Getting Disconnected Lately

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

Lately, I been getting disconnected lately, but do you think this is happening because on my other computer, I have a big virus? Would virus affect that or do you think thats just the internet connection server? Or do you think maybe thats the FireFox thats causing this? And since I got FF on other computer lately, it keeps saying "the page cannot be displayed" or something like that and it wont let me to go any sites..that happens at times but when I opened a new browser, it starts to work. Does this ever happen to anybody and why is this happening?

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

How recently and connecting from and to where? Did you see the news item about the cable break/troubles out in the Mediterranean somewhere? Or are you talking back beyond days into the past?

3. sooflymami

This was happening earlier today and been having for few days. It does that sometimes.

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Here's a BBC version of the story. Some interesting comments by readers indicate this could have been going on back last weekend. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7792688.stm

Here's the Wilders thread posted by ronjor that I saw: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228358&highlight=cable

Actually, sometimes I can open IE7 and I get a blank screen and it goes nowhere, yet, if I open a second instance of IE7, even while the first is still trying to connect to the same website, the second instance connects right away.

Sorry, there're so many variables here, I'd be hard pressed to give you useful comments.

I always suspect the server first - like my wife always gets freezes when she connects to her college email from home - I've cleaned and scanned her laptop so many times, I'm sick and tired of it, it must be the school's server(s) in her case. But, that doesnt make it so for you....

Have you tried any online virus/spyware scanners to get a second opinion on being infection free? I ASSUME you have resident firewall and AV software that you've already scanned with - is that correct? Certainly, trying to rule out an infection, IMO, is the first order of business when you have flaky behavior from your computer that you don't know the cause of.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  5. sooflymami

Actually, the internet isn't actually disconnected, but the FF webpage keeps saying cannot be found when I type in any of the address links on the browser, but when I open a new browser, it works.. Why is this happening?

6. Niels

Niels Registered Member

For your disconnection issue you can try this:

Unplug the powercable of your router.
    Press the windows button together with r on your keyboard now type : cmd press enter. Afterwards type this ipconfig /flusdns press enter. After that type exit press enter.
    Now plug the powercable of your router in.

Can you also please answer into your other topic? Because without feedback it's very difficult to offer help.

Page cannot be displayed error message could also be caused by your antivirus webshield. Press also on F5 to see if you now can see the page. Clear also your browser cache see here for how to do that.

7. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I would check your antispyware programs or security suites etc. When I had a similar problem the only thing that fixed it was to delete my antispyware software(webroot spysweeper).

The antispyware software has to analyze every bit of data comming through the internet, that is why it slow downs everything, if it's a webpage with alot of ads etc it will timeout in most cases.

If you are using windows xp or vista uninstall your antispyware software and use the free "returnil" everytime you surf the internet, it will protect you without slowing down your internet.

8. sooflymami

I checked for antivirus but it seems ok. It hasnt freezed lately but it disconnects few times a day like for 1 or few seconds and then it says "the network is connected". Does that seem like the connection server so far thats doing this and its not me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.