is dr web v5 av a reliable replacement ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kasperking, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hello i've been a kis 8 user till now but would like to move to another av as i've got myself outpost pro 2009 i was thinking of dr web but the threads here talk of problems with v5 so can someone enlighten me on the stability and reliability of dr web. Also does it scan web traffic?btw.... It is in not a v/s b atleast in my perception...thanks

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I can't answer all your questions, but as to whether it is reliable, yes. A lot of people use Dr.Web's stand-alone AV scan/removal program CureIt.

Also depends on how much you want web scanning. Some people don't care for it, some do. eg. two popular ones that provide it are Avira premium and Avast free.

But rather than asking, you might want to see if it is compatible.

I've read threads and finally made up my mind on some programs only to be disappointed to see a BSOD or slowdowns. Give Dr.Web a try and let us know how it goes. :thumb:

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

isnt v5 still beta?? so personally i would not totally switch to it yet till its actually released if your machine is a every day machine..

4. icr

icr Registered Member

its fairly stable:thumb: some members in this forum use Dr Web Security Space
    C.S.J and risl to name few they can help u:thumb:

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's reliable in my experience.

The major recent issue was a mishandled database update. Virtually all vendors have experienced similar issues over the years at one time or another. Some are more severe, some less so. It was quickly addressed.

I've seen no stability issues through the beta. There were a couple of mentions of Outpost in the bugtracker, one resolved, one still open in connection with mail. May or may not be pertinent. Trial and see.

V5 can scan web traffic if desired.

Blue

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Security Space is very reliable here, no hiccups as of yet.

Security Space does scan web traffic, and browsing speed has no slowdowns, Personally i dont want the Parental Control feature, so i choose not to even install that.

give it a try, and let us know your thoughts.

No, V5 has formed into Security Space, i wouldnt say its the full V5, more of an intermediate release, but features/enhancements will probably keep arriving every few months or so through 2009, with the firewall probably arriving next.

Security Space added the new engine, scanner, http scanner, self protection and parental control as the main module improvements.

No problems here whatsoever, however... the beta was a different story, i had big incompatibilty problems during the beta, so i suggest Kasperking check that it does not interfere with his outpost firewall, i dont think it will.

any further questions, just ask.

still a Drwebber? :D

7. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

It's reliable and has great support by Dr.WEB guys.

You should definitely give it a try and find out if it fits your needs :thumb:

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Yes. It's a product with a good balance of traits for my needs.

Blue

9. Barney

Barney Registered Member

I have always loved DRWEB. Even now, I still like version 5. But for some reason, the HTTP scanner slows me down so much it isn't even funny. I think I may just have to bite the bullet and just completely turn off the HTTP feature. Hmmm....that is kind of funny. I run DRWEB but find that it only meets my speed requirements with every feature turned off (eg. enhanced protection mode, scanning programs and modules, spidermail, http scanner, parental control). I think it may be time for me to make a change. Sorry to say, I think DRWEB has made that distinct plunge towards being "symantec bloatware".

Barney

10. icr

icr Registered Member

I was thinking of switching to Dr web:blink:
    as i tested the beta but didn't lik though:'(

11. thehudd

thehudd Registered Member

I have a long term license available with the good doctor and used it with great success. However, I've recently gone to a 64 bit operating system and am patiently waiting for Dr. Web to to release a compatable version. Any chance of that happening "relatively" soon?

12. cdr

cdr Registered Member

:) Dr. Web Security Space is working very well on my laptop (Windows XP Home Edition, SP3). No problems so far...:D

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hmm, this definatly should not be the case, have you contacted support?

Majority of customers give performance increases compared to 4.44, and i certainly agree with this.

14. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Well, before when I was running version 4.44, everything was working fine. I even had Kaspersky 2007 installed on my system as a backup AV. It seems that with version 5, my system keeps locking up completely to the point of having to press the "reset" button on my computer. Another thing that pisses me off is that it also seems to lock up every time it "autoupdates". By the way, is there any way to turn off auto updates. I absolutely hate this option. If somebody out there thinks that Kaspersky is the problem, then maybe I might try uninstalling it, but I have it completely disabled in the background so it really shouldn't be causing lockups. Anyway, that is my dilemma. I may go back to version 4.44 for my remaining 18 months or look into Nod32. Anybody have any suggestions?

Barney

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm yes, kaspersky should not be installed.

un-install both, then install Drweb V5.

This will definatly be your problem, after you do this, you will notice that V5 is even faster than 4.44 ;)

16. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Well, I uninstalled KAV 2007 and now attempting to uninstall DRWEB but am unable to. If I remember correctly, to uninstall, I just simply go through the same steps as installing but choose the "uninstall" option. Well, after I double click on the DRWEB file, it states "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I was able to perform this function yesterday, so I don't know why I can't do it now. Does anybody have any idea what is going on here. Is there another way to uninstall this program? Thanks.

Barney

17. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

19. risl

risl Registered Member

I use the AV only because I don't see a reason why I should have a HTTP scanner. The program is stable and reliable atleast for me. I like minimalistic programs and since Dr.Web was troublefree and worked well, I bought it in September/07 and still don't see a reason why to change. Completely satisfied with the product.

20. icr

icr Registered Member

Have just installed trial Dr Web SS with MBAM and SAS everything is working fine:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
    one problem though scans are very slow

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

after your initial full scan, untick archives and mail in the scanner settings.

This will speed up your scans, without losing any security.

Happy new year to you.

22. risl

risl Registered Member

What file are you trying to access? It should uninstall without problems if you select it from Control Panel -> Add or Remove programs.

But anyway, it sounds like the self-protection module is on your way and blocking access to Dr.Web files. To solve this you should disable the self-protection from SpiDer Agent, but I would recommend uninstalling in a way I already described.

23. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Thanks everybody, I did finally figure out my problem. I uninstalled KAV2007, and reinstalled DRWEB 5 with HTTP monitor running. I don't get the lock ups anymore, but I still find it noticably slower than before. I will keep it installed for a month or so to see if some miraculous patch comes out that corrects my problem. If not, I can always go back to DRWEB 5 without http monitor. Anyways, dows anybody know how to disable automatic updating. I have searched everywhere for the option to do that but could not find it. Thanks.

Barney

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

glad the big problem is at least fixed for now.

http monitor running slow?... you shouldn't notice any speed difference between it being enabed or disabled, have you tried disabling SpiderGate and testing if it improves your surfing speed, it should be the same.

why on earth would you want to disable automatic updating?

.. anyway, its easy to do.

1. Open Task Scheduler (on windows)

2. locate Dr.Web Update

3. Right Click, then select Disable.

4. When you wish to re-enable Automatic updates, same again, only right click and Enable.

Simple! ;)

25. Barney

Barney Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Here is the funny thing. If I disable the HTTP monitor I see a small speed increase. But if I have DRWEB 5 basic installed (without HTTP monitor), I see a very noticable increase in surf speed.

Barney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.