Majic Jack ???

Discussion in 'hardware' started by twodogs44, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

Has anyone tried this phone service? I have seen and read about it and it sounds too good to be true. Things that normally sound too good to be true most likely are just that. I would like your advice.

Thanks , Twodogs44

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it legal?

Thanks

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I believe it is as legal as Skype, or any other VoIP service, yet my gut feeling tells me that cable companies are testing bandwidth tier pricing (Time Warner Cable Broadband Tiers Lead to Fears) because if people are going to piggyback into their systems to make phone calls, they want a piece of the action.

One of the most difficult items to find on magicJack.com is their Terms of Service and Software License Agreement and I told my friend that there were 2 sections that bothered me personally:

@all,
    Opinions?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Looks bad.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

aigle, that's what I thought too!

8. twodogs44

I can't swear to this, but a few weeks after I started using the Magic Jack I had problems with my PC. The Magic Jack would just reload it self any time it wanted it made no difference if you were busy doing something or not it jumped right in and did it's thing. There were times it may do it 2 or 3 times in a row, So I yanked it out of my machine. A few days later my PC started acting up and then I lost about half of my info. Went to the shop and the CD Burner and cables were pretty well fried, the mother board and CPU also had to be replaced. Like I said I could not swear what caused it. I got on this site and sent a letter of complaint to the Owner and the Better Business people which is also listed here and in a few days I got my money back.
    I also went and purchased a cell phone and a Wilson Antenna and have the service I wanted!

Thanks for all your advice and comments. Remember if it sounds to good to be true...there is a darn good chance it is!

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

twodogs44, thanks for posting back your results. My friend had similar issues with his majicJack and ended up disconnecting it. The main problem for him was majicJack's auto updating feature, interfering with his PC's operation and locking it up while downloading any updates. Glad to hear that you got your money back via the links! Take care.

10. ralphn

ralphn Registered Member

Been using Magicjack for 5 months without a problem. Had a little trouble at first forwarding ports as I did not know what I was doing, but since then it has been well worth the $40 and change and has long paid for itself in calls anywhere in North America for free, and phoning mainly New Zealand for 2.5 cents a minute with very crisp clear reception. I started with windows xp, and then got a macbook leopard so use it on that all the time now at home. Will pay $20 for another years service gladly when this is up. I was worried about buying this little gadget too but I sure am glad I did now, as I dont have a landline and just use a cellphone so it saves a lot of money.

11. twodogs44

Majic Jack did not even have service with my 812 area code and everyone that called me ended up with a long distance charge. The area code they gave me was on the other side of the state. I am glad it works for some of you, but it is not any help on the western side of Indiana because my area code was over near the Ohio state line and I am 12 miles from the Illinois.

12. Mr Bigins

Mr Bigins Registered Member

Hi, my first post here.

Does anyone know how secure a phone call conversation is using a magic jack? Is it easy or hard for an party to tap a phone(#) of someone using their magic jack?

If yes, are there any software options to stop or prevent your majic jack phone line from being tapped and listened in on?

I was thinking maybe some type of scrambler like for IP that people use to cover their internet activity. But I'm thinking that won't work. IDK

Also, if you're using a MJ with a notebook, can you use the phone in an area that has wifi, like a restaurant?

I would think that software hacks would be made for this device(possibly to achieve this). Any idea on that?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  13. TerriG

TerriG Registered Member

Bigins,
    The only way I can think the MJ VoIP can be listened to is by an eavesdropper or someone with a very good listening device. As far as using MJ with wifi no you have to have a hardwired ethernet connection. I do not get any ads on the software but what I did find out is that if you put someone on hold while using my MJ the person holding hears music. Also the best thing is since I've owned my MJ I haven't received a single solicitation call. The software on my MJ is simply a autoboot file for the MJ not sure it can be hacked. Hope this information helps. I have owned my MJ for almost a year now.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I like it. Have to have at DSL & good spec computer. Those who complain don't have one or both. Also can't be junked up with resource hogging apps.

15. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

:thumb: Just started using it myself. Have to save a $ where and when you can. ;)

One suggestion I would make is to run it on a dedicated machine if possible. Mine is run on an older Dell Demension 4500, XP Pro Sp3 w\ a 1.7 GHz Intel and 1 Gig of ram. It runs as a headless server for Magicjack and our printer on a 6 PC wired\wireless LAN.
    Tweaked the services and use the Win FW with MJ, File and printer sharing and Remote Desktop enabled.

If for any reason I need to access it I use Remote Desktop.

The tower had been turned in to our local PC Tech Shop for recycling so it was a freebie. :D Prior to that MJ had actually run well on an old P II with only 192MB of ram. Had a flaky USB port though so had some issues with voice quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.