Kaspersky reliable?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by truthseeker, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I installed the 30 day trial version of Kasperky AV.

Can Kasperky be trusted as reliable to detect virus?

Reason I ask is because I don't see Kasperky mentioned on this forum much.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes it can be trusted. Kaspersky's detection rates always seem to rank high. You can check its record at av-comparatives if you wish. I currently use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and its been performing very well. Imo its one of the most complete suites available.

3. truthseeker

Cool thanks, I will continue to use the 30 day trial kaspersky AV then. :thumb:

By the way, what is Rollback RX 8.1 and is it free? :) And is it anything like Acronis Trueimage, because I have bought Trueimage and use it

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Rest assured you can feel reasonably safe using kaspersky, well as safe as possible in regards to an antivirus anyway.
    Rollback is an instant system restore software. It allows me to safely try out new software or test different system configurations. If i like the changes i can keep them if not a simple reboot will undo all changes. Its sort of like trueimage except its able to restore my system a lot faster. Unfortunately its not free, its actually fairly expensive.

5. truthseeker

Shame it's not free, sounds great.. sounds like Time-machine for Apple.

6. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

Nope..... :D

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

BS
    of course Kaspersky can be trusted to detect viruses/malware.
    if not you can always send KL a sample.

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

if it doesn't detect it how could you send a sample :)

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

to newvirus at kaspersky dot com
    using winzip or winrar to compress it. password protect using the password "virus"

10. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Kaspersky have different technique to detect malware (behavior) not just by signature: by proactive defense (behavior detection), by HIPS (KIS will notify you if *.exe etc. should be trusted or restricted in its action) and by heuristic...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  11. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Sunny, if you ever have an intelligent comment to make that can be substantiated, please do post it, otherwise what is the point of these obvious "flame bait" posts :rolleyes:

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Returnil posts all moved to this new thread.

13. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

It will be fine in terms of level of protection. If Kaspersky doesn't have any conflicts with your computer, has minimal system impact, then I'd suggest you purchase it after the 30 trial.

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

+1
    Good advice :thumb:

15. truthseeker

Why do you say Kaspersky is not reliable? What reasons? :blink:

16. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

He has no reasons. See Baz's comment about "flame baiting".

Wiki: Flamebait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group, such as a forum, newsgroup or mailing list, with the intent of provoking an angry response (a "flame") or argument over a topic the troll often has no real interest in.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Reliable? In what context does the orginal poster ask?: Will it keep you safe, yes. Is is very good, yes. Does it break, no. I mean come on, it is as reliable as about 20 others. Try it, you have to decide.

18. Medank

Medank Registered Member

Reliable?
    Trust me Kaspersky will protect you better then many AV's out there,
    Maybe not all but many AV's!

19. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

I was a bit busy at college, for a coupe of days, so sorry for the delayed reply.

@lordpake (you must be knowing that the earth is round in shape, so when its a day for you, someone who is geographically located at a diametric opposite point observes night, accordingly the Time Axis for various longitudinal zone varies. So..........its not possible for me to post a real time quick reply....I also have other works to do.....so avoid JUMPING to conclusions.....solely because of a delayed reply).

1. Kaspersky has poor detection rate of spyware (especially the rouge av/as)....although it claims to be an Internet Security Suite.

2. KL never openly reveals the MFT data expansion, when several computers are scanned via LAN, through a single host, the MFT zone is flooded....which cannot be reversed.

3. Most of the time whenever I send malware sample to the labs, they say that its all clean.....after repeated post of the malware along with VT links...the malware may come under detection (recently it happened when i posted Worm.Paker to the labs, about 5-6 times, which could block PD from deleting it).

4. The most important of all the reasons....(most of u might be knowing it already)....there is no Heuristic Module in Real-Time file protection....and although it exist its turned off by default, if its turned on it causes wow wow special slowdown. (FYI, I'm aware of PD and other modules in KIS...but they art a replacement for Heuristic Real Time protection).

@Baz

Do not lead people to incorrect conclusions of my posts, just because of a delayed reply.

Thus, WRT original poster, Kaspersky is not completely reliable, try using secondary security software in conjunction with it....

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  20. risl

risl Registered Member

Since no antivirus can detect 100% of everything, no antivirus can be completely reliable.

21. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

If you'd spell Kaspersky correctly then you'd find copious amounts of information.

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

23. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Hmmm, scratching my head - the "rouge av/as" should be exactly what here?

Errr, what's exactly "MFT data expansion"?! Care to clarify what are you talking about?! o_O :blink:

24. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Kaspersky is one of the most reliable AVs, and has been for a long time.

IMO, the reason you don't see Kaspersky mentioned, is because it consistently performs and users don't have problems using it.

Many of its users would install it and not bother about installing much else. They probably don't have to ask any questions as their system is running well.

25. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote. So is for me too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.