance to configure the components without clicking through dozens of little windows and check boxes =mouse hell), and it's also a resource hog - otherwise, great that is it free and gets top scores in trials like matousec.

So, 64000 $ question;
    Is there a small footprint, SSM-like HIPS only (no AV, no firewall, no total security solution) software (preferrable free-/shareware) for x64 XP/Vista?

please don't say no!

thanks

marc

2. yashau

yashau Registered Member

UAC is pretty good in Vista x64

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

4. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Under 64bit Windows, Group policy, LUA, SRP,... are very convenient.

Few vendors propose a hips solution fully working. But you can safely rely on windows internal solutions, as it is by default more secure, less targeted, and already there for free.

after all, it comes to what you are doing with your computer and the balance between usability and security you wish to attain.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Comodo Internet Security includes firewall, AV, & HIPS modules (you can custom-install just the modules you want.).

It has a 32 bit version AND a 64 bit version.

By the way -- I do not use CIS myself. I'm just answering the topic.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

TS already said he refuses to use CIS...

7. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Just one question... The original poster called Comodo a resource hog? I'd hardly call 2.7MB of ram a hog, that's with the HIPS and firewall running.

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Like lucy said UAC, complemented with Norton's UAC tool for remembering choices

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.