SafeSpace

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by trjam, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I was cleaning out a couple of old snapshots in FD-ISR and found I still had this loaded. Been using it again for about a week and it is really a damn shame, this program did not get continued development. I honestly feel it may be one of two programs that actually can just about totally protect you by itself. It is about as close to the "one-all" program I have seen created yet.

You can still find the download, but Tidy ,you really should talk to maybe one of this smaller vendors, say Blue Ridge Networks for an example, and get SafeSpace to rise again. If a few of you smaller vendors would work together, you could really make a user friendly product that could wipe dung in the big boys faces. But you stretch yourselves so thin trying to compete against each other.

Oh well, I aint letting it go, like FD-ISR. It works great and protects. And that is another issue I want to rant about. Do you know why most of these smaller market apps die a quick death? Because they spend so many resources to try and make their product compatible with all the other crappy security products we run. If it were me, I would make my app to run with all Microsoft products and screw the rest. Either buy my product, which will totally protect you, or move on. That is like Edge, Defensewall, ShadowDefender, and Geswall just to name a few, that need to adopt the attitude of I make my product better all the time, but if you think I am going to waste the resources to make it compatible with product A or B, you are out of luck.

I also just realized that out of all 10 snapshots, I dont even have a AV loaded. Lol

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'd completely forgotten about SafeSpace. I had it on my desktop a year or so ago and felt perfectly safe with it. I don't remember what happened, except I did a format for some reason and lost it. For some reason I didn't save it to my second HD, and moved on to something else.

I never had a problem with SafeSpace. It's still available from a number of sites.

3. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

i liked SS very much too..a shame it passed away really..
    with all the rest i do not agree.
    so i make a super product that conflicts adobe pd,flash player,java,openoffice,maybe some ISR or imaging ones-we seen that too, e.t.c..
    no its not like that imho..some small vendors keep their jobs up by offering great support ,unlike some other b@stards that charge 1$/min phone call assistance and junk like that.
    anyway..i was as sad to see SS go down as i was with PG free :S
    Cheers for the rest to come

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Tooty-Hoot, Tooty-Hoot.:p

The money is not at Wilders, it is in the rest of the world. Most if not all buying consumers are only going to use what comes pre-loaded on their new computer. Period. So the first key is to get pre-loaded, but if not, make sure your product works with the most common pre-loaded programs. And then, you can create, market and sell a product that actually makes a profit.

The vast majority of malware specific products here, wont. Why? Because as members, we only have so much money we can spend. Lol

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I died before it could be mature. I miss it lot n lot. So bad.

6. osip

osip Registered Member

The only issue I had with SS was problems with Admuncher (for me essential)...A pity it was...Bufferzone could be an alternative...Hav'nt tried BZ for a while.

7. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

if that was the case,then symantec would sell as much as microsoft did(and more since licence fee is per year ;) ).i agree they prefer out of the box stuff and that one deal ole SS could offer.
    FYI one good percentage runs with no security on(and i do not mean with brain mode on) or expired and out of date 3 year older AV versions..
    anyway..back on topic..did you try pming him?maybe he plans to pick up on future?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I know Tidy well, Chris. Just hoping some time might help change things.

Anyway, just busting your chps earlier as you know I have a lot of respect for you.

SafeSpace is still good. It is so ironic that something no longer developed it better then most. And will kick Zemana butt when it comes to keyloggers.;)

9. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Is Safe space pretty much the same as Sandboxie?

10. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

It really is a shame. I had tested SS against a few keyloggers and malware and the program always impressed me. I did have a few little issues that Tidy was helping me with. One had to do with the scroll on the mouse pad. Another had to do with one of my favorite games that I still play today, BF2. For some reason SS had prevented the CD drive to communicate with punkbuster or something. Tidy did have solutions but I had to jump thru hoops to get it to work. Like you guys mentioned, it needed some more time to mature and probably could have become the end-all for realtime protection. (That's a bold statement)

Ice

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yeah it is a shame that Safespace became abandonware :oops: I used to think of it like SandboxIE but after a boobjob and makeover.

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes SafeSpace could be configured as a application virtualisation and a partition virtualisation Sandbox (so sort of combined functionality of Sandboxie and Returnil).

Also support was great

13. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

A prime candidate to be released as open source to allow development to continue IMO.

14. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

It wasn't abandoned, SafeSpace was a spinoff project:

Basically, SafeSpace's technology has been incorporated into AppSense's enterprise product. They closed the doors to home consumers. Oh well... they had a great product, too bad they were stingy.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FD-ISR still is as classic as it is always been plus 100% reliable after all this time and is nothing short of Legendary, i agree 110%. That app should have been a mainstay and still rollin along (even now) in it's original form. Nothing, and i mean nothing will ever compare to it. You just can't kill the thing no matter what thanks to it's archives (images) i like to call them.

EASTER

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

got a question, never used FD-ISR, but i use Rollback RX. arent they both basically the same thing, and what would be their differences?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.