Cannot Boot Imported Snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Smerling, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smerling

Smerling Registered Member

I have a Vista Home Premium system with FirstDefense-ISR Professional (Version 3.20, Build 202) successfully installed. I recently reinstalled Vista and FDISR on a new hard drive. I exported a snapshot of my C: partition from my old hard drive drive and have attempted unsuccessfully to imported it into my system installed on my new hard drive. Each time I try to boot up the imported snapshot I receive an error message that I must place my Windows install disk in the CD/DVD drive and restart my computer in order to repair my system.
    More precisely, the error message is as follows: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer, 2. Choose your language setting and then click 'Next,' 3. Click "Repair your computer." The error message goes on to mention "File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe" and then says "Information: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."
    My fear is that if I repair Windows my FDISR installation will be undermined and I will lose all my snapshots, including several that work just fine. Can anyone advise me how to proceed?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

With any change in hardware, I am not totally surprised it didn't work..Don't suppose you imaged the drive first?

Pete

3. cheese

cheese Registered Member

Hi Smerling,
    I just posted a solution to the problem that is probably the same as yours here.

If you archive your Vista snapshots after fixing the BCD, you should be able to get them to work on a different drive. Of course, if you change the rest of your system as well, i.e. motherboard, CPU, etc, then all bets are off ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.