Is Rising Firewall FREE?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tonyseeking, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

Is there a free version of Rising Firewall?

And is it one of the lightest firewalls on the market?

Will it work on Vista?

And what is there official website?

Are they a well known and reputable company who make it?

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

3. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

rising FW IS free

5. ThunderZ

Link?

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

7. ThunderZ

8. firzen771

i dunno bout that, wen i last used rising FW, it wasnt bundled with anything...

9. Fuzzfas

No, the link above is quite clear. OFFICIALLY, meaning in their website, there is no free version. They state, that if you buy the AV, you get the firewall for free.

HOWEVER, a free version, does exist and circulates in...unofficial sites. And while officially it doesn't exist, in the past, Rising support has said to members in Wilders' that a free version exists and will remain as such...

My understanding, is that officially, they use the firewall as a marketing tool : "Buy the AV and hey, we will throw a firewall for free too!". In this way, they present their AV as "good deal, since you pay 1 and take 2 products". If they had officially a link for the free version, the above 2 for 1 deal, would be without meaning. So, they release a free version but... unofficially.

How can i say... The free version, isn't supposed to exist, but it actually does! Simply Rising doesn't acknowledge its existence in the official site and the free version is distributed by "alternative channels".

This is all too weird and twisted for my taste, but a free version DOES exist.

10. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

I am trying 10 days and i liked it.

rfwz08.exe posted before (no asked key,should be 1 year free)

Attached Files:

11. ThunderZ

I`m with you.

When it comes to security apps. I go directly to the Vendor or just leave it alone.

12. Fuzzfas

I agree. It's also unfair to the paying users of the AV. I mean, they tell you "buy the AV and we will give you the firewall for free". While in reality, the firewall is ALREADY free, just somewhere else. So, it's a bit of a fraud for those who pay for the AV thinking that they get a "promotional 2 for 1 deal"...

Imagine if you were one of the people that buys the AV, to get also the firewall for free , only to come later here and find out that the firewall is really free to everyone! Basically, they propose a "2 for 1 deal" for the paying customers, with the slight detail that the 1 of the 2 products, is already free... This is like "buy my AV and you will also get Zone Alarm Free for free!" :argh: :thumbd:

13. ThunderZ

I am curious why they allow the free "unofficial" version to be circulated.

Does seem odd, and as you stated, a bit unfair to paying customers.

14. Fuzzfas

Odd is the right word to characterize them... If you search in the forum, there was an older free version, available at tucows too. That version was performing program update too, without problems. At some point, it decided to stop and it was saying to you that you had to buy it. Some forum member contacted them and they said it was a mistake, it was free and the pop up saying that you could no longer use it unless you pay was an unfortunate mistake. About that time, the free version that was in tucows was removed. BUT, if you still had it or find it from other places, it could still update to newer program versions without a problem and they even corrected the "pay" popup, which didn't occur again. Rising support even said that "the free version will remain free".

All this while in their site they had the "pay for the AV, get the firewall too" promo.

Then we have this new 2009 version, that circulates under 2 setups (one tagged 2008 and one 2009), which though are both the same version. At the site they still don't have a free version and keep going with the "promotion".

Also, if i am not mistaken, someone here mentioned that their firewall, after the 1 year period (license or free doesn't matter), gets deactivated. It's not that you can't update it, but it stops working too.

Yes, this is REALLY ODD!

15. ThunderZ

Always love playing with different apps. Always looking for that "perfect" blend of functionality and minimal resource usage.

This is one I am staying very clear of.

Others may see it different. Just stating my .02

16. karad

karad Registered Member

I cannot understand all the trouble about getting only the firewall:

ThunderZ gave the right link (second one) from the start, from there just click Downloads and you'll have all the download links.....

or go straight here:

http://www.rising-global.com/Published/Download/Index.htm

I didnt try it out yet, just downloaded the firewall today.

17. ThunderZ

To strange. An unsupported(?) unofficial(?) free release with links hosted on the Vendors site. :blink:

18. 2good

2good Guest

Had it on my system I tried to download the spyware program that comes with the suite & lo & behold its in chinese had to say no of course did some research on the antispyware & ran a cross prevex site where it had plenty of info about rising & let me tell you its not too good.went back to comodo.

19. Fuzzfas

I think the problem is here:

3. Please enter your Product Key and User ID when required.

Limitations:

31-day trial
    http://www.download.com/Rising-Firewall-2008/3000-10435_4-10515831.html?tag=mncol

20. firzen771

w/e u think, rising is a safe company, maybe strange but its definetly safe.

21. firzen771

its not unsupported, the free version is just unofficial.

22. Fuzzfas

True, because they had replied to someone (Firzen himself?) from the Rising support.

But in the official site, the downloads, seem to be 31 day trial (as clearly shown in download.com). The FREE version is in "alternative websites".

23. ThunderZ

:blink: I`m confused. o_O Nothing new. :D

24. Fuzzfas

ROFL! In the Rising site they say:

"RISING software free download instructions"

This means, the DOWNLOAD is FREE, not the PROGRAM!

So, they point to a link to download com for the firewall, which clearly says "31 day trial". For that reason in their site, they mention that there is need for Product ID (for the paying customer, after the trial).

So, OFFICIALLY, they give a 31 day trial and after that, paid version.

UNOFFICIALLY, they give the same version, as FREE (no key required), but NOT from their main website page. You have to look at the links here to get the free version:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=213858&page=6&highlight=Rising firewall free

Which, as you can see, are NOT mentioned in the official download page of Rising. But they contain the FREE version.

As i said, all this is way too twisted for me. There are other light firewalls out there without having to wonder about anything.

25. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

But isnt that a good thing being a Twistee n all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.