How to hardened Sandboxie for online banking?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by fce, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

I just want to know what should i need to change on my default sandboxie setup to hardened my sandboxie (paid version)?

Btw, i always do online transaction/banking.

Also, why is that everytime i downloaded a file or program over the internet it didn't show on my item to recover in sandboxie? but if i'm using torrent, i can see the file that are ready to recover.

thanks in advance!

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I would add IE to forced programs list (just do by name "iexplore.exe") and then open IE, do banking and close IE as soon as done. You can then right click on sandboxie icon in notification tray and "Terminate all programs" for good measure to make sure tracks are purged ASAP.
    I noticed this too - just starting sandboxie myself. I noticed if I just download by left click of link instead of right click and "save target as", it's more likely to offer qucik recovery but maybe there's a better way to do it. In any event, you should be able to browse into sandbox with windows explorer and copy out what you want.

That's my take on it for a starting point. Probably more experienced users can give you a more elegant or airtight way to do these things.

There's also a forum run by the developer at http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Have you tried checking here? That's what allows me the immediate save to same or other folder option.

Capture.JPG

philby

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also check and make sure you are downloading to one of the locations eligible for recovery.

5. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

As well forcing certain programs to be run sandboxed, eg iexplore.exe, firefox.exe etc. under settings>resource access>internet access, choose the ONLY programs you wish to be able to access the internet.This means ( i believe ) if you download a virus with the same name (eg,firefox.exe ) during a sandboxed session,it cannot access the internet.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

1)Allow only your browser(s) to access the internet

2.png

2)Allow only your browers to start and run in sandboxie

1.png

3)If your using the beta 3.33 version, drop rights feature

3.png

You may need to add some of your programs (or not) to 1 or 2 to fit your needs

7. fce

fce Registered Member

what's the advantage or how does this 3 item work to protect me during online banking/transaction?

how's my KIS, will it access the internet for updating when i follow specially item 1?

8. fce

fce Registered Member

i have the same setting.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The settings he showed you prevent the majority of keyloggers from working inside the sandbox and stealing your data. For any script-based threats, I always recommend Firefox with the "NoScript" extension. Configure SandboxIE right and use Firefox with a couple of extensions, and malware and data thieves would find it almost impossible to cause you any problems.

10. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

So the new features should eliminate the need for custom rules under edit configuration?

11. fce

fce Registered Member

also how can i use Sandboxie to protect my "D" Partition.

thanks!

12. Criss

Criss Registered Member

What is this drop rights feature?? When i enable it, i cant open firefox in sandboxed and they give me an error message.

13. agagouga

agagouga Registered Member

To block read access to D: for any app in the sandbox:

Sandbox Settings -> Resource Access -> File Access -> Block Access ...
    There you should add D: :thumb:

Otherwise, sandboxie will protect anyway your data from modifying

14. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

Great post LoneWolf. ;)

15. LoneWolf

16. fce

fce Registered Member

i can't use my yahoo messenger webcam, it keep on crushing eventhough i included yahoomessenger.exe in the list of allow to access the internet and start/run in sanboxie. I also included yupdater.exe

what else should i include in "Allow only your browser(s) to access the internet
    and "Allow only your browser(s) to start and run in sandboxie"?

do i really need to include only the browser? because i cant use my utorrent...if i include utorrent or more program, the purpose of blocking any keyloggers will be useless?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  17. LoneWolf

Try including ypager.exe also.

You can include utorrent or any other program you need for the net, If something bad gets in your sandbox it should'nt be able to start/run or have access to the internet. Don't forget to empty your sandbox when your done with your browsing session and before attempting any banking or shoping online.

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes,glad Tsuk incorporated that in the GUI.

19. fce

fce Registered Member

it didn't work. It says "Windows Command Processor has stopped working".

if i disable forced program just to run Yahoomessenger, the webcam is working fine.

see attached of my setting both for internet access and start/run access.

Attached Files:

20. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Try editing sandboxie.ini and add "yahoom~1.exe" to the processgroup (minus the quotes).

21. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

Have you tried putting those programs into the Start/Run Access tab?

22. fce

fce Registered Member

yes.

also, when i open utorrent i got dllhost.exe - Application Error. This was happen when i change SBXIE internet access and start/run set up.

23. fce

fce Registered Member

how?

btw, do you have YM running in Sandboxie?

thanks

24. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Yes, I do run YM and am able to access the cam using Sandboxie.

To edit the sandboxie.ini, double click the sandboxie system tray icon which will open up Sandboxie Control window then go to Configure > Edit Configuration. A text file will then pop up and you can manually enter yahoom~1.exe to the processgroup line of your sandbox i.e:

ProcessGroup=<InternetAccess_DefaultBox>,yahoomessenger.exe,yahoom~1.exe,...other programs.exe

25. fce

fce Registered Member

i got cmd.exe application error (application failed to initialize), then windows command processor has stopped error message.

any info?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.