Finjan Securebrowsing

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mark.eleven, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark.eleven

mark.eleven Registered Member

I see it launched more than a year ago, but it doesn't seem to have many writing and reviews, except a few.

Anyone using Finjan securebrowsing here? Is it effective in identifying malicious websites? How is it compared to WOT, McAfee's SiteAdvisor, HauteSecure, LinkScanner? What is your comment on Finjan securebrowsing as an additional layer of defense.

Finjan securebrowsing claims that it scan the web in real time, so will this cause some sites to perceive the sudden surge of Web traffic toward their sites as a denial-of-service attack?

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i used to use it, but it stopped working with me when i installed Quero Toolbar.

i preferred it over the rest of the similar tools.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Finjan has trouble with IE7 in Vista although it works well with FF in Vista. I remember reading on their site at one time that they scan with Kaspersky.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

That's correct,also it uses behavioural analysis I believe.Personally I like this product as I prefer some form of real-time analysis of links,rather than a static determination which is useless if a 'good' site becomes compromised.

This company has been around for quite some time,I remember using their discontinued AV some years ago.If memory serves me Surfinguard I think.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

that only thing i dont like about finjan is it only shows it beside links or search results, doesnt show you the raring of the actual page your on. and for the browser defender plu-in, i wish ther was a way to not have it be this huge toolbar and have it sit in the bottom or top corner like siteadvisor or WOT does.

7. progress

progress Guest

I agree, but i never saw a page which was flagged by finjan :doubt: WOT sometimes gives me the red ring ..

8. Kayracc

Kayracc Registered Member

finjan is for malicous code, WOT is for anyone selecting a low rating

i'm not a fan of user input programs such as that, because it allows people with no idea to rate

should read some of the siteadvisor reviews, just terrible

9. RedDawn

RedDawn Registered Member

I'm not sure how good these type of browser plug-ins/add-ons actually are.

I was looking at some "cough" "cough" lovely lady sites one night and on a Google results page, I clicked on a site that Finjan had marked safe and immediately got hit with PowerAntivirus 2009.

I also ran the link through the online versions of Linkscanner and Dr Web URL scanner and neither of them marked the link as malicious either.

I still use Finjan but I'm not sure how much faith I put in it.

10. firzen771

ive noticed finjan does marka a lot of bad sites as green, thats why i have been using Browser defender, and it seems to be doing a pretty accurate job. i just wish it didnt take up so much space in the browser.

11. Kayracc

most of those sites don't actually use any exploits, they simply use .gif files to 'scare' the user into manually downloading the files and running them

therefor, no malicious code, and subsequently no hits on the programs listed, as they look for malicious code

12. Kayracc

examples? i'll tell you if they contain malicious code or not, chances are they don't

people are confusion 'annoying/scamming' websites, with 'malicious' websites

Haha well ironically enough i can't get finjan to hit on any websites that are malicious, i dunno, don't have the time tonight to play around

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  13. progress

progress Guest

Can you give me a link which is red marked by Finjan? I was searching for half an hour, but I can't find one :thumbd:

14. mark.eleven

mark.eleven Registered Member

15. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I'm beginning to have doubt about it's effectiveness. LinkScanner detects a lot of more websites than Finjan, which is supposed to do the same job (perhaps a better one thanks to the Kaspersky engine).

16. progress

progress Guest

You are absolut right, I dump Finjan now :gack:

17. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

So wich ones are better then and please name em all

18. acr1965

Are the Linkscanner databases still being updated since AVG bought them out? I am sure they are being maintained for the AVG users, but what about the stand alone free linkscanner lite?

19. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Google "cnsmin 电脑" seems to hit a red every 1 or 2 pages.

20. progress

progress Guest

Yes :)

21. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Finjan marks it as red yes, but Linkscanner Lite marks them as green o_O

22. firzen771

ive used almost every site flagging add-on i can think of for firefox.

ive tried:
    - mcafee site advisor
    - finjan
    - WOT
    - linkscanner
    - browser defender
    - might be some other that i cant remember the name of...

out of all these products, the one i found to be the most effective is browser defender (just hate how much room it takes up in the browser window).
    - site advisor marked too many things improperly
    - finjan displayed known malicious sites as green(i dont trust its proactive scanning they say it uses) plus it caused the most browsing slow downs out of them all
    - WOT mostly gives its ratings on website content, not actual malicious sites though from what ive noticed, and anybody can input a rating, dont like the whole community ratings
    - linkscanner was alright
    - browser defender has been the most accurate for the most part out of all these choices for me at least, its provides good ratings on both phishing and malicious sites and i rarely see a site that doesnt have a rating unlike some of these other ones.

in my opinion finjan has the best idea going, they just need to improve its speed and accuracy issues.

23. acr1965

Not sure if there was some sort of update or if I did not install finjan correctly the last time. But I have tried it again in Vista HP with IE7 in Protected Mode and have not had any of the memory issues noted previously. I was sure to install as "run as admin" this time. Currently I am running Finjan along with WOT and happy with the combo so far.

finjan

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  24. progress

progress Guest

Did you ever get a red marked link acr? :rolleyes:

25. acr1965

yes I have..check your pm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.