Through the Eyes of a Keylogger versus HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well, I is crazy, and would not catching it intially on install be the most favorable method for protection.

2. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

I would not catch it either as comodo do alarm a lot more.. Still I can see how comodo do not fully pass as it don't give the precise alerts thats being asked for..

PrevX has added a signature for this by the look on the alert, is that a pass? No its not.o_O o_O This test is supposed to test a technique and should NOT be threated as a virus.. Adding this file to the database is a easy and cheap way to fight this test.. The question remains would it catch this attack if this was modified a bit, making the signature unusable? we don't know since PrevX is relaying on signature in this case.. A good coder could probably make a "real" in the wild keylogger functioning in a similar manner Undetected from this signature.. o_O o_O

Still if you catch the actual tecnique, the coder would have to find an other way to keylog.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

prevx will catch them all with signiture or in the wild when heuristic is on high:)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

to me it passes. Anything else is fluff. Any that catch it on install pass. Plain and simple.

5. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

I disagree. If so all passes.. Comodo gives some alerts blocking those and the app won't run or bew able to do anything at all.. Wooho great pass, This is ridiculous..

Adding it to the CIS AV database would also be a pass?

If so all those matusec tests are really easy, a AV with no outbound or inbound filtering could pass it by label all of those tests as "potentially bad" or virus or whatever and become the Best firewall against leaks.. give me a break.. Who are you trying to fool.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Its the teqnique that matters when it comes to these kinds of tests.. A modified version would most likley get UD (undetected) past PrevX.. Adding a single definition is nothing and is NOT a allround protection against anything. Adding a signature will prove good on paper but if a hacker does a similar application it won't provide decent protection against any attack, since the hacker change some stuff test, bam undetected. If you catch the actual technique a similar program won't be able too fool your software.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi LoneWolf, your second SS where "Create new process" alert on explorer.exe attempts to create target through-the-eyes-...... needs to be allowed otherwise the tests can't be run. This is just simple stopping of the executable but you have to assume allowing of the executable, even if only temporarily, because in reality this will be the intent.

After that you deny the "Low level keyboard access" as I've done with a permanent rule as seen in my SS's.

The way I see it - and this is unfortunate :( - this test absolutely annihilates MD 2.1.0 beta 1

MD does not alert on the first test - Fails

MD alerts with "Access keyboard in low level"; I deny permanently but screen captures still take place - Fails

Third test - Fails

Fourth test - Fails

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
  7. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

Finally someone agreeing and understanding what those tests are made for.. :thumb: :thumb: Block execution is NOT a pass.. *yawn*

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, this is the right way to test it against MD.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I appreciate your feedback, and was in fact just about to reply on this thread.

Such issue is not related with the keylogger test. I guess it was just a coincidence.

It's a bug in Opera 10 Alpha, latest build.

Thanks

10. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

MD passes keylogging for me. 'What Keyloggers see' is running as I type this and I have a permanent deny for 'Access keyboard in low level'.
    This is true, I get a prompt which then suspends TTEOAK, but regardless whether a permanent deny is in place it seems to capture anyway.

Edit: I also received a prompt for the first test.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi tony,

you mean the keylogger is not logging any keystrokes in test 1? I get the initial alert as seen in the SS from MD which I of course allow otherwise no tests can be run, but then the keylogger logs my keystrokes with no alerts from MD.

Attached Files:

12. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

That is correct. However it is capturing active window titlebar text.
    Yes of course I permit the test to take place and I still get prompted for 'Access keyboard in low level' on both test 1+2, although test 2 fails.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I see, I don't get the "Access keyboard low level" alert for test 1 o_O Only for test 2 but as in your case MD also fails.

14. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Only latest MD beta running on my system, no other security software:

Attached Files:

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

16. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Yes I did allow the first pop up from MD to let it execute and got an alert on all the tests which I simply chose deny and kill process.
    Your testing took it further, I'll be waiting to hear what xiaolin has to say about this test.

17. s23

s23 Registered Member

I run with Mamutu and DriveSentry and the 2 fail at all tests. No alerts are displayed for mamutu. DriveSentry alert only for a write to the disk for a creation of a .tmp file before and after the test.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Fair enough LoneWolf, and xiaolin has conformed MD's not yet ready to protect against this type of action:

19. fce

fce Registered Member

KIS denied me to download the file....kill joy! :D

Anybody try it using KIS2009 (OS: Vista)?

Attached Files:

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's the easy way out.

This test is designed to run it, and then objectively observe the results of your security apps if they are capable of suspending it long enough to kill it, or simply strong enough to block all 3 attempts.

Nifty new test however, my congrats on another test app especially as to do with keylogging.

EASTER

21. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I disabled anti-malware to facilitate the download. The application filtering then examines it as it is not listed good or bad. Unsurprisingly as KIS flags it as a trojan the application filtering puts it into untrusted. This stops it from running.

If you move it to Low Restricted or High Restricted KIS2009 on Vista 32 fails all the tests.

Depends how you look at it. You either think KIS nailed it early so no need to worry or like me you are a little disappointed that in Low or High restricted it did not generate an alert or other action.

Cheers

22. fce

fce Registered Member

so KIS2009 automatically put it on to untrusted apps....is that the right way to pass this kind of test for KIS2009 or you need to put it on to High/Low restriction to see if KIS will pass the test?

btw, what's your KIS set up?

23. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

SUSPENDING OR KILLING THE APPLICATION IS NOT A PASS..
    If so a classical HIPS(still the strongest thing out there against anything) such as CIS Passed ALL TESTS. as it is capable to stop all applications from startup upon execution its "bullet proof" in that sense nothing bad or unknown can run without popups..

ALL VIRUSES TROJANS MALEWARES AND TESTS..THERE IS NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM THAT YOU CAN'T SUSPEND WITH CIS..

A signature is absolutely not a pass.. And on top of that Kaspersky labels it the wrong way.

Is those 4 techniques cached is the question? Adding a single signature won't provide protection against the attack in those tests, just the test it self, that is harmless. Would it catch a real keylogger doing a similar thing is the question.. Relaying on a signature means that yes this harmless test won't run, but a similar app using the same attack would fool you. Catching the technique is much better and means that you are you protected from the actual attack and no modified variant can fool you.

24. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

Ofc don't get me wrong..

Its not a fail for kaspersky we don't know kasps results yet..

This is a HIPS Test.. And that is what are supposed to be tested..

Not the antivirus part.. :) :)

25. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Each to their own. I'm sure most would say the fact that the intentions of the programme were recognised by KIS and blocked at point of download, write and execution then even if these were bypassed subsequently made the app untrusted is a pass.

I'd just have been happier if a High Restricted programme was also prevented from logging key strokes/capturing screens etc. It would be interesting to see KIS results on XP where the HIPS features dig deeper.

The test is deliberately not designed for this but from the areas protected it is likely on High Restricted an alert would have been given had the application tried writing the data to a file or phoning home.

Settings are fairly standard except I select all of the pro-active defence categories and do not automatically trust signed applications.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.