Mission Accomplished! (FD-ISR & WINDOWS 7)

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by pandlouk, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Never do anything without a good image, but many thanks for the warning.

2. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi Pandlouk,

I am a liitle late but thanks for the information - much appreciated.

marserobert:)

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Yeeha! Got Win7 RC installed in and empty snapshot created from WIn XP and FD-ISR installed on it now.

Instructions above were great.

NOTE: Coming up from Win XP, the parameter I used for the "bootsect" command was "/NT52", rather than the "/NT60" stated above for Vista systems.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

What a great little thread. Never regretted the $$ for FDISR :D , and it keeps getting extended courtesy of the gurus.!! :-*
    I truly hope, one day, FDISR will do a Phoenix.

Maybe we could all get in on an IPO and market it like crazy :D :D
    There must be some gamers and others who would like booting to different set-ups on the same box with all the latest HW ??
    One snapshot per game ?? Isolated, tweaked etc etc etc..change of marketing strategy ?? ;) The ISR is just the 'bonus extra' the true functionality is the zen of the box "the power within" :D :D
    Combine with a boot disc for an image restore from an external archive and whammo..!!

Back OT:
    I'll be dropping W7 in over the weekend too: Been running W7 in a vm: niceish... not unhappy.. just the latest MS..dum de dum ...functional..no issues really..LOL other than all the 'extras' one has to install, as opposed to say: latest Linux distros.
    :cautious:

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. crofttk

Ugh! Sorry, folks, I spoke too soon.:(

I booted fine into my primary (XP) snapshot after having installed Win7 as stated above with FD-ISR installed.

HOWEVER, I just now got around to booting back into the Win7 snapshot UNSUCCESSFULLY - I got the "NTLDR is missing" message.

I've been through a couple of iterations both doing a simple repair from the Win7 Setup DVD and shelling out from the DVD to execute the bootsect command which allows me to reboot into Win7 but leaves FD-ISR's pre-boot disabled and the enable greyed out.

I will stumble through some more efforts and report back any successes.

Meantime, I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback you all may have.

6. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Sounds like my problem during a Vista x64 Install:
    Solution below.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=218545

7. Minimax2000

NT52 is the MBR (Master Boot Record) used by Windows XP. NT60 is for Vista/7 OS and thus correct. I think you should change this to NT60.

8. crofttk

Thanks for the response, Minimax2000.

I read that thread and it's not crystal clear to me what worked. Was it the archiving, install, recovery sequence described by alloucho, or was it some manipulations done with boot manager or unplugging the non-system drive?

My situation is a laptop with one physical drive. On this drive, I have 1)very small Dell utility partition, 2) OS partition, 3) Backups partition, and 4) Data partition (My Documents, Favorites, etc for WinXP). All four partitions as primary.

9. crofttk

Ah, OK, I'll give that a shot. It could be that the /NT60 didn't work on first pass as I had missed running the shell as admin and simply shelled out.

I'll report back in a bit.

NOTE: My "Primary" snapshiot for FD-ISR is the original Dell "Out-of-the-box" snapshot and I hardly ever boot to that. The main XP snapshot I use is a "secondary". Hopefully, this is not confusing the issue or complicating my efforts.

P.S. Members or MODS, let me know if you think this needs to go to another thread. Thanks.

10. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

its a nice way u find mate but if i want to install win 7 here i DON'T want to install vista first and install over to win7, just to be able to run Fdisr !
    fdisr need to got new build so it be fully pure compilable to win 7,with out any kinda of lame/kiddos tricks

10x

11. Minimax2000

OK my system has two physical drives, each one has a primary partition. Due to our differences in the number of drives my solution will most likely not be applicable to you.

Nevertheless you may check the correct boot configuration using the EasyBCD tool.

12. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are welcome guys. Nice to see the instructions helped. :)

@crofttk
    Do not use "/NT52". The XP bootsector searches for the ntldr (which does not exist in vista or 7). The vista and the 7 bootsectors search for bootmgr in the system partition. That is the reason that I advised to use "/NT60".

For fixing it:

- In your XP snapshot check if there is a "bootmgr" file. If not make a copy of the "ntldr" and rename the copy to "bootmgr". (both ntldr and bootmgr should be in the root directory)
    - Uninstall FD-ISR (program only).
    - Insert the 7 dvd and run the "[dvddrive]:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 [system_drive]:" command.
    - Install again FD-ISR and you should be able to boot in your windows 7 snapshot.

Panagiotis

13. crofttk

I WON'T install Vista as I don't have it nor do I intend to get it. I agree FD-ISR needs a new build to be easily functional/compatible, with Win7.

Win7 is a curiosity/luxury to me here and takes a back seat to FD-ISR as does anything else except my main OS, WinXP.

I DON'T agree with any characterization of my efforts as "lame/kiddos tricks". These are OBVIOUSLY interim efforts and hopefully more members than just myself would be interested in the answers that apply until and IF Todd updates FD-ISR to work more seamlessly with integration of Win7.

14. crofttk

OK, Panagiotis, this makes sense! I've done nothing yet since I am still imaging my OS and data partitions before I get into this again.

I thought /NT52 made sense since I came from WinXP but I will suppress that thinking and give your advice a try.

I'm sorry to have confused the issue, not having fully understood the original advice in the thread.

15. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Demoneye,

before flaming and posting B.S. read the thread. ;)

Panagiotis

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You need to understand that FDISR doesn't need to do anything, period. That they updated to build 235, was pure kindness on their part. Since the product was discontinued they are under no obligation to do anything, so posts like this are pointless.

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:doubt:
    Ok was just checking in prior to 'gettingaroundtoit'
    LOL, you guys go on..I'll follow.
    :D

18. crofttk

OK, well I got lunch out of the way so here I go.... Report back may be interrupted by dentist appointment...:doubt:

19. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

I would gladly pay for an upgrade to FD-ISR so it could be used natively
    with Windows 7. I really miss FD-ISR now that I've migrated to 7 :'( .

20. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Totally agree. Firstly we are lucky to have such a program as FDISR in the first place which has worked flawlessly for so long.
    2nd, FDISR in its Original form is DISCONTINUED!! Why on earth should Todd or anyone else provide us with a new build, when there is nothing in it for them. It's a business, and they are in it to make a living.We should be grateful that they are still even taking an interest in us users after all this time, and is a credit to them.

21. crofttk

Well, I guess I'm on the verge of giving up here. After trying a number of variations on the theme, I always end up at the same place:
    1) I can NOT install FD-ISR into Win 7 unless I issue the command "[DVDdrive]:\boot\bootsect /NT52 [SysDrive]:" - Otherwise the install of FD-ISR aborts with the message "The Boot Sector for the Windows System volume is an unknown type."
    2) After 1) is done, and I boot inot the WinXP snapshot, I can't boot back into Win 7 unless I issue the command "[DVDdrive]:\boot\bootsect /NT60 [SysDrive]:" Once this command has been issued, the pre-boot screen is disabled, cannot be re-enabled and the option to boot to any other snapshot is greyed out.

So, any ideas?*puppy*

22. nfranken

nfranken Registered Member

Hi,

Maybe my experience might be helpfull.

I had Windows 7 beta running according the install instructions early written by Pandouk. Then came out the rc version and I decided to install it right over the beta version. Installation went smoothly then after install I issued the known commando after booting from the windows rc 7 dvd.
    Booted into windows 7 and the message "The Boot Sector for the Windows System volume is an unknown type." appeared.
    /nt52 didn't work either. So after retrying for some times I decided to use my old vista dvd. After booting from that dvd and doing the same as mentioned, the installation of fd-isr went well.
    I dont know why the vista dvd worked instead of the windows 7 dvd. Tiny bit of difference in the bootsector after all? Who knows. Anyway hope this is helpful.
    Regards
    Nick Franken

23. crofttk

Thanks for sharing, Nick. I have no Vista license. All I have a Vista BETA DVD from way back. I MIGHT see if that's of any use once I have some time.

24. houaus

houaus Registered Member

Funny how Pandouk has gotten credit for the boot sector method when I actually posted the method in post 5 :p . Pandouk later incorrectly reworded the method listing Windows 7 as the disc to use for the commands, when it should be the Vista 32 or 64 disc depending on your Windows 7 installation.

25. nfranken

nfranken Registered Member

Hi Houaus,

Sorry I gave the wrong person the credits you deserve.
    I wish I 'd read your posting earlier.
    Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.