Infection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by xMarkx, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I have: Windows XP Home Edition SP3, 32-bit computer will all the latest Windows Updates on a Dell Dimension 8400 with ESS v3.

Yesterday, during a scan, it picked up the following:

Object Name: C:\I386\GTDownDE_87.ocx
    Reason: Probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent application

Today, when I left the computer idle for an hour or two and came back NOD32 found the following:

Object Name: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{random letters and numbers here going on for a while}\RP927\A0106100.ocx

Reason: Probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent application

Other Information:

• Real-time file system protection
    • C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP927\A0106100.ocx
    • Probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent application
    • Cleaned by deleting - quarantined
    • NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Event occurred during an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe. <--- What does this mean?

I haven't a single virus in over a year! I have never had a virus 2 days in a row before... what's going on? I haven't visited any bad websites or downloaded anything bad.

What are these things and how am I getting them? Help! Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

The first one is the virus which ESS removed.

The second is the copy of it Windows made in System Restore when ESS removed it. You are NOT infected by the second one. It's just lying dormant inthe System Restore folders. As long as you don't restore your PC back to a time when you had th virus you are still clean.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If I remember right they are both something to do with Dell support programs. I would follow the usual steps for getting a False Positive fixed.

4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thank you Paul and Funky for your replies.

What does this mean though:
    Event occurred during an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe.

(This was for the C:\System Volume Information\_restore{202550A8-7A33-4BCA-9586-051D24DDBF8F}\RP927\A0106100.ocx one)

Regards,
    Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.