TI2009 Stupidity: intermediate differential backup versions cannot be deleted?!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scharf, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scharf

scharf Registered Member

Hello Acronis!

The difference between a difference between a differential backup and a incremental backup is that the differential backup only depends on the base version but NOT on the previous differential version.

I wanted to delete a old differential backup (version) but true image deleted the version and all later versions!

Hello Acronis! Don't you understand the difference between incremental and differential backups?
    As a reminder for the programmers at acronis: What is the difference between an incremental and differential image?

Exercise: read this and think about the strategy of deleting intermediate differential bakups...

This is yet another indication how immature TI2009 is :-(

Michael

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Acronis never has been real clear on the concept of differentials - all differentials had to be present to validate an archive even though the intermediate ones were really irrelevant.

The real annoying thing is that this nonsense carries over from one version to the next although I think in TI11 it worked OK if you used the Backup Locations option (which I don't).

3. scharf

scharf Registered Member

With TI11 I simply deleted differential version that I did not need anymore and it worked fine. With TI2009 that does not work anymore...

Michael

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Somewhere deep in the fundamental coding some earlier ATI programmer overlooked that intermediate diffs are obsolete files and treated them the same way as incs -- now Acronis doens't want to delve that deep in the code to fix the oversight -- it's been retained version after version. Never enough pride in quality to bite the bullet and fix this fundamental oddity in ATI. But at least you work around this by manually deleting the obsolete diffs yourself using any file tool -- although you couldn't then run ATI validations -- well, six of one with this problem right? You just suck it up, grin and bear it, right?

With versions prior to ATI12/2009, you could delete backup files and ATI didn't care. But with ATI12/2009, it keeps a database of the backups it makes so you can only do file management of the backup files through ATI or ATI gets a bit wonky -- another giant step backward, imo.

I know the database is there to allow for the provision of some other features, but it seems like a draconian method -- pants too long? let's whack some length off with a machete --see, now not too short, and no pesky feet for you trip over any more ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.