Response time to new threats

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Football, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football

Football Registered Member

What is the response time of ESET to new threats? I sent twice a suspicious exe file to samples@eset.com and they still do not detect it.:eek:
    Other antivirus vendors have already added it to their signatures.:rolleyes:

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

<24 hours on a weekday.

3. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

In my own personal humble testing that I've done and repeated few times over the past few years it's been anywhere from 24 hours to 3 weeks+ (at 3 weeks I gave up on that sample and just quit testing). Few times I re-submitted the samples.

All other AV's have detected it by then and I kept checking the samples via VirusTotal just to make sure and to also allow VirusTotal to send the undetected sample to the Anti-malware companies that come up negative. (Large number of AV companies scavenge VT for data and samples.)

So yeah, keep us posted, last time I did my personal VIrus Response test was about 5 months ago, I wonder if they improved.

Someone else did a personal test at Dslreports. He/she/it got also sad results. Just keep in mind that it's a person doing the test and not any testing facility but still, it's a nice enlightment.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21686902-Nod32-kind-of-dissapointing

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. Football

It is still not detected!
    Fortunately, I have not executed it and so my computer is not infected. But what would happen if my computer was infected in the future? Would I have to wait so many days to clean my computer until ESET decides finally to test it and added it to its signatures? Do you think that it is right for a top antivirus to behave like this? And do you believe that people will continue using your product with such horrible response time? My license expires in July and then I am seriously considering after that event to use another antivirus which will respect its customers more.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Unfortunately, you didn't provide any information that would indentify your email. At least the date of sending or the subject would suffice, or simply PM me your email.

6. Football

I rechecked the file with version 3974 and it is still not detected. Anyway, I do not care anymore about this file. I am trialing Kaspersky Internet Security right now, which already detects the file, and I will probably buy this product when the trial expires, although my ESET license is valid until July. I care more about my computer security than money.

I will not sit there and beg ESET to add this file anymore. :rolleyes:

Goodbye.

7. Marcos

Wish you good luck. You've received this reply from us 2 hours ago:

8. Football

Two hours before you created this post, twenty minutes before I created this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1435128&postcount=6, one hour after I uninstalled ESS and installed KIS, seven days after I submitted the file.

9. elapsed

10. Marcos

Yes, they do and that's why some people will like AVs that detect more regardless of whether the file is malicious or not.

11. elapsed

Shouldn't the author of the file be notified that their work is actually being flagged as malicious? :/ I don't have the file otherwise I'd do it myself.

12. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

response time always be a problem for ESET..... hope they will resolve this..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.