Microsoft Updates Firefox?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by AKAJohnDoe, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I noticed that add-on too. However, I didn't really pay any special attention since .NET is always installed on my system anyway. The behavior is a bit alarming, though, since it was forcefully installed without an option of uninstalling it.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Someone finally posts something worth worrying about. This is a new one on me, and unless people are missing a tibit of important information, MS has some explaining to do.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

What does it even do?

7. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It may not be compatible with FF 3.1b2. A lot of extensions and add-ons are not compatible. I have Auto updates on and am fully patched in high priority but don't see any extensions for .net under Tools>Add-ons. Searching the Registry for {20a82645-c095-46ed-80e3-08825760534b} in the Mozilla area came up empty. I am clean of this for now.

8. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I have read through this thread and the links and apart from the possibly underhand way of installing (even that is not clear cut http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/421171-NET-Framework-Assistant/) I still have not seen any serious issues mentioned regarding security.

Is there any security issue with this add-on or is everyone just upset because MS is involved?

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

On which versions of Windows does MS add this extension to FireFox?

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

From reading the mozillaZine Forum, it looks like Win XP only, although one poster said Vista and another poster contradicted that point. Does not seem to be a security issue at this point but it would be prudent to stay on yellow alert.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It did it on my Vista machine.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

elapsed, thanks for confirming that!

13. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Easiest way to get rid of it is move everything in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation\DotNetAssistantExtension in to a zip file with Firefox shutdown of course.

You could also delete, but moving to a zip allow for restore if needed.

After starting Fx it will be gone. enter about:config in the adress bar and filter for general.useragent.extra.microsoftdotnet, then right click and select reset restart Fx and the added user agent string will be gone.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello
    chrisreusn, your method seems to be the simplest - without registry hacking. I'm gonna write an article about this and credit you ...
    Mrk

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Not sure why but for me KB951847 is listed as an optional update and as I have no idea what Net Framework does I have never installed it on any of my machines. Do those of you who have is "update" have Net Framework installed ?

17. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I think everyone has atleast Net Framework 2 which is what I have. As far as I know some software won't run without it. Look in add/remove

Any advantages to 3.5?

18. chrisretusn

Thanks Mrkvonic, but that method is not 100% my idea. That belongs to Grail Knight over at DSLReports.com.

BTW, that is a great article and thanks for maintaining your outstanding a very informative web site. I've had your site bookmarked from sometime now and have referred many friends to your site. Your site has help win over a few converts to linux. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  19. chrisretusn

If you don't have any software installed that needs .NET Framework then you don't need it installed. Of the software I have installed only .NET Framework 2.0 is required. I just like to keep up to date.

This Fx extention only gets installed with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, it does not get installed with any lower version.

20. Long View

Long View Registered Member

No - No Net Framework needed nor installed. Every now and then I find a program that needs Net Framework and I just use an alternate.

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

22. against

against Registered Member

After installing this update i could not start Firefox using my usual sandboxie shortcut. Sandboxie attempted to launch the "default_browser", however it seems to silently fail and the sandbox falls back to being inactive.

Was able to temporarily "fix" this by disabling both MS DRM plugins that had been inserted in to firefox add-ons.

I'm sure the previous resolutions posted here would also fix this.

Just a heads up to SandBoxie+Firefox users.

23. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

OK I have NF 2 installed so I guess I have software that called for it. So far nothing has asked me to upgrade to 3.5.

24. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have Windows Update set for Prompt to Download and Prompt to Install on all of my PC's. Several days ago I got the prompt to download the very large Net Framework 3.5 on one of my PC's. I selected to download the update and a few seconds later the Windows Update tray icon disappeared. I never got a prompt to install the update. After reading this Thread, I checked both the Add/Remove Programs and the Firefox Addons and there was no trace of Net Framework 3.5. Tomorrow morning I plan to go to Windows Update (on all of my PC's) and block this update. My other two PC's never prompted me about the Net Framework 3.5 update. Strange!

25. mantra

mantra Registered Member

did you uninstall this microsoft component?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.