Jetico Personal Firewall (beta)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nameless, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I was surprised to find news of Jetico Personal Firewall when I visited their home page for other reasons. I didn't even know they were working on one.

The firewall has just gone beta, so don't get too excited. I haven't installed it.

2. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

It claims to catch Thermite, CopyCat, AWFT, PcAudit, TooLeaky, etc.

Very interesting!

Perhaps the application rule based filtering firewall that I've been waiting for?

Anybody tried it out?

3. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I have tried it, and my advice is that you wait a final usable version.

1 - the firewall configuration is very complicated, after half an hour i wasn't even able to browse the Internet, althought IE or Mozilla was totally allowed, and i have had to give up.

2 - this so called "firewall" seems to have a built-in sandboxe (application monitoring like Kerio has) because it warned me that System Safety Monitor was "attacking" processes, althought there was nothing to do with network access.

3 - the uninstaller simply doesn't work. I have had to clean my registry manually plus with dedicated softwares.

So there is two way this firewall can "block" leaktests : first by totally locking the computer making you unable to browse, or second, if you manage to find a way to allow your software, by using his sandboxe to tell you that a process access another (without any clue of a network access purpose or not).

May be the final version will be a good firewall, but this BETA is a real beta and you shouldn't use it until you are prepared to clean your comp manually.
    This firewall made me remember Tiny, so if you want to use the same kind of "firewall", use Tiny instead or even BitGuard which are final realeases and very reliable and efficient (talking about sandboxe features).

4. nameless

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I'm glad I didn't try it!

I'm sure Jetico would like to hear about your opinions and problems. I use their other products, BCWipe and BestCrypt, and they are quite responsive. I'm sure they will work on it until they get it right (no telling how long that will take though!).

5. gkweb

Yea i have heard of other Jetico's product and from what i have heard they are really good.
    But networking is another different area, may be their new firewall will be as good as their existing products, but actually it still a beta.

Time will tell :)

6. nameless

That's what I was saying. This is not just a beta, it is the very first beta release. If you find the product interesting, maybe you could tell them your experiences with it. Never mind--I will just use their feedback form to point them to this thread. ;)

7. gkweb

ok ;)

if they will read this thread, i suggest them to :
    - rework the GUI, to show apps rules and network rules in one tab each
    - once traffic blocked because of a default policy/rule, popup the user
    - separate firewall from application monitoring (as in Kerio for instance)
    - preset of rules like in Outpost (email client, browser, etc...)
    - more options ! actually options are not very clear or in one place
    - !a learning mode! actually it works like "block most" in outpost, no ask
    - a default setup allowing to browse and retrieve emails (allow DNS too)

I think to do a good firewall can't be done in one month, the other existing firewalls had evolved among a lot of builds to be as good as they are now.

hope this help :)

8. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

It is about this time where I take time away from my current Firewall and begin exploring and familiarizing of updated and even newly created Software Firewall products. And I’m thinking Jetico Personal Firewall will be the first Firewall I explore, and if they really interested in building up this Software Firewall I will provide my assistance if this firewall shows a bit of potential. ;)

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey gkweb

I Installed that Firewall and I wanted to see if I could reproduce the uninstall anomaly, and I had the same problem also. I don’t know how they possibly overlooked this….

10. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up gkweb!

You saved me lots of work too. I think I'll wait till there's at least a new beta version with some fixes.

I'll be looking at Kerio Free + Abtrusion Protector or perhaps something else similar as another choice in the mean time.

regards,
    Halcyon

11. nameless

Jetico responded to my message, and asked for people to contact them directly. The Jetico representative was interested in hearing more details about the issues mentioned above (such as the uninstall issue).

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

It looks promising, but I certainly hope the price comes down when it's officially released. I can't afford that much for a firewall.

13. nameless

Where is a price even listed? Are you sure you didn't look at the price for BestCrypt?

14. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I guess it was for that instead, then. Right now the site is down.

15. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

*bump* (to keep this thread noticeable)

16. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Just a side not here. Snapfiles.com isn't calling the lastest release of Jetico firewall 1.0.0.77 a beta. It's still in beta status.

17. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.