Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Detox, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

wooo-hooo!

Imust say, this is impressive! Fast, nice options like the tabs (never had those before myself) and love the "ask for cookie setting"... with exceptions such as this forum, of course. I don't think I've used a beta program that was less than version 1 that was so complete )at least it feels that way to me) as this. I'm impressed and I think JayK will be happy to know I'm deleting my IE quicklaunch icon *puppy*

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Oh yeah; not to mention the fact that Firefox was so courteous as to go ahead and import my IE favorites to a special folder without me having to manually transfer them!

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have opera and firefox and opera was my default .But I have been useing firefox and I really like it. :D ;) *puppy*

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Must be the best browser ever *puppy*.
    Ít's running as smoothly on my Windows system as on my linux box. And all for free!

5. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi guys; hope everything's fine...

Well, following the above comments about FFox, I enthusiastically decided to go and give it a try myself.

Dwlded it, installed on a completely fresh system (DriveImage always so useful for backing up smooth systems), and then tried to import my previous FireBird Bookmarks through the Import Bookmarks option. The the fox simply crashed. :(

Not getting easily discouraged, I restarted and went to pc flank, and tried to 'add to Bookmarks'. Again, crash.

Not exactly what I expected to say the least. :(

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

Attached Files:

6. JayK

JayK Poster

Sounds to me you still haven't discovered the rough edges yet, I'll let you find them out yourself.

:rolleyes:

With stuff like https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=22189

and http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/354447/2004-02-19/2004-02-25/0

It's a very very good idea not to use IE.

PS A malicious url based on this is being spread through ICQ too .

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2004
  7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm well I may not find the rough edges you speak of... because I might be a more casual user than you? Or.. maybe I will yet since this is still my second day ;) I liked it enough to install it also on the Win98se machine and it's running great there; just takes al ittle bit to load when I start it.. but that may be because I installed the "KIDS" theme so it would look cuter for my daughter. Anyway that puter is pretty outdated so I'm not concerned if something is a bit slow to load.

Really sorry to hear it didn't work out for you though Crockett; hopefully it's some kind of incompatability issue that migth be worked out by version 1.

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Hmm, I didn't know there was an import bookmarks options. I just manually replace the bookmark.html file if switching profiles. I could be wrong but I think the import bookmarks is for IE bookmarks.

9. bbfi

bbfi Registered Member

You got that right Detox. Firefox has some idiosyncrasies to get used to but it is like a diamond in the rough compared to IE which is like a piece of coal. ;)

Firefox is a breath of fresh air and Tab Extensions is a delight to have. Also, the following extensions are great - spell checking, adblock, conquery, and RSS Reader panel. :rolleyes:

I've tried just about every browser out there - IE and the various wrap arounds like MyIE2, Avant, Crazy, etc., and non IE browsers like Opera and Mozilla 1.6. But I have made Firefox my default browser. It is the best in my view. :D

Sure, I still have to use IE for updates and when I use Roboform (there is an adapter for Firefox but it slows down Firefox and causes the cursor to disappear for a time when the enter key is hit while entering text). :'(

That's what I do also. I also had problems using the import option. :eek:

BTW - I also opted out of Outlook Express and replaced it with Mozilla Thunderbird .5 which also has some rough edges but it is my default email client now. No more Microsoft here either. :rolleyes:

10. JayK

JayK Poster

Impressive you were using Outlook Express and MSIE on Linux before? :)

11. bbfi

bbfi Registered Member

Nope, on Windows XP. :) Still using their operating system. :rolleyes:

12. meneer

meneer Registered Member

OT @bbfi: you can also dump spampal, as TB has some decent anti spam rules ;)

13. bbfi

bbfi Registered Member

Tried that for a while. Doesn't work well enough for me, even with weeks of training. Thunderbird's bayesian filter was letting through more than 50% spam. :'( SpamPal only lets through about 1% now. After only a few days, it was only allowing about 8% spam to get through. ;)

I have also tried just about every freeware spam checker and SpamPal does the best job for my computer. We run a nationwide Christian prison ministry and therefore the spam filters have to be tailored fit for us, whereas for most people other spam checkers like Thunderbird's, K9, Spamilator, etc. will work just fine. ;)

I need the capabilities that SpamPal has which includes bad words, good words, bayesian, HTML Modify, URL Body, white lists, black lists, and DNSBL's. Until Thunderbird has all of those, I will continue to use SpamPal along with PopTray for notifications. :rolleyes:

This combination is working extremely well for me and has marked just about every instance of the new email viruses as spam also. I was receiving up to 300 MyDoom viruses per day. But with SpamPal's bad words and HTML Modify and PopTray's rules, every virus is marked and easily removed with one click and never being downloaded to my computer. :D

And, if any got through these lines of defense, Avast killed it in its tracks. :D

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

ahh BTW - playing around today I installed the "skypilot" theme and firefox looks like a totally new (very nice looking) browser and I really like the way it looks with it. Highly-recommended-by-Tox :D

15. projectX

projectX Registered Member

I have to agree with everyone here. FB was nice, and FF is better, even if it is a beta release. I can't wait for the final milestone. BTW, there is a speed tweak you can apply to FF. Most of you are probably aware of it, but for those who aren't, here it is;

For Mozilla,

Find your user profile for Mozilla and paste this into a new file named user.js (or insert it in if it's already there)

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\[randomstring].slt\user.js [2000/XP]
    C:\Windows\Profiles\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\[randomstring].slt\user.js [98/ME]

network.http.max-connections", 12:cool:;
    network.http.max-connections-per-server", 4:cool:;
    network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy", 24);
    network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 12);

Close and restart Mozilla. You'll have to type about:config in the address bar to make sure the settings changed.

More or less the same tweak for Internet Explorer:
    http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/536/

More or less the same tweak for Opera:
    Options > Network

Max connections to server >> 48
    Max total connections >> 128
    Size of network buffer >> 32KB (not sure about this one. Maybe increasing will raise speed)

You can play with these numbers. Dialup users will probably need lower numbers. Extremely high speed broadband users can probably get away with higher numbers. I'm sure there's a point somewhere that it becomes counter productive.

Obviously, there are tweaks available for IE (if anyone still uses it! :eek:) and Opera, also.
    Also, for FB/FF users, you can also just type in about:config in your address bar and hit enter, then scroll down until you find the values to change. Right-click each value, select modify, type in new value, then ok. I noticed moderate speed increase on most sites, even though I'm using cable broadband. A couple friends at work who use dial-up claimed dramatic speed increases. Hope this helps speed-up someones surfing.

16. bigc73542

I have used the skypilot theme on several mozilla versions but I will admit I like the looks of it on firefox the best, it makes for a very clean and smooth looking browser. ;) *puppy*

17. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

OK guys. Meet the latest user of Firefox, Me. :D Couple of questions.
    1. I'm going to have to keep IE on the box as I have 1 program I run alot that is dependent on the IE dll's. I shouldn't run any risk of IE exploits if IE is never allowed to connect to the internet right?

2. I haven't installed any plugins (still playing) to Firefox except for Roboform. Are there any special settings that should be employeed to make it really secure or is it like that "out of the box" so to speak?

No more IE for me, well at least not connected. :D

18. bbfi

bbfi Registered Member

Welcome aboard to a new way of browsing the internet. Have tried just about every browser out there. Which is my default browser now? Foxfire! :D

1) You will still have to use IE for some sites and also to use Windows Update.

2) If you want to deny referrer logging, put this in your Foxfire user.js -

// STOP REFERRER LOGGING
    // 0=don't send any, 1=send only on clicks, 2=send on image requests as well
    user_pref("network.http.sendRefererHeader", 0);

This means that whenever you click a link, part of the header it sends to the server is "what page referred you to this one." It is used for advertising to track which client sent you a customer, search engine referrals, etc. Some sites require the referrer to be sent so if it doesn't work for sites you use often, try a setting of 1 instead of 0 for total denial. :rolleyes:

There are many extensions to play around with too. You can make the browser of your dreams with Firefox. :D

19. bigc73542

I think you will like it a lot once you get it customized like you like it. I still use opera for about half of my browsing. But firefox is a very good browser. Welcome to secure browsing :D ;)

20. JayK

JayK Poster

Wrong.

21. beetlejuice

I think I'm having a brain freeze or something. Where is user.js -? I've looked through everything and can't find it anywhere. :'(

22. JayK

JayK Poster

You have to create the file. It's kind of geeky.

Easier is to type about:config in the address bar of firefox then search for

network.http.sendRefererHeader

Right click on it and modify value to zero.

23. JayK

JayK Poster

24. beetlejuice

Thanks loads JayK. You're right. That is so easy, even I can do it. It looks like you can do a He!l of a lot with that. I think that Wilders should sit up a forum just for Firefox (yes I know they have one) and you can be Mod. Have a cookie.

25. bbfi

bbfi Registered Member

Okay. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration. :rolleyes:
    But you can have a better browser than anything out there in my opinion. :D
    And with 153 extensions, 1005 Mycroft search plugins, and skins, you can make a browser that does almost anything. :eek:
    Is that more like the way it is with Firefox, JayK? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.