Spyware Guard 2008 takes over computer

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by true north, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi there,

Since New Year 2009 a software called SpywareGuard2008 pops up all the time in connection with the Windows Security Center and started scanning. That all looks like a software scam but I can NOT stop it or get it off like delete or remove. it comes up again. After removing file and folders and restart the computer it is there again. WHAT can I do o_O
    Every help is appreciated.

true north

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. redtriangle

redtriangle Registered Member

I have a recent infection of Spywareguard2008 and Antivirus2009. I have read the blogs and followed the suggestions. I have found some of the following clearly see the infection but can't remove it: AdAware did not correct it, Spyblaster didn't, Spydoctor didn't, ... Some blogs elsewhere said SpyHunter was capable - it wasn't.... So!, any real help out thereo_O? And so I'm continuing my findings: PC Tools Spyware Dr finds the malware - and even acts as if it was removed and blocked - but DOESN"T; the pop-ups continue unabated.... I even located it in the quarantine and 'removed' it but it survived that too. Now I've tried XoftSpySE - it didn't even find it - as the pop-ups and other irritations continued.... Another thing - it seems to prevent my Firefox from working properly - can't get it to run, so I'm stuck with IE....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi there,

I followed the recommendations here posted and downloaded SuperAntiSpyware Free.
    After a deep scan I removed all items belonging to Spyware Guard 2008 (49) and two "fake" Windows Security Center Alarms. I followed the instruction of SAS and after reboot everything was clean. NO MORE pop-ups or other SpywareGuard2008 related issues.
    Thanks all of you for your help !!!!!!

True North

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

true north, glad to hear that SAS helped you. Hopefully, redtriangle will do the same and that PC will come back to life. Thanks for posting back. Take care.

7. redtriangle

redtriangle Registered Member

Hi ya'll -
    the suggested malware correcting program did find the infections, but I was unable to get it to remove them. Then it started to prevent my Firefox from connecting - in fact, it kept "encountered an unexpected error and needs to shut down" to the point I was left with IE. Then IE wouldn't recognize and web sites. I got a hold of Cyber Defender phone number on my laptop, talked with Rahul in India, started the PC in Safe Mode with Networking and Rahul remoted in to correct the infection and re-establish Firefox' functionality. It was a $99 fix but only 30 minutes lost, whereas the researching and all other avenues were getting me nowhere. Hope this helps a bit...

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Hi redtriangle, did you get MBAM (or SAS) to scan and attempt to remove in safe mode?
    When MBAM has completed a scan and finds locked objects, it prompts to remove them on reboot. Did that happen?

9. tadasops

tadasops Registered Member

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi redtriangle :) stick around awhile and read how others have a recovery and prevention plan.

11. tipo

tipo Registered Member

use MALWAREBYTES ANTYMALWARE! u will never want something else

12. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Always have an antivirus w/ antispyware installed on your PC (ie. Avast! or AVG) and a firewall (hardware or software)

Also, have 2-3 anti-malware scanners just in case some nasties slipped through (I recommend MBAM, SAS and HijackThis)

You can also try a lightweight security suite which provides all this protection (ie. Comodo Internet Suite, ESET Security Suite)

Try to learn the basics of system virtualization and imaging. That is the best security solution in most of today's PC problems.

13. Neil1970Poole

Neil1970Poole Registered Member

Found this interesting link that has a standalone removal tool for SpywareGuard (plus its free) that does not get blocked from running. It is best to run it in safe mode but also quite effective in normal mode. Please note do not change the name of the file from rundll32.exe

Heres the link where you can download it (and yes spent many hours searching for this).

http://net-studio.org/application/spyware_guard.php

Good luck everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.