About Online Armor?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

does anybody have tested Online Armor againts malware?does it fully protect your system againts malware attack?i tried to find in google some reference about online armor test reviews but had no lucko_O does anybody knows any test review links or something similar?thanks:thumb:

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Try the new Beta 3, it is also available in Canadian :p

It has also more features for the free version (I am running the Dutch beta 3 now)

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

OA is a classical HIPS and very well indeed. Without doubts I can say that it will handle any type of malware very well. It stands on top in leak tests that is an indirect evidence of being a nice HIPS.

The only shortage in OA that I can think of is File Defence but not a big deal as it has atleast basic file defence( create executable interception).

6. Kees1958

But the paid version has the option to
    a) Not be warned when an unknown executable starts
    B) Run the unknown executable in a limited user environment.

This implies file protection via SRP (you can check it with killdisk and other malware). Limited user also imples that you do not have to think about it yourself.

For someone being the admin of a home PC this has the advantage that
    a) less experienced users are not confronted with questions they can not answer (or will propblably answer wrongly), while still maintaining corporate style safety policy (and even better with OA's additional execution intrusion prevention).
    b) when the admin uses the PC again he/she can check the programs. Any new programs which are unclassified (remember OA has a white list) are shown in GREY, same can be done with automatics startups and internet access. So afterwards the admin can agree or remove the programs.

The guys from Comodo always use brute development manpower to implement user firendliness and safety. Off course the have the mobey and the resources, Mike and his team proove that you can achieve same or better effects by thinking out of the box = smarter (why implement file defence when you can achive solid security with LUA)

Very smart! ;) if I may say so :p

7. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

for me the only drawback (and as a vista user,the reason i have uninstalled its H.I.P.S) is the lack of registry guard,not file guard

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool;)

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know the post is about online armor but if i want to choose between online armor and comodo to be use with defensewall which one will you advise to use and why?thanks again:thumb:

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know that with defense plus i could get files/folders and registry protection :thumb: it is cool addition to defensewall hips;)

11. illicit

illicit Registered Member

Don't think you could go wrong with either really. Both set ups would be solid. Go with personal preference. :thumb:

12. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

haven't you already trialed OA?

Mike

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i was trying the free version but conflicts with processguard,got rid of processguard i will try it again or just download the free version in my wife's laptop:thumb:

15. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

I tested OA against some real malware, and OA was always able to block it.
    Of course, if people don't read the popups, the malware may be allowed to run, but hips are not signature based.

Sometimes, OA alerted me that the program was dangerous, but the virus database isn't that big.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

IMO start up registry defence might be enough for most users. I am using CFP and I get a lot of pop ups about registry stuff really.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The one u like and runs good on ur system and with ur software.

CFP- lot more pop ups and lot more settings, more granular control, full registry defence and full file defence, file heuristics from AV engine incorporated into HIPS pop ups( I love this feature, it gives false positives but has a very good detection of malware without need of signatures, that is good for advanced users suing a HIPS). Also full file defence makes most of classical malware pretty useless.

OA- less pop ups, less granular but interception remians good. White list can be used in all modes( in CFP you can use white list only in safe mode). No need to make a rules and answering infinite pop ups but you still get enough pop ups to intercept any malicious action. Nice blend of user friendliness and security.

Sometimes it,s difficult to choose between the two.

18. Kees1958

When you are looking for a good HIPS with network control, then Malware Defender offers good and flexible most granular control (with its subgroups and priority ranking clearity of rules). It is also the lightest HIPS by far, I have ever had on my PC.

With DefenseWall and GeSWall, I would opt for Online Armor (the new 3.1 beta), two reasons:
    a) OA has startup entry protection, so this is sufficient to keep your system clean
    b) Both DefenseWall and GesWall have strong registry protection for HKLM hive (which is the most important)

Other registry pollution is easily tackled CCcleaner or Argenta or Comodo or (lots f freeware) and low risk infection with the occasional scan of A2, SAS or MBAM (the free versions).

Both OA + Comodo provide a lot of safety

Best combo's OA + Avast (standard shield only for write) + GeSWall and OA + Avira free (also write only) + DW. Main reason it seemed to work best (fast) on my home PC (you can only try this yourself by actually running some combo's).

Off course Avira tackles also a lot of zero day malware with its excellent heuristics (new version has advanced heuristics).

With defenseWall you could also add your own file and registry protection by adding keys and files to resource protection. Ilya has added all my registry protection rules in DefenseWall as a standard (or better they are derived from Tony Klein a Wilders Member who also helped Mike of Online Armor with autostart entries).

Both DW and GW defend the HKLM hive plus some HKU entries (at least DW does). They also have file protection (on C:\ root, Windows and Programs Files).

So Comodo's flexible registry and file defence really is an overlap, unless you are like Easter and Alycon who implemented that big time with EQS 3.41

Cheers Kees

NB currently back to OA 3.1 beta + Avast + GW, after having tried OA 3.1 beta + Avira 9 beta + DW 2.46, both combo's ran fine (just that I have given my DW lisence to my Mom and I also own a GW Pro lisence)

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Kees, let me say you are confused what to use and what not. You are lost in so many choices. :D :D :D

20. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Everybody has a lot of choices, except those who artifitially limit their choices :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks eagle,kees and all the other fellows whose advice is like a treasure for me:thumb:
    i tried both and so far for my xp2 the fasted is comodo;) it is very fast very easy to configure and i really love the fact that you the user can exploited to the maximus:thumb: i love the D+ love it to harden iexplore to denny driver installers and protect files/folders and denny acces to write to the hard drive in real time,also blocks to run executables via msn messenger and browsers:thumb: i get less pop ups too;) running Comodo with DefenseWall is like a dream come true:thumb: thanks for all advises and if you have more coments dont feel shy to tell me please thaks again:thumb:
    note:eek:nline armor is paid(full version)
    comodo is free(full version)

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

If you don't like to pay for s/w, I'd recommend you to install Linux. All you are excited of is available there (safe browsing, messaging), it works definitely faster than Windows and costs nothing :)

23. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

Using CFP with D+ and its gr8, all u hsve to do to not have ur head explode from pop ups is go to D+ settings and put all ur known safe signed apps into trusted apps, after doing this now i only get pop ups for apps that arent signed by the ones i derined

24. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

This thread should be "About Online Armor", not about comparatives and Comodo :isay: :p :D

BTW, Comodo now by default has some protection deactivated (Proactive Security), and I suppose that's the reason why it gives less pop up.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  25. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I installed OC ver. 3 yesterday on XP and experienced a very noticeable system slowdown.
    After one day of no improvement in boot or surfing speed, I uninstalled it and am looking for something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.