Erunt

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AlizeZ, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlizeZ

AlizeZ Registered Member

Hope I have posted this in correct forum.

I am thinking about installing Erunt on my WinXPsp3 computer and wonder:
    #1- Whenever I want to backup Registry, do I have to open program and have it create the backup?
    Or, does the Erunt program automatically backup Registry every time I turn on the machine?

The reason I ask is that I read the following somewhere on the Internet:
    "ERUNT sets up a shortcut in the Startup group, that backs up the registry for the current day, during the first Windows startup for the day. This feature is provided by Autoback.exe add-on for ERUNT."

#2- Do I just click on the 'erunt-setup.exe' file in order to install and that is all, I don't have to do anything else? Will it place an icon on my desktop?

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

ERUNT automatically creates a folder named ERDNT in your WINDOWS folder.
    Inside that folder are folders labelled with the date the backups that were manually made was taken or AutoBackup which contains the backups automatically made each day.
    A backup is made automatically for each day, not everytime your computer is turned on. So the first power on of the day will be the backup of your registry.

Can't remember the installation but i am sure its simple.

Attached Files:

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

4. Mister_Al

Mister_Al Registered Member

I've been using Erunt for a couple of years and it has really saved me from having to do a reinstall several times by allowing me to restore the registry from a time that my machine was working properly.

It's also great if you try out a new program and decide that you don't really want it after all. After you do an uninstall you can restore the registry to a time right before the program was installed and it's like you never installed it. Also, if you need to remove a virus you can restore the regestry to the way it was before the infection. I think it's a good program to have--just in case.

Erunt also has a program that you can install with it called NTREGOPT. It will defragment your registry for you, but you have to run it manually.

5. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I run a daily system task with the following command:

Code:
    c:\Utils\RegBackup\AUTOBACK.EXE C:\Windows\ERDNT\#Date#.#Time# /noprogresswindow /noconfirmdelete /alwayscreate /days:10

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm not saying ERUNT doesn't have it's purpose (as Mister Al notes) but IMO, System Restore is the better solution (if you don't disc image.)

Restoring a registry from even a few days earlier may actually introduce trouble. As an eg., say you install a new program of some kind and a couple days later, you have a fairly major registry problem. Going back to an earlier version may run ok but the new program now has no uninstall info in the registry you're running. You may be able to re-install and be ok, but what if you can't? It can get a bit messy.

IMO, the overall best answer is System Restore and a good disc imaging app. There's little you can't survive with both of them...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.