Thunderbird email attachments get broken

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by VidKo, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VidKo

VidKo Registered Member

Hi!

There is a problem in Thunderbird. If NOD32 is active all incoming emails with attachments get broken:

http://shrani.si/f/1x/L/4feWkodE/nod32attachment.png

If attachments are archives (rar, zip...) I get the message: archive is broken.

I first noticed it when I got a few forwarded emails from friends.

Also, the "The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus." appears more than once in an email.

I am using Windows XP SP3, Thunderbird 2.0.0.18.

[EDIT]
    Existing messages with attachments and NOD32 disabled are correct, NOD32 enabled, messages are broken.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    thank you for reporting back. Please save the message to an eml file and send it to betasupport[at]eset.sk with this thread's url enclosed. We'll try to reproduce it and fix it if it turns out to be a bug in the beta version.

3. VidKo

VidKo Registered Member

Email to beta support at eset has been sent.

After a little bit of testing I can conclude:

- all attachments are affected
    - if an attachment is an archive or video file it's broken (cannot be played or opened)
    - contents of the messages are multiplied
    - as soon as the ESET email client protection is disabled and Thunderbird restartet, the problem is gone and all emails appear normal

4. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Same problem here, Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 (latest update) al attachemets get multiplied and broken, funny thing is, it does not happen in office outlook.
    I checked the same messages in both programs, Thunderbird's versions where unusable but outlook were not so my gues the problem is with the thunderbird pluguin...

(vista ultimate 32 bit...)

5. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I use Thunderbird 20018 and don't have these problems. All attachments are fine. The only issue I have, which I have reported, is that I cannot view the message source as the page is blank.Otherwise everything else is fine.

6. jemen

jemen Registered Member

I tried to reproduce your problem but without success.

Please,
    Can you specify what kind of account you are using (POP3/IMAP)?
    Can you specify what kind of server you are using (MS Exchange/PostFix, Exim,...)?

Have you installed other Thunderbird extensions?
    Can you save same sample email with File>Save As>File when this happend to you and published it?

PJ

7. VidKo

VidKo Registered Member

POP3

I don't know what server my ISP is using.

AdBlockPlus, Contacts Sidebar, Folderpane tools, Minimize to Tray, Talkback, german and slovenian spellchecker

http://www.4shared.com/file/73109252/4c7e4cd9/broken_attachment.html

8. VidKo

VidKo Registered Member

I uninstalled Nod32 beta. Removed all entries in the registry. Rebooted. Reinstalled Nod32 beta. The problem persists. I sent one email with an attachment. The whole email size is. 6424kb. Upon receiving the email:

1st account: message size 6400kb. Attachment not working.
    2nd account: message size 6425 kb. Attachment not working.
    3rd account: message size 59472 kb (59mb). Attachment not shown.

Even the message in the sent folder doesn't show the attachment.

9. huelfi

huelfi Registered Member

Hi,

same problem here on XP x86 and on Vista x64. Attachments look like in the screenshots from VidKo. I use Thunderbird Version 2.0.0.19pre (20081201).

huelfi

10. jemen

jemen Registered Member

hi huelfi
    please turn off message scanning "Read email"
    then open a message and
    save the message to an eml file (File>Save As>File) and send it to betasupport[at]eset.sk. We'll try to reproduce it and fix it.

In an email specify what kind of account you are using (POP3/IMAP)?
    what kind of server you are using (MS Exchange/PostFix, Exim,...)?
    Have you installed other Thunderbird extensions?

Thanks

PJ

11. huelfi

huelfi Registered Member

Hi jemen,

E-Mail is send.

huelfi

12. DooGie

DooGie Registered Member

Happens to me also but isn't consistent.
    I can preview an email with an attachment and the attachment looks split into pieces like some of the screenshots in this thread. If I then shut Thunderbird down then re-open it the attachment is ok and will open up as normal.

13. jemen

jemen Registered Member

This is know issue it will be fixed in final release.

Thanks for reports.

PJ

14. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

You did not say: next release.

I am wondering:

Are you an ESET-official?

Does this mean, that there will be no further beta-release?

15. Cosmo 203

As there is no reaction at all, I can a only conclude, that you are no official.

The following conclusion is, that you wrote nonsense, as only officials are supposed to know such things. You appear to be someone, who writes more than he knows - or knows less, than he writes.

16. patch

patch Registered Member

We all make our own assumptions.

Read all of his posts.

IMO he is on the ESET development team, posting to acquire information required for development. This is a different role to support. Being able to speak directly to the developers is rare and valuable. Don't expect him to waste his time on PR, that is others responsibility.
    Thanks for the update
    And letting me know I need not bother reporting my observation of Firefox attachment problems with current ESS beta under windows 2000

17. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET's developers, internationalization engineers, quality assurance engineers, researchers, support engineers, technical trainers and technical writers are amongst some of the many employees that read messages on the forum.

Occasionally, one of them will write on the forum to ask someone for further details about a bug report or clarify something that is confusing, however, that does not mean they are going to read unsolicited private messages, answer questions about things outside their areas (or even in them, for that matter) or be able participate beyond a certain amount of time in the forum.

If you see messages from someone who is not identified as an ESET Moderator or ESET Staff in the forum asking very technical questions or providing detailed information about how to resolve an issue, they are someone who is taking time out of their day to help you resolve an issue. If they happen to mention that a bug in a beta version will be fixed in the production release of the software, well, that's simply a logical thing to assume. It does not mean they are an employee, it does not mean they are not an employee.

What does matter is that if someone is polite to you and asks a detailed question or provides some information, all you need to do is be polite to them when responding.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

18. Cosmo 203

The normal thing for me, if I do not know a fact, is to ask.

Exactly that is what I did on Dec 16. It was a normal question with normal tone. (Everybody is free top reread.)

In the past I experienced too often the situation, that people make others believe, that they have a special position (although it is mostly not true). Just 3 days ago in another forum somebody claimed to be an "official", but he wrote things about MS products, that are in contradiction to the official text by MS and so his "official" state was broken.

Again: I put a simple question with a normal tone. Without the smallest response (by anybody, maybe jemen, maybe someone from Eset) I have no hint, that he has an official status, jemen himself did not claim that in the mentioned post. In such a case my only possible assumption is, that he is no official and in this case I consider this post as useless for me.

BTW: Regarding politeness: It would be polite, if anybody from ESET would take the time to comment on my LUA-thread, published 4 days ago. By changing the last sentence of agoretsky a little bit: "all you need to do is be polite by responding". (My variation set in italic, so nobody is forced to make word-by-word comparison.)

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

A perfectly reasonable and understandable approach.

I have left a reply in your other message thread.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.