Largest Computer Infection In History - Exploding Worldwide

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LockBox, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Note to mods: Normally, I would place something like this in "news" but this is of such monumental importance that I felt it should be posted here where the most Wilders members and visitors will see it. Technically, there may not be a more important software issue anyway, as it has to do with the need for an immediate patch to Windows. So far, up to eight million computers have been infected.

From The Washington Post:

A sneaky computer worm that uses a virtual Swiss army knife of attack techniques has infected millions of Microsoft Windows PCs, and appears to be spreading at a fairly rapid pace, security experts warn.

Also, while infected PCs could be used for a variety of criminal purposes -- from relaying spam to hosting scam Web sites -- there are signs that this whole mess may be an attempt to further spread so-called "scareware," which uses fake security alerts to frighten consumers into purchasing bogus computer security software.

The worm, called "Downadup" and "Conficker" by different anti-virus companies, attacks a security hole in a networking component found in most Windows systems. According to estimates from Finnish anti-virus maker F-Secure Corp., the worm has infected between 2.4 million and 8.9 million computers during the last four days alone.

Kaspersky Labs is now saying the F-Secure estimate in the article above is too low!

CNN Report:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/ptech/01/16/virus.downadup/

PC World on How To Protect Your Computer from Conficker Worm :
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/1578...ting_worse_heres_how_to_protect_yourself.html

PC World Explains The 3 Avenues of Infection of Conficker/Downadup:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/157876/protecting_against_the_rampant_conficker_worm.html

The Register: Superworm seizes 9m PCs, 'stunned' researchers say
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/16/9m_downadup_infections/

Microsoft issued a patch in October, so for those with automatic Windows Update - you're okay. But, many of us like to select what we update and what we don't. This is a must patch, The above articles stress the importance of patching your system now against this vulnerability that has caused what Symantec is now calling an "epidemic." Trend Micro says in the last 24 hours that Conficker/Downadup infections have spun "out of control."

Read the PC World "How To" article above or download the patch from Microsoft here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx

Remember to help out loved ones, friends, etc. who may not understand all this like we do. This is the real deal.

2. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

This Microsoft patch is't from 21 November in my PC ( $hf_mig$ ).

Thanks, Gerard and Steve (Ballmer)!:argh:

Yours PROROOTECT

3. suliman

suliman Registered Member

Unfortunately its not cool to run as non-admin so I have no luck in helping them... :/

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

With the code microsoft makers have fashioned you can expect an ETERNAL patch job throughout it's run, however long or short that might be.

OT: Been reading up some pretty good articles on those wormies for awhile and they are only the tip of the iceberg.

Wait till some master-mind devises and releases a bundled malicious that performs multiple duties and scratches the MBR all in one swoop bringing down even coverages that we all right now take for granted, and Windows 7 isn't in any way going to be magically immune from total destruct and/or stealth either.

Still, i say untill they ever find a way to hijack the componants of electrical current that branches thoughout into the circuit board, effectively frying the mobo, they are only wasting their time trying to top their own ego.

EASTER

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Whatever the cause, we have a serious problem now that needs to be addressed. There's all these millions of computers getting infected and the researchers say the scary thing is they don't even know what the perps have in mind! This thing lies dormant until its told what to do, the people at F-Secure say if executed, this infection, the way it's spreading could do some very serious damage. While I may agree with certain sentiments expressed in the posts here, I think it's time to hold the blame game until this immediate crisis (Symantec's language, not mine) is under control. It sounds like some don't take this seriously since it's an ongoing problem with patches and Microsoft products. This is more than that.

On Edit: Everyone has a right to their opinion. I'm just saying this shouldn't turn into a debate thread about Microsoft and patches.

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Removal Tool from Symantec

7. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Global Threat Ratings by several vendors:

Kaspersky
    Symantec
    McAfee
    Panda
    Norman
    Trend

threat.PNG

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.