TIP: Win 98/ME freeze and shutdown

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bahjan, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

TIP: If Win 98/ME freezes at shutdown

If you are running Windows 98se or ME and having shutdown hangs and you've tried everything else try these:

For Win 98:
    1. apply Win 98 shutdown patch - most people know about this.

Windows 98/ME:
    2. Rule out damaged exit sound file.
    Go to Control Panel - double click Sounds or Multimedia. In 'Events' box click 'Exit Windows' In the 'Name Box' click 'None'. Click OK. Test Windows shutdown. If system does not hang, it is probably a corrupted sound file. Restore file from Windows disk or wherever you got it fromand try another shut down.

HOWEVER: my Windows 98se (with patch already installed) still hung even though no Exit sound was selected so I tried selecting one instead. Guess what? No hang at shutdown. Works probably because it slows the shutdown and allows processes to end. Seems logical to me as hangs quite often accompanied by 'windows busy' errors or programmes not responding at shutdown.

If this does not work see more instructions and further steps here:

http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php or search for 'Windows shutdown troubleshooter'.

Here's another thing you can try WIN98/ME ONLY:

THIS INVOLVES EDITING THE REGISTRY SO BACKUP Registry FIRST.

Start - Run - type 'regedit'
    Navigate to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop
    In the right hand pane create a new key (value) and name it 'ShutDownWaitTime' double click it and in the time box type 3000 ie 3 seconds. Click OK and close editor. Values can be 1000 to 9999 default is 1500, anything less than 1000 could cause a shutdown hang.

Restart and when system next shuts down, the programmes in the cue have more time. Timeouts are a common cause of hangs. You can increase the value if necessary by going through the same process.

I don't know if this would work with later systems so only try it if you know for sure.

Found this on WIKIHOW for speeding up performance of XP which seems to be a similar process to above - again BACKUP REGISTRY before you try it:

Improve your XP's shutdown speed. This tweak reduces the time XP waits before automatically closing any running programs when you give it the command to shutdown. Go to Start, run, and then type regedt32 and press Enter. Find "'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop", right click WaitToKillAppTimeout and select ‘Modify’ and then change the value to 1000, and press enter. Right click HungAppTimeout and select Modify. Change the value to 1000. Press enter and find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control", right click WaitToKillServiceTimeout and select ‘Modify’ and then change the value to 1000, and press enter.

Only thing I'd do is advise minimum value of 1500....but maybe that's just me..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks for this bahjan :thumb:

I've bookmarked this thread as I have an old unused 98SE machine that never would shut down. The thread is also timely because someone showed me an old 98 laptop Friday that wouldn't shut down either. Your information just might come in handy.

Cheers

3. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

Re: TIP: If Win 98/ME freezes at shutdown

Just a quick addition:
    Since I applied the registry command key 'ShutdownTime', which solved my shutdown freeze, when I boot up my laptop tells my I haven't shutdown properly and promptly runs Scandisk - I let it run once just to check but it boots fine if I exit out of Scandisk early. I tried lowering number to 2500 to no effect (at boot up at least) Don't really understand why windows hasn't recognised a proper shutdown, (maybe the registry addition bypasses something else??) Nevertheless, having assured myself that the HD has no errors, I tend to ignore it. Although letting scandisk run periodically isn't a bad idea. Either way, the machine seems to boot and run fine.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  4. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

Re: TIP: If Win 98/ME freezes at shutdown

Another Note:
    I just defragged the hard drive and to my surprise Scandisk didn't butt in - laptop booted up as it should......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.