Disabling SPS on Spy Sweeper 6?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jhr76, Oct 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

Hi. Is there a way to disable the self protection (SPS) on Spy Sweeper 6? I found a way to disable it on version 5.x which was done by accessing Spy Sweeper´s hidden settings but that way doesn´t work on version 6 :(
    Basically I want to be able to set the Spy Sweeper engine to manual since I use it as an on demand scanner only and the memory and processor usage bothers me, even more so now that version 6 apparently added a new process/service, Webroot Client Service (WRConsumerService.exe) but you can at least set that to manual. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Out of curiosity why would you use SS on demand when SAS and MBAM are superior solutions?

3. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

I am not familiar with those 2 programs and I like Spy Sweeper

Edit: If by SAS you mean Super AntiSpyware I tried it and hated it

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Well, I really don't know.

Obviously Webroot is not going to give you that information.

But if you just want to use the Spy Sweeper as an on-demand scanner (it's not good at that in my own experience), then presumably you can use a customized install and configure the Spy Sweeper (program) to NOT load automatically at startup. Disabling Spy Sweeper's services is not recommended. But I have only experience with the Spy Sweeper till version 5.5.7, it's possible that your version is different in that regard.

I can't give you advice about how to uninstall the program !

5. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

Hi . I already have it set not to start with Windows, but regardless of that setting the Spy Sweeper Engine service will start automatically every time, and it won´t let you change it from services.msc.
    I made a support request with Webroot regarding this issue, we´ll see whether they reply or not. They should, people should not be forced to have an unnecessary process running... I also asked them what the new service, WRConsumerService.exe, is for...

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

What kind of computer (hardware and software) do you have ? Does that particular service consume so many resources ?

I wouldn't count on Webroot's technical 'support', I still have an open ticket from more than a month ago ...

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I have a ticket open for more then a year :thumbd:

8. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

It doesn´t take THAT much, the Spy Sweeper Engine can range anywhere from 8 to 15 megs, not sure about CPU usage, and I don´t know about the new service included with version 6 (WRConsumerService.exe) since it´s pretty new, but it really bugs me to have 2 useless processes hogging my resources when I am trying to run high end games such as Crysis, Far Cry 2 or STALKER: Clear Sky and I´ve tweaked my services to have as little as possible running in the background....
    I have a Core 2 Duo E6400 at 2,13 Ghz, 2 Mb L2 cache, 2 Gbs of DDR2 at 600 Mhz running in dual channel and a GeForce 7950GT with 512 Mbs (PCIe). I know you will say the performance impact is minimal but it still pisses me off to waste resources on a program that should NOT be running unless I start it. And other than that I like Spy Sweeper and I have a license valid until July 2009....

9. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

They DID reply, ye of little faith...!!! :p
    Here´s what they said:
    Hi,

The new controls for the hidden settings are CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S.

Also the new processes WrConsumerService.exe are taking care of the updates from the Webroot server.

Thank you once again for choosing Webroot software.

I will test it once I get home from work :D

10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Would you perhaps know what SECURITY improvements have been made compared to version 5.5.7 and 5.8 ?
    I wouldn´t exactly trust Webroot for their online backup offer ...

11. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

No, I don´t. As a matter of fact I created the account so I can use the backup features (just out of curiosity, I don´t really care about it, I do my own backups), I was sent a mail to verify it, did so and it said it would be ready within the hour. It is a week later and now everytime I open Spy Sweeper it prompts me to log in to the backup account, I enter the correct info and it says the login failed, so that´s a real pain and I can´t find any way to disable that... :mad:

12. banana0beach

banana0beach Registered Member

Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot.

13. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Just curious to know that the hidden controls in the yellow radar has been replaced by CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + S, quite a complex combination :eek: I have been a beta tester of Spy Sweeper some time ago but have given up.

Glad to know that it works on your box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.