Chinese internet surveillance boss arrested - Rising Anti-Virus Scandal

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Malcontent, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/27/chinese_censor_cuffed/

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

3. tipo

tipo Registered Member

:)) where is this internet scam going peopleo_Owe must really think now..is our security setups doing the right thing or just like risingo_O how can we be sure they are really protecting?? most of the viruses are made by specialized virus companies...how come a special kind of virus is detected by one av product and then the others. i really think that this av companies are paying lots of sites to sites to say an av is better than the other...each year another av is better...why??because is it`s turn to take money from people...why are on wilderssecurity 90% of threads about eset & acroniso_O?my security arsenal is a pencil and a paper...that is where i keep my personal data....not in the pc... just think! open your mind!

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm not a Rising software user but if I was, that would be grounds for me to dump it and wipe my drive. The user has to be able to trust the apps they depend on, which means trusting the vendor. That incident is a trust breaker, IMO. It makes me ask what "favors" Rising might have done for him and how that might have affected their software. Given his position in a surveillance society, I don't like the possibilities.

5. FrenzyLion

FrenzyLion Registered Member

well, I should say: it is definitely wrong that a merchant collude officer in charging for a hostile commercial competation. But the software is irrelevant!!!
    I AM NOT AGREED WITH YOU...

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Uhm, because their user forums are here.:rolleyes:

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Good to see that action is being taken, don't see AIG bosses or Detroit bosses being penalized for the precious taxpayer money they have squandered.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

And throwing more wood to the fire..
    But i don't see the connection with this case. And that one is borderline politics :p

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Who can say, but many software companies may have shady dealings. So what. When they are caught is the time shun them and not support thier bad business/behaviour. Until then, who can say about any company.

I don't buy the thought that AV companies make viruses or somehow encourage them. I don't suppose they mind them since they do make money off them though. There are too many free ones available, which by the way score pretty high on the list. If Avira,AVG or Avast were waiting for thier turn, why would they still offer free protection that is good? Makes no sense. Besides that, how do you explain the CLAM project or others that are free?

I suppose we will never now for sure though.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.