Spywareguard2008 fraudulant program???

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by alamander70, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alamander70

alamander70 Registered Member

I'm e-mailing this instance to you because I am experiencing a problem with a product calling itself spywareguard2008. This product has a good reputation with your website but the program that I have on my friends computer is not acting like a reputable program. This Spywareguard2008 program acts like a rogue/suspect by disabling the exsisting anti-virus (symantec anti-virus) and pushes their own product. I go into the windows security center in control panel and it indicates that Spywareguard2008 is disabled under the virus protection header, I click Recommendations and it gives me an activation/ licensing screen popup. I try to get either information, updates, support or anything on the windows security center screen and same result as before activation/ licensing popup. My friends computer is experiencing slowdown, freezing up of programs and a constant popup of Spywareguard2008 webpage to activate the program by buying the prog. The prog. has a taskbar icon constantly reminding (every 30 seconds) of a problem of malware on this comp. I try to uninstall the prog. by ways of the uninstall icon in the directory -but to no avail. I then try to uninstall using control panel and the Add or remove programs icon and still shows up popping up every 30 secs. I install Spybot S&D and perform scans and it recognizes as a fraudulant prog. but as soon as I click the fix selected problems it has a problem removing it. I have tried this many times to remove this program and exhausted all my resources that I have but it still keeps popping up like a cockroach infestation, you kill one but it keep coming back. Any thoughts/solutions on my dilemma?

Allen Kovacs

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

"Spywareguard2008" is not a Javacool product and is not associated with Javacool Software.

Javacool has a product called SpywareGuard (Javacool website link), which hasn't been updated for a few years, but the fact that the name is similar does not make Javacool responsible for whatever Spywareguard2008 is or what it does.

Someone simply used the same name and added a year to it. That's very bad.

If you check a google search on "Spywareguard 2008" (google search link) you will see the opinions regarding it and many instructions on how to remove it.

3. ourstanley

ourstanley Updates Team

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then click Finish.

If an update is found it will download and install the latest version.

Once the program has loaded select "Perform Quick Scan" then click Scan.

The scan may take some time to finish so please be patient.

When the scan is complete click OK then Show Results to view the results.

Make sure that everything is checked and click Remove Selected.

When disinfection is completed a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer please do so immediately.

4. alamander70

Thank you for your responses to my post. I will try both of your solutions immediately.
    This is not to be missunderstood as a black mark on spywareguard but a recommendation to others to watch out for the program

Spywareguard2008 this prog F**KS with your computer.

And again thanks
    Allen Kovacs

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

As LowWaterMark mentioned, "SpywareGuard2008" is a fake, rogue anti-malware product. It is not, in any way, associated with our legitimate SpywareGuard program.

The latest SpywareBlaster database update blocks SpywareGuard2008. After you get it cleaned off your system, make sure to update SpywareBlaster (or download and then update it if you don't have it) to help prevent it from being installed again.

We'll also have a post up about this soon on our blog, to hopefully help warn more people.

EDIT: Post now up on the SpywareGuard2008 rogue.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  6. alamander70

The help from Lowatermark, and ourstanley worked thank you. That program was a bitch to eradicate, without insight I may not have been successful.

Allen Kovacs

:thumb: :thumb:

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

8. Mfritch7

Mfritch7 Registered Member

I'm also having a LOT of problems with this fake version of spyware Guard. ive seen all the fixes listed in google searches but there's no way to access the web pages - the POS wont let me open 99% of the sites that can help me. Ive tried add/remove, ive tried searching for files manually, ive even run Spyware Doctor which found a virus or two but its still here. this thing is worse than my last GF. what i really want is a way to get the malwarebytes program but again, i cant get access to it due to this stupid Spywareguard crap.

HELP =(

9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

10. Mfritch7

I did see SAS and malwarebytes, like I said, but the virus/rogue spyware WILL NOT ALLOW ACCESS TO ANTI-SPYWARE SITES. (99% of them anyway, and the 1% I do find do not have advanced, free spyware removal. I'd buy it online but it'd probably be easier to just hand my wallet to some dude off the street.)

Somewhat of a quandary here...until I can get access to another computer with my flashdrive, I am screwed.

11. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Have you tried an alternate download such as majorgeeks.

12. Mfritch7

just tried....lo and behold, it wouldnt let me load the page. go figure. i did get access to my registry again and this time I hunted that %%%% down like bloodhound. The keylogger/virus/ whatever it is keeps getting i/o errors :> its still tracking my activity and !#$% my computer but at least its a little broken now.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Have you tried safe mode with networking?

14. Mfritch7

stapp- i have tried, but ive no clue how to start up in safe mode and my comp generally starts too fast for me to read the prompt. tell me, and ill do it first thing.
    meriadoc- checking ur pm now, thanks

15. Mfritch7

Tried running SAS- "has encountered a problem and needs to close" total bs most likely. Back to the drawing board...anyone wanna tell me how to reformat both of my hard drives? =(

16. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

SAS has a Free tiny App. 'Boot Safe' which gets one into Safe mode,
    I have been using it for a couple of years, never misses, whenever in Safe
    remember to open Boot Safe and change the Black dot to Normal reboot.

http://www.superadblocker.com/products.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.