Can't mount Image with XP Home in TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babakan, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babakan

babakan Registered Member

I have 3 computers, two with XP Pro and One with XP Home. I cannot mount images on the XP Home computer. I found this in TI 11 and it is also in TI 2009 Home which I upgraded to. I have images from TI 8, TI 11 and TI 2009. The XP Home Computer cannot mount any of them. The XP Pro computers can mount all of them. All run the latest builds.

On the XP Home computer I can explore and restore the images, just can't mount them.

When I try to mount on XP Home I get the Windows popup Wizard "Found New Hardware". It is looking for a driver for Acronis Virtual HDD. After about a minute I get an error message "cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the backup archive". I can see from command line tools that the image is mounted at the right drive letter, then about a minute later Windows unmounts it.

I have had a large number of chats and emails back and forth with Acronis Support. I have done all their suggestions, checked driver registration, done complete uninstall.

If someone from Acronis looks at this the case # is 1842059. I have asked Acronis that rather than me try all these complex tasks and data dumps, if they can confirm on one of their computers that mount works with XP Home. Perhaps some response on this forum can do that.

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

babakan,

A "shot in the dark" possibility might be this if you are willing to try it. There is no risk.

Microsoft has a nifty PowerToy utility called TweakUI which can be downloaded for free.

One of its many options is a listing called "MyComputer" with a sub-manu named "Drives".
    When you reach this sub-menu, be sure that all drives (A-Z) is checkmarked. The drives which do not exist will be marked with a red question mark but leave these checkmarked as enabled. All drives (a-z) are to be checkmarked.

One possibility is that these drive letters are unchecked now and Windows is not able to utilize these drive letters.
    As I said, this is just a shot in the dark but it's worth a try.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello babakan,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Make sure that Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer is Enabled in Device Manager (Right-click on MY Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Unfold Acronis Devices -> Right-click on Acronis Devices -> Select Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer -> Choose Enabled).

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

4. alfonso51

alfonso51 Registered Member

I recently purchased TI Home 2009 for my XP Home SP2 system. I have the same problem: I cannot mount my backup image. I get the Windows "Found New Hardware Wizard" and TI fails to mount the image. I have checked the Device Manager, and "Acronins Devices" is enabled. I used Tweak UI and verified that all the Windows drive letters are enabled. It appears this problem has been known for years, yet is unsolved. This is very disappointing and unacceptable.

5. Acronis Support

Hello alfonso51,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

If there is a hidden partition is present in the backup file (generally the service partition on a laptop), do not to mount this partition (select the Do not mount option for it). Also check that the following registry items are present:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters (the values are VolSnap tdrpman147 snapman380)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters (the values are VolSnap tdrpman147 snapman380 timounter)

So, the snapman380 value must be present in both the registry keys and the timounter value must be present in the second one only. The tdrpman147 value must be in the second key and only if Acronis True Image is installed. Other values may vary in different systems.

Please note that VolSnap is not an Acronis True Image value. If it is present in the key, do not remove it when adding other values. If it is not present, do not add it. Note that VolSnap is not present in Windows 2003, Windows Vista and higher.

If the drivers are missing in the UpperFilters registry keys, which may be caused by a registry protecting application, then the problem can be fixed by editing the Windows registry manually, namely, by adding the necessary values in Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> regedit).

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

6. alfonso51

Oleg,
    These are the UpperFilter registry entries on my system:
    ...10318} PartMgr tdrpman174 snapman380
    ...2092F} VolSnap tdrpman174 snapman380 timounter

Note that you specified tdrpman147, did you transpose digits?

For now, I am assuming I have the correct registry values, which means my problem still exists. I only selected the 'large' partition for mounting.

I have also submitted a report to Acronis Customer Service, and on 1/26 I received a note with a case number (00087506), but nothing with any technical information. Is your posting the official Customer Service response?

I NEED to recover these files!

...Jan

7. TonysPC

TonysPC Registered Member

I have the same problem with mounting and my registery entries are the same as yours.

By the way, if you can explore the image then you should be able to recover individual files by copy and paste

edit ... my PC is running XP pro.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  8. GroverH

alfonso51 & TonysPC,
    My registry matches yours and I can mount. Try opening TI and see if you can use the program option to mount the device. If you have multiple partitions within the backup, only mount the partitions you really need.

Agreed, if you can explore the image, you can get to your files for copy/pasting.

9. alfonso51

GroverH and TonysPC, thanks for the suggestions.

I am running XP Home, SP2. I cannot 'explore' my backup file. When I go to the TI Backup and Restore window, highlight my backup, and select 'Explore backup' from the toolbar, I get a popup that states "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

When I try to mount the backup, the 'Mount Wizard' shows 2 partitions: a FAT16 (Unlabeled) with Flags=Pri, Capacity=47.03MB, Free Space 39.69MB, Type=FS:FAT16 Partition: 0xDE (EISA configuration); and a 2nd partition: NTFS (Unlabeled) (C: ) Flags=Pri,Act., Capacity=147GB, Free Space=85.54GB, Type=NTFS. I have tried mounting both partitions, and I have tried mounting only the 2nd partition, with no success.

Any other ideas?

10. GroverH

You might try this to see if it helps the mount issue.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1410862&postcount=9
    If you try this and do not see the same thing, get back to me and I will give you some more parameters to input to show the devices.

Acronins support has advised that whenever you mount an image, do NOT mount a recovery or hidden image. Choose only the single partition you need to use. Also, for those having mounting problems, mounting from within the TrueImage program seems to have better results for me.

11. TonysPC

I am able to explore the images.

I have monitored he device manager whilst trying to mount an image (from within TI).
    The following events occur:-

1. An Acronis Virtual HDD appears
    2. TI message "allocating a drive letter" (or words to that effect) appears
    3. The machine becomes unresponsive and has to be powered off to recover.

Its not too much of a problem for me as I can explore images but it would be interesting to know why it is happening.

Incidentally, I briefly installed TI Ver 9 on this machine when I first got it and I could successfully mount images with that version. I changed to TI 2009 because this machine has SATA drives and the TI 9 recovery disk would not boot.

12. GroverH

TonysPC,

1. Did you uninstall the old version before installing the new version?

2. Did you try my solution in post #10.

3. In Device Manager, check to see if the Aconis Explorer is enabled.

13. alfonso51

Thanks GroverH. I read the posting you referenced. I opened Device Manager and enabled the viewing of hidden devices. I saw no 'greyed out' items in any of the areas you mentioned. I am trying to attach a screenshot gif file (But I see no evidence here that the process succeeded).

14. TonysPC

Yes, I did all of those things.

Like alfonso51, I saw none of those greyed out items in my device manager.

15. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

The value should be tdrpman174, sorry for mislead.

alfonso51 and TonysPC, I have sent files via PM, please install them and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

16. alfonso51

Oleg,
    Thanks for the note and the installation package. I ran it, but it did not fix the problem. The symptoms remain the same. When I try to mount the image, after several 10s of seconds, I get the "Found New Hardware Wizard", and the mount fails. If I try to 'Explore backup,' I get a popup that states "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."

Does the fact that there is no associated program imply some problem in the registry?

I still NEED to recover those files!

17. GroverH

alfonso51 & TonysPC

As a followup with additional information.

This may or may not fix your problem of not being able to mount archives:

The pdf on next line shows how to make the hidden devices appear. Download and perform the examples shown in the pdf. As part of the deletion, be sure and delete the greyed out Acronis Virtual Drive.

Show/clear ghosted/hidden devices in Device Manager pdf.

The above will supplement what I suggested in this prior link below which still may need to be performed..
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showp...62&postcount=9

When inside the Device Manager, look under Acronis Devices and make sure that the Acronis Archive Explorer is enabled.

Acronis support has advised that whenever you mount an image, do NOT mount a recovery or hidden image. Choose only the single partition you need to use. Also, for those having mounting problems, mounting from within the TrueImage program seems to have better results for me.

If your backup archive includes multiple partitions, Acronis should display a screen whereby you choose which partitions are to be mounted and also choose which drive letters you want Acronis to assign to the mounted drives.

If you still have no success viewing an image, I would restart the Acronis install program and choose the repair option.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  18. alfonso51

GroverH,
    Thanks for the posting. Your link to the pdf file brings up a '404' error. Is it really there?

19. TonysPC

Thank you for providing this file.

Unfortunately it did not fix the problem :'(

GroverH - I also tried a "repair" using the installation program but this made no difference.

Like Alfonso51, I could not access the pdf file in your link.

Thank you for your efforts

20. jcmaison

jcmaison Registered Member

I experience the same problem : I can't mount an image. The assigning letter process failed. Several events are generated in system log:
    source ftdisk - Event 57 with details:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 be 00 ......¾.
    0008: 02 00 00 00 39 00 04 80 ....9..€
    0010: 00 00 00 00 0e 00 00 c0 .......À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

However if the mount process fails, I'm able to explore the image without any problem.

PS: Reg keys are as mentionned by TonysPC and Alfonso51. I've no hidden disk drive either.

Hope this helps

21. GroverH

Try the pdf link again in post #17.

22. jcmaison

jcmaison Registered Member

ok. The PDF links works. Thank you for the detailed instructions. I managed to see hidden devices and uninstalled all of them in hard drive and volume storage groups.

Next step was to try to mount the image. No luck. It fails at the same point. :thumbd: Same error in system event log. I have to precise that I'm running winXP Pro SP3.

23. alfonso51

Thanks for your efforts, GroverH, but my troubles persist. I got rid of the 'greyed-out' entries in the Device Manager (except the one for my USB hard drive and a couple of flash drives I use frequently). The symptoms remain the same.

24. GroverH

bump. What's the fix so these two can mount their images?

25. sg8

sg8 Registered Member

Hello everybody!

Let me join the club...
    I've recently dowloaded True Image Home 2009 demo (Russian, build 9646 as far as I can tell), made a backup of my system partition, but I can't mount created image.
    When I try to mount it, I don't even see "Found new hardware" popup; TI just shows a message "Assigning letters for partitions..." (well, something like that but in Russian), then the whole system becomes very slow and nothing happens. At this time I see no disk activity and nearly no CPU load. Tried to wait ~10 minutes - no progress. Really bad thing is that I can't stop TI at this point; attempt to kill the process from task manager also doesn't work. I can't even shutdown the system - have to turn it off by the switch.
    Checked drive letters with TweakUI - everything is checkmarked; tried to remove "grayed-out virtual HDDs and volumes" and to disable anitvirus - didn't help either.
    I'm running WinXP Pro (rus) SP3 on my laptop; have also ESET NOD32 and VMware Workstation installed on it. One internal HDD + one external (USB); backup file resides on the external one.
    I would be glad to provide any additional information that might help you fighting this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.