Permissions help

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive recently noticed that i seem to keep getting error messages wen i try to enable or disable startup entries with any of the programs i have like CCleaner or Winpatrol or Tuneup utilities, i just get an error that says "Failed to enable/disable startup entry. Access is denied." or something similar to that.

heres screenshot of it happening with CCleaner:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m76/firzen771/Untitled4.jpg

any ideas on how i can get this to work so i can change startup entries etc. and i do use an admin account.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

HAve you checked the permissions with regedit? Try disabling zemena, this application could use a truck like this

Cheers

3. firzen771

i have not checked permsissions with regedit (tbh im not sure how u do that with regedit) and disabling zemana didnt fix it.

4. Kees1958

Open regedit, navigate to the key, right click, you may see an option permissions

5. firzen771

nope, made sure i had full permissions and still get the same error? o_O

6. Kees1958

Have you tried AppGuard or PrevX lately?

Lately they were laying a new fibergalss network in teh neigbourhood and they managed to cut through elecitical cables a few times. I was messing around on a test image and (can't recall which of the two) and was uninstalling with revo (as said either AppGuard pr PrevX). After power came up again, I could not deinstall because I did not had enough privelidges. I checked but could not find anaything. It is not the same but a simular problem (I could not access HKLM registry hive via add-remove programs)

I decided to fallback to a secure image (suspected one of the drivers was still loaded, due to the not fullly completed de-install), so I did not investigate it further.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I've been having permissions problems as well here recently in Windows 7. Strange. When I try to download something (in Firefox) a message pops up at the end saying I do not have enough permissions to place a file there (Desktop). It's like Windows 7 is forgetting that I'm logged on as admin.

8. firzen771

i tried prevx edge maybe a week ago, but i made an image before installing and used an image to revert back so i dont think that is it.

would there be any maybe like command i could use to reset these kinda of permissions, if so, what would be the side effects of doing this (eg. wiill progs malfunction)?

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

There's patch that inserts a Take Ownership applet in the Windows Explorer menu. Basically, you can right click it and take ownership rights of any object not already run with administrator rights. It works with Windows Vista. Google for it.

10. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

11. firzen771

that doesnt work, i tried and im already an admin, im about to try chris2busy method now.

12. firzen771

13. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

This worked for me in Vista for a permissions problem even though it states for XP.
    Reset permissions

15. firzen771

a while ago i installed CIS BETA, and i cant remember if i used an image to revert back or if i just uninstalled it, but if i did just uninstall it, i think that MIGHT have been the cause of it, just incase to rather be safe than sorry, anyone know if this culd have caused this issue with changing startup?

16. firzen771

ok i found out what the issue was, apparently it was Zemana Antilogger causing it, i figured this out when i decided to uninstall it temporarly to test drivesentry and now everything works fine.

thx for all the help everyone.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

maybe the system protect part of it:)

18. firzen771

ye thats what i figured as well, i would have never thought it wuld have been antilogger if i hadnt uninstalled it, i had rules made to allow these progs and didnt get any prompts, but o well, now that this is fixed, im happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.