A few questions about restoring an image to a partition.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GSS1, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSS1

GSS1 Registered Member

I make a backup of my C:/ drive every weekend. This drive is a partition (part of two) of the original C:/ drive when the PC shipped. The hard drive is not RAID. This single drive has another partition, called K, which just holds my songs. Obviously, that I don't want to touch (and the songs are intact after reinstalling Windows). So far, when I do a restore, none of my programs work - there are all sorts of errors like cannot find a .dll or some configuration file (nothing I've had before).

Anyway, how can I restore the image to this partition - the C drive?

A few things I'm confused about:

-The drive I'm restoring should be marked as active, right? C drive has the OS.

-Is this even the right way? Or is there a fundamental mistake in my execution and the order in which I am doing things?

The backup was validated when it was made.

Thanks

2. NumLock

NumLock Registered Member

Did you install a fresh copy of Windows first before restoring 'My Data' from the TIB file
    OR
    Did you restore the C: Partition back into the C: Partition as an active partition?

3. GSS

GSS Registered Member

I installed a fresh copy of Windows first.

Correct my ignorance if this is ignorant, but it wouldn't matter if my image includes the Windows directory under C:/, anyway?

Also, if I select mbr as well as C:/ when doing a restore, when the software says I must reboot, and I choose to do so, I get an error saying file cannot be read (I assume the image, which is on my external hd)? There is a dialog and behind it the beginning of some sort of installation wizard. I can't interact with this dialog as there is no cursor and the keyboard won't have an effect.

Just to clarify, my PC came with C:/ drive, like all PCs. I partitioned this, giving me C:/ (the drive I'm trying to sort out now) and K:/. In my opening post of this thread, I say C:/ drive, which may get confusing. I mean the C:/ partition of the original C:/ drive.

BTW my email provider seems to be down so I made a temporary new username as this is quite urgent. I hope this is not a gross violation of forum rules.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. GSS

GSS Registered Member

Any suggestions people?

5. lesterf1020

lesterf1020 Registered Member

You need to give more info on what kind of backup you did and which version of Acronis you used. Did you use a partition backup or a file backup. It sounds like you did a file backup of your C: drive.

6. GSS

GSS Registered Member

It was a complete "My Computer" backup. I selected the partition, rather than individual files (no point selecting individual files as it is of every file).

This image was made with the previous version of Acronis, before 2009. That shouldn't matter though, right?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GSS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

I would recommend you to perform the restore using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media.

If the problem persists there, could you please clarify the exact text of the error message?

Could you please clarify, what version was the image created with? Please notice that only one version back compatibility is guaranteed (i.e., Acronis True Image Home 2009 is guaranteed to open images from Acronis True Image 11 Home as well, but ones from earlier versions might fail).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

No need to do this as the restore from your Image will wipe it out.
    The Image of the C partition will have the Windows directory and you want this since it contains the correct registry settings for all your apps.
    Better to make the bootable True Image Rescue CD (from the installed software) and do the Restore from it. You need to know before any emergency arises, that the Rescue CD is able to see your external hd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.