New version 2.05b2

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Frederic, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi All,

First, thanks to all 2.05b1 beta testers who helped us to fix and improve this first 2.05b1 version.

So, here is the 2.05 Beta 02 version:
    - English version: http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/En/2.05b2/LooknStop_Setup_205b2.exe
    - French version: http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Beta/Fr/2.05b2/Installation_LooknStop_205b2.exe

As usually, no need to install the previous version to install this new one.
    Just answer Yes to setup program question.

Compared to the 2.05b1, the modifications are the following:

Added:
    • Application order in the Application Filtering page is now saved when restarting Look 'n' Stop.
    • Licence text is now translated when using a Language plugin.
    • Internet Filtering: addition of a context menu to Duplicate/Cut/Copy/Paste a rule.
    Changes:
    • Addition of an error message when the number max of fields is reached in the IP/Ports selection dialog box for applications.
    • Sorting the items by name in the Application Filtering has been time optimized
    • TCP Stateful Packet Inspection: the maximum number of monitored TCP connections has been set to 128 (instead of 64).
    • if the Automatic Selection is enabled for the Network Adapter, no selection occurs until the PC is considered as connected (instead of filtering by default the 1st adapter of the list)
    • in the Application filtering, applications having an IP/Ports selection appeared with a yellow icon now
    Fixes:
    • Hyper-Threading: new driver to fix some BSOD and CPU freeze.
    • Addition of missing strings for the translation plugin.
    • Addition of menu strings for the translation plugin.
    • When the number max of field was reached in the IP/Ports selection dialog box, all the fields were reset after a Look 'n' Stop restart.
    • In the rule edition dialog box reset of some hidden fields when the protocol has been changed (in particular TCP Flags when changing from TCP to UDP). This problem exists also with the 2.04 version.
    • in some particular cases (reserved field not set to 0) the TCP Stateful Packet Inspection could reject some valid incoming connections requests
    • in case of a quick disconnection and reconnection a new IP address was not updated in the ruleset (for rules using "equal my @")
    • it was possible to create a rule with a right click on log items even when the configuration was locked with a password
    This version will expire by May, 2003, the official 2.05 or a new beta will be available before.

To re-install the 2.04 over the 2.05b2, two solutions:

1- uninstall the 2.05b2, reboot, reinstall 2.04, reboot
    2- remove lnsfw.vxd/lnsfw1.vxd (Windows 9x/Me) or lnsfw.sys/lnsfw1.sys (2000/XP) and remove fwapi.dll, then execute the 2.04 setup and reboot

Regards,

Frederic

2. richter

richter Registered Member

After upgrading to beta 2 I'm unable to browse. LnS cuts me off and I'm unable to do anything (send email, browse, chat) until I shut down LnS. I just installed this version over the beta 1. Settings remained the same so it shouldn't be configuration error. Was I supposed to uninstall old beta before installing this one? I am also not sure weather it is LnS related or not, but I do experience small "cut offs" during certain amount of time spent online. I tend to open 10 or so windows at once (reading news) and wait until they all load and then I disconnect to read them. Some pages open fully while some of them are "loading" while I don't see any activity going on and pages are still blank. I disconnect and they show, uncomplete, of course, after a few minutes. It could be browser related. I'm not certain.

I apologise if I was supposed to post in new thread. If admin would be kind enough to split it, if needed.

Thank you,

richter

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No problem to have posted here.

Just to determine where the problem comes from, could you deactivate the Application Filtering or the Internet Filtering and let Look 'n' Stop activated, and tell us if it works without one of the filtering.

Thanks,

Frederic

4. richter

Hello,

Just in case, I did clean install to see if upgrade might have caused a problem. It didn't work. When I disable Internet Filtering everything starts working instantly. Application filtering is enabled and doesn't seem to be causing a problem. I'm using enhaced ruleset. I hope this might help you a little bit.

regards,

richter

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Could you check the network interface is correctly selected in the options ?
    There was some change there in this new beta.

Also, does the Look 'n' Stop log show some special alert ?

Do you activated the Protocol filtering in the advanced options ?
    You can also try to deactive it.

Frederic

6. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

working flawlessly here as usual, good job ;)

7. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey richter

I assume the Protocol Filtering settings became reset, please remember we had to before manually allow the Protocol Driver “WANARP.SYS” in Protocol Filtering settings… ;)

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, perhaps this is what happened, but anyway when updating from 2.05b1 to 2.05b2 the already specified protocols should have stayed there.
    If not there is a bug somewhere.

Frederic

9. Phant0m

Yes Frederic

Look in the active topic below, there does seem to be a bug when upgrading.... :(

10. Phant0m

Hey Frederic

The increase of TCP SPI Maximum number of monitored/allowed connections from 64 to 128 still does zip for me, like usual I have to keep that TCP SPI Feature disabled.

And as I had said before Look ‘n’ Stop is the only Firewall I’m aware of to include TCP SPI with these types of restrictions.

I hope it will be soon possible to use this very crucial Feature! :mad:

11. richter

The interface is selected correctly.

The log only shows that when Internet Filtering is enabled that LnS is "blocking" DNS lookup - port 53 - and I've got 50 of the same logs and that's it.

Enabling internet filtering and disabling protocol filtering does the trick. I made sure that all protocols were allowed, as Phant0m`` said above.

12. Phant0m

Hey richter

In Internet Filtering screen does it show “Protocol” alerts, for Rule-name belonging to the DNS packets entries that’s being blocked?

In any case there is identified problem with Protocol Filtering and people using Protocol Driver WANARP.SYS, at the moment seems to be problem with those who upgrades from v2.05b1 that had this Protocol Driver Allowed in the Protocol Filtering List.

Please read https://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?action=display;board=13;threadid=23118;start=15#msg137080

13. richter

I guess Frederic is working on it right now. :)

Thanks for referring me to that topic.

Keep up the good work!

14. Phant0m

Hey richter

No problem! :D

15. manuangi

manuangi Registered Member

thank you!

the new version seems to be working like a charm! ;)

16. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

The new version is up and running like a champ on my system...The new version solves all of the Hyper Threading problems I was having!!!! Frederic, as always, Another Great Job ;) !!!

Regards,
    Kent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.