Bad News re Wise Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am a long-time user of free version of Wise Registry Cleaner (WRC). If you also use it...

Be Aware that WRC now seeks to install an Ask toolbar. I opted out of that installation (I detest toolbars). Even so, when I ran Tiny Watcher it reported that WRC had created a file and a registry entry for the Ask toolbar as follows...

ScrHunt02 23-Jan-09.gif

The file that WRC created for Ask was 1.49MB. I had to manually uninstall this ap-cray from my computer.

I am VERY disappointed by the fact that, even though I opted out of the Ask toolbar, WRC still installed useless ap-cray on my computer, & (worse yet) did so in a furtive manner.

I am now seeking a replacement for WRC. Free or reasonably priced. Equal in power & safety. Any suggestions/links will be muchly appreciated.

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Mahalo for da heads up brah. No can stand sneaks and such.

SourMilk out

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Used to use Wise but ditched it in favour of RegSupremePro, not free but I believe it to be reasonably priced
    ($16.95)...and so far it has never caused me an issue.

http://www.macecraft.com/regsupremepro/

:D

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Eusing. Perhaps a bit aggressive. Review the entries it finds the first scan carefully. Nag screen on start-up with the free vers. But I have used it for quit some time.

I run a tweaked Explorer shell as well as some other tweaks. Once I added these entries to the ignore list I had no further problems.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

I am using the Tune Up Utilities 2007.It never let me down.Never had problems with it.You can google and find the free Tune Up Utilities 2007 from vnunet etc.

6. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Macecraft's RegSupreme Pro here too.
    As well as Hover Inc.'s RegSeeker (Free).
    Curious all these proggies find different entries.

7. bellgamin

In shadowmode, I tried RegSupreme Pro, Eusing, Free Windows Registry Repair, RegSeeker, & Comodo Registry Cleaner -- all are available from SnapFiles.

All of them are quite good, but I decided on the Comodo offering because it is fully as thorough as the others, AND also identifies safe versus unsafe changes.

Many thanks for your comments.

8. RedDawn

RedDawn Registered Member

Hi bellgamin,

Which version of WRC did this happen with?

I've been using WRC a while now due to your past recommendation :thumb: and first noticed the ASK toolbar on v3.92.0.0 (released on 17/1), I see there is now v3.93.0.0 available (released 22/1).

I've yet to upgrade to v3.93.0.0, but when I installed v3.92, I too declined the ASK toolbar and thankfully don't seem to have been dumped with those related entries you noted above.

I'm not fond of toolbars either, it seems an unfortunate trend these days that it's becoming more and more common to find them bundled along with free software. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the inclusion of these toolbars per se, I suppose these companys have to pay their bills somehow, but as long as the user can opt out of installing them if so desired.

Any chance you could follow up on your experience with Comodo Registry Cleaner after a few weeks of use, I would very much appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks, RD :).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  9. bellgamin

I first noticed the toolbar ploy with WRC 3.92. Hoping it was a 1-time crapola dump, I later tried 3.93. Same thing, so I uninstalled WRC.

By the way, I tried posting my grumble to WRC's forum -- but the forum link seems to be dead-end.

Rats! I trialed ComodoRegCleaner in shadow mode, but didn't fully test it. Now I have it truly installed & find that it does NOT make a back-up file of only the registry changes. Instead, it uses Windows System Restore to create a restore point. I do not use Windows System Restore (I disabled it & use an imager instead). Further, I fail to see the need for a full System Restore when a simple back-up of changes suffices for other registry cleaners.

Thanks to my incompetent testing, I have had to uninstall Comodo's thing & am once again on the hunt.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Bellgamin,

CCleaner registry cleaner is good + free.

I like 'Registry Healer' recommended by long time member, here HollywoodPC, but you should note this prompts for a system restore point + full back up.

I used 'Regseeker' for quite some time, until it trashed my computer, had to use the Acronis boot disc to restore.

Advanced System Care see Here is good.

Take Care Amigo
    Rico

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I use regseeker only in searchmode to look for remnants after uninstall applications and delete the leftovers manually, and as such its great. Cleaning mode is dangerous,way too aggressive.

BTW a very nifty tool to speed up your system is a good oldie TuneXP

http://www.download.com/TuneXP/3640-2086_4-10290928.html

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  12. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

bellgamin, I had tried Eusing and Wise side by side probably about a year ago and I discovered they found about the same so I dropped Wise. I still have Registry Mechanic, which I had a license for from work (I removed the renew nag file) and Eusing and it basically found the same. I have Comodo installed but had an issue with it a few months ago, however, I can't remember what it was. I know back then, from reading there forums, there were a lot of problems occuring so be careful. I've been a Reg cleaning junkie. I still use the last free version of RegCleaner and RegSeeker after uninstalls of software. Even using ZSoft or Revo uninstallers you can't believe the entries that are left behind. I only use RS in the search mode and have never had a problem. Last but not least, the best combination of safe yet thorough (often finding 100+) is an old app called CM DiskCleaner. I believe it is still around some of the freeware sites.

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Its basically a useless discussion because using these cleaners is a useless exercise in futility,many in the know will confirm that.Extensive tests are done comparing before/after results and always an outcome that very disappoint the cleaner junkies > no results for the better with registry cleaning !! So stay away from this stuff,its just outright dangerous ! :D

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Bellgamin, give Argente Registry Cleaner a try. It's been updating at very swift rate and right now it's the most safe of the 4 registry cleaners i have. Eusing and the last free version of JV16 Power Tools, delete a key of FD PC Rescue that disables it. Argente doesn't.

15. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

16. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have used Ace Utilities and the now System TuneUp.
    They have both worked great for me.

Another option that may be worth checking is Advanced System Care.
    The program does have a backup feature.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

17. bellgamin

If the discussion is so useless, why participate? :cautious:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Fuzzfas- I'll try it. Is there an English-language version?

@cet- Per your suggestion, I found the LINK for the Tuneup freebie. Trying it now. I like it!

@ALL- Here is a fairly interesting review of several reg cleaners.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Why ? Read again my explanation please. :D

19. Fuzzfas

Yes, the installation file is multilanguage. The first step is choosing language. But even after installation you can change it. Only the EULA is in spanish. But it's freeware and clean alright.

Download link is on the bottom of the page:

http://argentesoftware.blogspot.com/search/label/Argente - Registry Cleaner 1.5.5.2

20. bellgamin

I tried Argente & like it a lot! {Pronounced "ar-HEN-tay"?}

Will donate in near future.

21. Fuzzfas

I think so. I think the final "e" is pronounced just like the first one: "arhEnte" (with the "e" pronounced like in "telex"). Not an expert in spanish i am afraid, just the way i expect spanish to be from hearing it now and then.

It's a very good cleaner. Better than wise cleaner who was too "soft" for my taste. This one goes deeper, but is also very safe. Regseeker, Eusing, JV16 are more aggressive, but the first 2 don't find something serious after a pass with Argente. So now i have almost abolished the others and only use Argente. One of the others also somehow managed to reduce my headphones volume although audio settings in control panel are maxed out and the only solution was to reinstall the audio drivers.

Argente for me is so trouble free, that i am hesitant to update to new version, fearing some bug or that they will move to "deeper" cleaning that will do damage.

22. fistico

fistico Registered Member

Another FREE Registry Cleaner isVit Registry Fix 9.3 from VITSOFT.
    It has a Disk Cleaner and Registry Optimizer (for Registry Defragmention), too.

Download Page

Direct Link

-Anyone tried/test it?

The GUI is very nice for a FREEware.

Maybe, the experienced Registry users, here,
    can tell us how Vit Registry Fix is compared against
    other great -FREE- Registry Cleaners
    -RegSeeker,-C-O-M-O-D-O Registry Cleaner,
    -Argente Registry Cleaner

etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  23. bellgamin

Argh! That website is shrouded in white mist and written in what... Russian? Sanscrit? Hieroglyphics?

Anyhow, I have had my fill of testing reg cleaners for the moment (I settled on Argente because Fuzzy made me do it). I hope some adventurous soul will try Vitsoft & share his findings.

24. Fuzzfas

Yes, it's cyrillic alphabet, ukrainian site. Russians use the same alphabet.

I think you won't regret it. It's going pretty deep, but it isn't destructively aggressive. Now it's the only one i use regularly. I keep the other 3 i have only after Argente, for specific missions, and i carefully pick one by one the entried that i want deleted. While with Argente i let it delete everything it likes and to this day i haven't seen bad side-effects.

25. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.