Perfect Uninstaller Rogue Software

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by kr4ey, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I installed prefect uninstaller the other day and a few minutes later was hit by a virus. I scanned the installer file and low and behold I found a virus. Just a heads up if anyone tries to install this software.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Where did you download it from??

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Strange but possible. Just tried to d\l it from their home page. Avast webshield jumped up and flagged it as "Win32:Trojan-gen {Other}". Possible FP? Would suggest you submit it for analysis.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Interesting.Just downloaded from it's home site and virus total gave a 7/36.

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Quick peek around their site, and several things caught my eye: no contact information provided, Whois check confirms this (privacy protection service) - what are they hiding? - and affiliate program promising 75% commission o_O

I tend to severely distrust anyone offering commercial software who choose to hide who they are. There's absolutely no reason at all for a legitimate company to hide their identity!

Not to mention the rather high sales commission which tends to attract more unsavory methods ...

6. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Downloaded it there website (perfectuninstaller.com). AntiVir picked up the same virus you get ThunderZ.
    I agree lordpake very suspicious website.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

9. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

10. penpots

penpots Registered Member

Download.com had a brief software publisher profile for Perfect Uninstaller:

"Qiwang Computer LTD come into existence at 2006 focus on Windows system App develop. We produce the best windows utilities software and service on the net. User love us software, and we do our best to help them happy"

Ah so, grasshopper. If you Google search for Qiwang Computer LTD, you will see they have many websites with a few products, but their physical address, email address and telephone number are missing. Only way to contact them is through a webpage form which I suppose does (If anything) a HTML mailto. Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware.

I ran Norton, Webroot (Sophos) and SystemSuite (Sunbelt Vipre) scans on the latest installation file. No viruses reported.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's getting sickening how these products and others are more and more being embedded with foulware.

I have run into this myself more in the past 2 months then ever before. I don't think these distribution server download sites are either not using the best AV's or else these guys are getting more clever then ever in bypassing detection.

12. penpots

If you google on perfect uninstaller, you will see that their product, under various names and websites, are the only results returned. Plus the advertising on the right side of the page is only their product. Google is making lots of yen off of Qiwang LTD. Qiwang is making lots of money from unsuspecting customers. (I should have known better). The product locked up while running. And they charged me for 3 years of license instead of one which I requested.

Once I realized that I'd been had, I restored my disk with an Acronis disk image from 2 days ago. and changed all my passwords (including Pay Pal).

I was in a hurry to uninstall F-Secure Anti-Virus trial version (which wouldn't uninstall from Vista control panel). F-Secure uninstall program did get rid of the entry in ctrl panel, but the product kept running. I disabled their entries using services.msc, but I wanted F-Secure entries out of my registry and their product off of my machine. Following advice from a forum, I reinstalled F-Secure and then uninstalled it successfully through control panel. I wish I had checked here before purchasing Perfect Installer.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  13. penpots

Re: Perfect Uninstaller Rogue Software BEWARE

Now I realize after installing Perfect Uninstaller and subsequently uninstalling f-secure, I was unable to update any of my security software or go to Microsoft update. Sounds like the conflicker virus. Acronis image restore from a previous backup covered my rear on this one. BEWARE!!!

14. Faye wee

Faye wee Registered Member

I am running windows XP right now. Everything seems to
    be fine with the perfect uninstaller.Thank you!

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For me, the bad English would give it away. And the WHOIS info, of course.
    I'm always very, very careful about what I install.

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That's strange because when I tested just now, neither the installer nor the program executable yielded any results. However, I don't go by VT results alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.