helpctr.exe and Worm Guard

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by ronny, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

ronny Registered Member

After installing Worm Guard , my "help and support "in Startmenu didn"t work and don"t work anymore .Although i don't like it ,i made a new deskicon to it. But now there are in "C://Documents and Setting/[my name]/helpctr.exe" and in "C:Doc..../[other user's name]/ helpctr. exe" those 2"helpctr.exe"'s of o-bit!! :'(
    When i try to delete them ,i get an error saying that the are in use.I tried everything(rebooting , rename,...)
    When i click on the "help and support " i get an error saying :"helpctr.exe is no valid WIN32-application"
    Even after uninstalling Worm Guard this stays.
    I' ve got this on my 2 different PC's( both Pentium IV, 3.0 and2.6 Ghz,512 MB memory, XP home, ATI 9800)
    I've never had any problems on my system before installing Worm Guard .I scanned my system with several AV-scanners and with Trojan Hunter + TDS-3. Nothing was found. o_O
    I do have installed Process Guard (bought version) recently.

Can someone help me out here, Wat has happened? How can i repair this?Thank you very much! :-*

P.S.:I did contact DiamondCs ,but all they could tell me was to create a new deskiconlink to help and support. :rolleyes:

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi ronny,
    True, i'm surry to hear from your disappointment. It is a known XP issue indeed, and in most cases the desktopicon is a workaround.
    Guess you will be able to hunt for size 0 bytes files, maybe in safe mode to delete them that way occasionally.
    What happens is that the file name with the 0 bytes comes somewhere in a path and if you try to start it the closest at hand is tried to be started, with the error result.
    In my system i copied notepad and wordpad exe in strategical places so they are started anyway and no more new 0 bytes files. Not sure if that could help with your windows help as well.

3. ronny

ronny Registered Member

:D thank you very much, Jooske. Zeer vriendelijk van je.Ik ben je een Belgisch biertje schuldig ;)
    So i understand this nothing to worry about?

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No don't worry!
    Op je gezondheid! And a karma cookie to forget the troubles!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.