8Signs FW

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ruinebabine, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

From that thread (that is too old to be replied to):
    Hi Stem,

I don't know if you had intents and/or time to check this matter further, but I'd be very interested to know your findings on 8Signs filtering/logging capabilities and acuracy.

Or if it would be possible for you to provide me with a kinda simple procedure to guide me, I'd be willing to try to investigate it myself and report here my results for your reviewing...

Any ways, thanks for your help.

EDIT: Please note that the 8Signs more uptodate version is labelled as v3.0.37 at http://www.8signs.com/firewall/download.cfm, but it's confusing because the About window simply says version 3.03 while the binary file states v3.0.8.0307 and v3.0.4.1...
    8SignsFW.png

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi ruinebabine,

I will try and find some time to look at this over the next couple of days,

- Stem

3. ruinebabine

Much thanks, Stem.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi ruinebabine,

I made a basic setup, but it is still inconclusive. The main problem is the fact that I see no logging of most of the invalid packets, but invalids such as null/xmas are logged.
    This may possibly just be down to the fact that these invalid packets are not logged (but find that strange) as the sniffer is not picking up those packets.

I will need to make better setup with 3 PC`s so there is no possibility of conflicts with 8signs and the sniffers, and it will give me results I can fully trust.

As I will need 3 spare PC`s it will be another day or 2 before I can do this.

Sorry to keep you waiting.

- Stem

5. ruinebabine

Hi Stem,

no problem at all here, feel perfectly at ease to take all the time you need before you go build this new experimental setup. I understand and am truely apreciative of the expertise time and dedication you freely give us. Since I discover this board, I'm amazed by all the educational knowhow you experts make available to us to benefit.

By the way, I tried some other firewalls those last months but I always go back to 8Signs! I spend many years with ConcealPF before and I just love how this kind of firewall allow me to learn just by tweaking their rulesets to no end. L 'n' S is also good (and I will probably buy a license to have a spair at hand if a need arised) but for now I just don't fell at home like with 8Signs. So, I'm really curious to read your results and see if my trust in this firewall filtering capability was/is well placed or not...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.