help please:configuring boclean

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by cet, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

At last I have installed and trying boclean.No problems so far.But I am not sure about one setting which comes checked by default.Automatic cleanup of winsock connectivity.
    If bo clean finds a malware and cleans winsock I may not connect to internet anymore,or is it the other way.PLEASE!!!

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

That happened to me when I used it.
    I don't remember the settings now, but I do know that that winsock setting can cause problems.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I found it best to have "Automatic cleanup of winsock connectivity" unchecked. If you don't, it resets a number of things to defaults (such as removing any hard-coded DNS servers from your network connectoid) if it triggers on anything, even a test using something like the original GRC leaktest.

The others that are checked by default are okay, but, I recommend against checking "Automatic reset of security zones," if you use IE extensively and have created a long list of trusted sites. And the HOSTS file one, if you have a custom hosts file you want to keep. Those two could manually be checked, and fixed as needed, if you are ever hit by a real trojan and BOClean triggers, and you wonder if the malware edited your hosts or added bogus trusted sites to IE.

4. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you very much.Now I feel better after reading this.I will do as you suggested.

5. Rednose!

Rednose! Registered Member

Hi cet :)

I agree with LowWaterMark. That is what I advise my users too :)

Greetz, Red.

6. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

For an eternity i been wanting to try this app and test it against some memory intrusion/resident malware samples or POC.

Can anyone direct my attention where i can test this latest BoClean and exactly what gives it such a positive result when most users say it does nothing but sits still untill acted on by some memory element that could be a malware intrusion.

Thanks in advance, and can this compliment or hinder a HIPS or even clash between them. Mine happens to be EQS and i don't dare part with it come ice or flood waters seeing as it has exceptional strength in coverages from files, to registry, to applications and the like.

Thansk in advance for any useful recommendations or data that would encourage use of it with my present set up.

EASTER

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I don't think you can test POC's, since BOClean is blacklist based (Or at least it was, last time I checked)...

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This is just my opinion OK? I don't discount or criticise BoClean's developer and yes i have read years of rave reviews of this app before.

But it absolutely could use, just IMO, a total overhaul and a more in-depth examination on it's stability.

It just doesn't react as i would expect a simple little app like this to perform. I notice some distortions that detract from how i knw it would normally perform, thats all.

Others seem to have no issues at all, maybe it's Vista compatibility thats affecting it on my XP, i simply cannot and am without explaination why this app time and again gives me difficulty from the GUI to sometimes (not often) it's operation.

One of these days just like snoopfree and other apps like ProSec that just wouldn't meld in unison as expected, that magic version is going to surface. :)

EASTER

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Remembered this thread:
    thought it might be interesting:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=108368

Heh: BOC can short circuit stuff if not careful: See advice from LWM above a succint summary of Kevin's comments in that thread

If you want to read all KMcA posts and responses to stuff here (@Wilders):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/search.php?searchid=2394275&pp=25
    Just pointed out to me that the 'search' links dont work for long and not at all for non-members, so if anyone wants to find KMcA's posts, have to search for his posts by member search after registering: not really germane to this thread but not uninteresting :D

Just for the attitude alone : "I think Bill Gates is a pederast" just full of Gems lol.
    Unfortunately all a bit old but still bites.

All new bits @Comodo
    Regards.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

For the record: I have deleted my previous posted message.
    After having done some thinking, I thought that would be better.
    I do apologize !

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I never quit. I waited over a year for ProSec AND snoopfree to finally fashion a useful version and i'll wait this one out too if i have to.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.