Finished Install Prematurely

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by elapsed, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

First time I've ever seen this error. I was upgrading my ESS to the latest version manually, when I realized I had accidentaly downloaded EAV instead and it installed over ESS, eating it up completely. Why it could do that? I'm not sure.

Now having realized my stupidity I downloaded the ESS installer and installed it over EAV, it ate it, then asked me to restart my pc.

So after restarting my pc, I notice that ESS is non-existant. No startup, no uninstall option, nothing. :eek:

I try to install it again, and it stop when it's installing the drivers, and ends prematurely, I've tried cleanup utilities: Microsofts, CCleaners.. Manually removing reg entries and app/program folders. I noticed an ESET driver which I removed with autoruns. Nothing can get it working.

Now I'm using EAV and windows firewall because ESS simply won't install this driver, any ideas?

My install log: Link removed pending discussion with poster.

Also notice this is blank:
    WinXP Home SP3 32bit

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  2. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

delete c:\windows\inf\infcache.1 (the file might be hidden), reboot and try to install again.

3. elapsed

Sorry I didn't mention I already tried this.

4. elapsed

The log that got removed is here

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Did you have another anti-malware program from another company previously installed on the computer? If so, what was it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. elapsed

That machine came with an install of bitdefender trial years ago, not sure how that would affect this though, since I've previously installed ESS with no problems. As said above, it's a problem related to one of the eset products.

7. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

i would uninstall NOD32, then manually delete leftovers, reinstall lan drivers, run winsock fix and try again

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I wonder if there may still be a component of ESET's software still present on the computer. Try downloading a copy of ESET SysInspector from ESET, creating a log file and then searching through it for the text "ESET". Aside from objects related to ESET SysInspector (the executable and its anti-stealth driver) are any other ESET programs present on the system?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. elapsed

Ok tried this with no joy. I also tried rivo uninstaller which couldn't find anything.

I have EAV 4RC installed so made a log with that. Looking though it it's only EAV that's mentioned, I only noticed 1 thing named smart security which was the context menu addition, I think this is an eset typo.

I also noticed a lot of the EAV modules in the EAV folder have "Product Name" smart security, more typos?

Apart from that, I can't seem to find the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.