Hitman Pro Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by yashau, Mar 20, 2009.

1. yashau

yashau Registered Member

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Re: Anyone tried out Hitman Pro?

Yeh,

It is like prevx CSI only using serveal kernels. It is decent software when cleaning up a PC

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I used it for a scan once last week.
    It scanned fast.

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I did a very basic test, to see how prevx is used. Installed some spyware (malwareremovalbot) and tested prevx CSI, it identified all problem files.

Ran hitmanpro, and it said all clean. But I was thinking it used CSI scanning engine? Is it limited?

Otherwise price wise, very competitive, cheaper than the products it uses. And there are no running services when the program closes. Very ease to use, and like the fact it can identify files and then cross-check these files against the other scanning engines.

5. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

I've tried it three years ago. If I recall correctly, it was very bloated for my taste since it was using around seven engines or so, including spysweeper and spyware doctor.

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Years ago it was bloated because it installed multiple products on the local system all that has changed with version 3.

It is an extremely fast,capable product that uses Prevx CSI,AntiVir,Eset and A-Squared for on demand scans.Since all the work is done 'in-the-cloud' there's hardly any impact on local resources.The scans are free,along with a 7 day trial of removal (activated at any time after the first detection).All in all a great additional tool for the armoury.:thumb:

7. andyman35

That is strange :doubt:

8. Saraceno

andyman35, I wouldn't mind recommending it to a friend who wants an on-demand program, that's quick, and has no services running when shutdown.

You're right that this new version is like prevx CSI, light, no slowdowns, easy to use.

Regarding the one program (malwareremovalbot), I think this was added only very recently by prevx. And as we know, it is just one file, and most AVs miss this as it's more a 'dodgy program' than a virus.

They have a forum I can post the above program to?

9. Saraceno

I downloaded a few other problem files, and both CSI and hitman pro were consistent.

Does a thorough job in analysing all the running processes. And once it closes, it isn't running in the background.

Another positive is that it has minimal options, so new users aren't confused. One checkbox creates an automatic scan everytime on login/startup - usually when most people experience problems.

Someone here more experienced might want to give it a test.

10. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Thanks guys I just wanted hear your opinions. I think I'm adding it to my "armory" as well.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If it is as good as it is fast then i will use it in my ondemand arsenal,yes its very fast and using scanning engines from the best out there so it could be another ace.
    As expected after the scans all my rigs turn out to be clean.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not sure if the A2 software is useful, I was NEVER able to find anything with it except a few harmless cookies.

Avira makes sense, Eset isn't bad either (although I seem to remember that Eset was not good at detecting spyware, but maybe that was in the past ?)

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It could be but i think the advantage of it lies in the combined power of the several engines,and also checking the ''interesting'' files against an online database in real time.With no services left behind and i suspect a litle bit inevitable reg.entries its almost portable.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  14. Saraceno

Some screenshots for those interested.

Note: vodafone\mobileconnect.exe is wireless internet while roughdraft.exe is a text file program used a long time ago.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

HiJackFree -memory usage during scan
    4.jpg

5.jpg

15. Saraceno

6.jpg
    7.jpg
    8.jpg

16. andyman35

There's no forum I can find but there is e-mail support.As for FPs I expect they rely upon the vendors of the engines used to deal with them,in fairness on the occasions I've experienced them they've been fixed very quickly.I'd certainly recommend it as good additional detection.

I notice they're now developing another product, Caretaker Safe Browsing.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/caretaker/safebrowsing

17. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Does it have a full scan option? And it doesn't have real-time protection right?

18. Saraceno

It only has one option, to hit 'next' which scans your whole system. No real time protection, more of a quick scan tool at the end of each day.

What I've found is that it seems to focus on the 'active programs' running.

For example, with a portable version of open office running, it seems to slow down the entire scan, and analyse all of the open office files (scanning all .dll files). I'm assuming it then is scanning/classifying the running processes against the other scanners (eset, avira etc). If I don't have portable open office running, the scan is much quicker.

Kees is the man to speak to. If you're lurking Kees, I'm gathering you've had success using this program in cleaning up a system? :)

19. andyman35

As Saraceno said it only scans active files and certain locations for updated and added files that have changed from it's initial audit.There's no real-time element,it's only on demand,it can be set to run an automatic scan at boot-up though.

20. Saraceno

The scan with portable open office running, did take a lot longer.

Which tells me, if you had an infection on your system, really slowing it down (just like having a few large programs running), using this program would submit all unknown active processes against the online scanners.

I was beginning to think all scans took the same amount of time. Usual scan takes about 6 minutes with all programs shut down. This has been consistent.

A scan with a relatively unknown 'portable open office' running and other media programs running (some unknown and portable too), scanned 'many' files with the online scanners, and took about 35 minutes.

21. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Well I'd think it would have something to do with the speed of your internet connection as well.

22. Saraceno

You're right.

But it wasn't a complaint, as scans with other programs while on wireless are much slower. On cable, this thing does fly.

23. andyman35

The only downside to this method is the dependence upon a decent web speed and the fact it will count as data usage for those on a limited monthly allowance.

24. yashau

yashau Registered Member

So does Prevx ;)

25. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.