Thunderbird/IMAP errors

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by elapsed, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Firstly I got this error when I first opened Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 and clicked a sent mail:

err.jpg

I got a different error when I clicked on a received mail. After closing and opening Thunderbird I cannot reproduce the problem, I'm going to guess it's because ESET doesn't support IMAP, which brings me to the question:

Why doesn't ESET support IMAP?

EDIT: I can reproduce the problem every time I get a new email.

EDIT2: Seems like the error is always the same The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: expected end of data instead of """.

The "" is always different.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. elapsed

Re: IMAP errors

Just to add to the awesomeness i tried disabling the email module to fix the errors (which it didn't). But now all my incoming emails are blank-corrupt. Going to turn it back on and hope they download fine again.

3. elapsed

Since I wasn't having enough fun already, Thunderbird is frequently crashing, or lagging up for over a minute.

Enabling/disabling the module made no difference. I thought I should post a screenshot to better explain my joyful time:

mail.jpg

4. elapsed

I'm going to use my webmail until this issue is resolved. But notice how ESS has actually corrupted the message on the server:

web.jpg

Below are the settings I'm using, hope it helps, and hope this is fixed before release:

set.jpg

5. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

Hi,

first of all you can turn off an integration in Setup>Miscellaneous>Email Client Integration> Integrate into Mozilla Thunderbird. I know that isn't solution but it should hepled.

Before doing this first advise try to turn off Antivirus and Antispam Protection > Email Client Protection > Email Clients > Email To Scan> Recieved email.
    Does this helped?

Did you turuned on in Thunderbird account settings "Make the messages in my Inbox available when I am working offline (Account Settings > Offline & Disk Space)"?

What kind of imap server are you using?
    I need it to reproduce the problem.
    (Gmail/hotmail/yahoo...)

6. elapsed

That fixed it.

No

I have hosting from 1&1. I use mail from that company. I'm not sure what kind of IMAP server they use, should I contact their support and ask?

7. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

Do you start Thunderbird form Sandboxie?
    Did you tried to start it outside from Sandboxie?

Thunderbird need full access to %temp% folder.

>I'm not sure what kind of IMAP server they use, should I contact their support and ask?
    This information would be helpful.

8. elapsed

No

Never in Sandboxie

Ok I'll make a ticket.

9. elapsed

I made a ticket now, but the problem is back, even with scanning received, send & read off. :(

I got an automated reply from their support which was corrupted...

10. elapsed

Just want to add that removing integration fixes the problem, but also leaving it on and disabling anti spam and email scanning (everything to do with email) also fixes the problem.

11. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

I think I got closer to problem i reproduces a lagging up for over a minute.
    And it seem it can causes all your problems.

Do you have single-core or multi-core PC?
    It seem like threading problem.

12. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

Did you encounter with this issue on POP3 accounts?

13. elapsed

I have no pop3 accounts to test, I always use IMAP for portability.

Dual core. I can reproduce the Thunderbird lagging problem. But I think that's a bug in Thunderbird.. maybe. It *only* happens if I have a corrupt email in my folders, if I delete all corrupt email = no lag or crashes.

But.. on my 1st post where I had 0 corrupt email and those error boxes from ESET I had lag, so not sure.

14. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

> I can reproduce the Thunderbird lagging problem. But I think that's a bug in Thunderbird.. maybe. It *only* happens if I have a corrupt email in my folders, if I delete all corrupt email = no lag or crashes.
    Please, can you create user mode memory dump of Thunderbird when this lagging occurred?

Steps how to create usermode dump:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241215

Then contact ESET support they give you an instruction how to send dump.

15. elapsed

Hello, the machine I'm having this problem with is ESS RC1 with vista sp1 amd64x2.

I just replicated the problem with EAV RC1 on a p4 single core with HT on running XP SP3, default EAV mail settings, same IMAP account.

I'll try creating a dump, but isn't that for crashes only? I'll research it further.

16. elapsed

I got a response:

17. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

>I'll try creating a dump, but isn't that for crashes only? I'll research it further.

Have you already send dump to eset support?

18. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I seem to recall reading that it was necessary to have this turned 'On' for IMAP for everything to work as expected... HTH

Cheers :)

19. elapsed

No, not yet.

But, with the ESET Thunderbird module disabled, and corrupt email in my Thunderbird, I get no "lag", so it's an ESET issue.

The problem with testing this is I get a lot of email, I can't just keep turning the ESET module on and corrupting them, since I don't get a chance to read them, I've already lost 1 valuable mail thanks to this bug. So it might be a while before I can get this log, if there are any other ways I can help, please let me know. Until then I will ask again, why doesn't ESS support IMAP accounts?

Not documented, no ESET engineer has said so, and also, not going to happen.

20. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

21. elapsed

This seems to be fixed in final, either that or it's because I'm too scared to change off the default settings. The only thing I disabled was the signature adding to emails and added some extra threatsense parameters.

Last time it broke because I fiddled with "Advanced Parameters" so I left that default too.

I will post back in a few days if everything is still ok.

22. SwissSteph

SwissSteph Registered Member

Hello,

I am a customer since version 2.7, then 3, then 4 ... and I find it totally unacceptable that the version 4 (final) has a huge bug with "thunderbird-IMAP" which led to the irretrievable loss of 170 professional email!

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5707/thunderbirdl.png

What to do now ... I lost very important messages!

Stephane

Sorry for my bad english :cautious:

23. princ

princ Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.