Is 'Ad Muncher' the best ad-blocker for IE8?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Or is there a better option available that doesn't impact browsing speed and blocks the majority od ads?

Norton used to have a really good ad blocker with their Internet Security line but apparently it was discontinued with the 2009 software line. It blocked almost all of the ads and it didn't slowe down browsing speed whatsoever.

I've been using Ad Muncher for a while now, but I've read elsewhere that it does impact browser speed because of how it processes or blocks the ads.

Just checking to see what the alternatives are for the IE8.

Thanks.

2. L815

L815 Guest

You can try IE7Pro but, IMO it comes nowhere close to the effectiveness of Adblock plus for FF & Admuncher.
    There's also Adblock Pro which works similar to Adblock plus although, it's not free :/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

You could either disable Ad Muncher or keep it from running from Windows startup and see if you notice any difference. I'm on slow dialup so it's hard for me to know what makes my browsing slow. ;) But I'd hate to give AM up...

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I'm using Privoxy at the moment. It's powerful and not very user-friendly, but chances are you won't need to ever touch the settings.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

IMO nothing beats the Proxomitron. However, if you don't know what you are doing, you should poke around for a good configuration.

Sul.

6. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Privoxy here as well coupled with CCProxy and high DNS expiration timeouts in Firefox it makes browsing lightning fast.

7. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

IMO 'Ad Muncher' is the best ad-blocker for all Browsers!!!!!!!!!:eek:

8. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

It's the best if you can afford it :)

9. _Ralph_

_Ralph_ Registered Member

Proxomitron with Sidke's configuration and forget everything else ! Free to boot . Nothing even comes close .

10. Creer

Creer Registered Member

11. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

12. L815

L815 Guest

Is Sidki's configuration the one which changes the google page to the dark themed one? Could have been a random configuration I tried at the time.

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

14. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes, but it's only one of the many options included in its last config. Btw, it is strongly suggested to first read the help file and fellow the provided documentation/instructions to make better use of all the new added Proxomitron's capabilities... It's already the best ad-filter out of the box but it can also do way more than that and be tweaked to no-end. And it's free!

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Changing 16kb to 8kb in admuncher options>routing ,and also in logs>options ..change max log size to 4kb and allow duplicate entries.....or turn off logging altogether,speeds up browsing .
    ellison

16. thathagat

thathagat Guest

thanks....did'nt notice the option all this while

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have an Ad Muncher license, but I prefer to use the built-in content block of browsers, because they support the standards like HTTP/1.1, and Ad Mucher doesn't...

It can also avoid other possible conflicts...

18. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey guys,,i've been looking for this kind of information,about adblockers
    -does proximitron and sidki's staff work for all browsers?
    i tried admuncher,,but it doesn't work for chroiun,sware...it works great for ie8,opera,firefox..
    ...and where can i find a godd tutorial about proximitron...thanks

19. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

hi i used ad muncher a year ago. and i can confirm that ad-muncher indeed slows browsing speed.

IMHO, there are two factors here. One is the parsing speed of ad-muncher, which is affected by number of rules and logging level. The other is the active codes injected by ad-muncher. just navigate to a simple web page as short as possible and open the web page's source code in IE, you will find a huge block of javascript injected by ad-muncher, if you've set many blocking rules for script-based ads.

Default blocking rules and low logging level might keep it running at proper speed. Now I am using bFilter for IE, which is similar to Proximitron, bFilter looks less complicated than Proxomitron. In my opinion, both are more flexible than ad-muncher. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.