AppRanger as sole protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Diprivan, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

I am trialling AppRanger which I noticed jmonge has been using. It has a sytem lockdown feature and an incorporated browser sandbox. According to the developer it provides 'real time protection against malware and web attack.' I don't have the expertise to determine how effective this application is. Does anyone have any experience with AppRanger?
    http://www.appranger.com/

Many Thanks

2. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

I know nothing about Appranger but I like your idea / approach:

People say - I have not been infected for x num of years and so on.

Which brings the following idea:

How low can you go:

What is the least amount of security softwares you can use and not get infected....

Technically all you need is upto date windows but everyone's different!

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

I do not know this application, but from the features description it is developed for servers (SQL etc). It seems like a combo of Ms steady state and First Defense to me.

Regards

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Haven't been able to find out much about the company behind AppRanger I wish they would add more to their company page such as history and executives not just email info@ - not much there to commit a companies servers. A post here from them would be kinda nice but in the mean time I'm gonna do a home test with Small Business Server 2003 and Server 2008.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i run AppRanger with DefenseWall with system lock down option on and on high and and only put it to medium when i notice tha windows wants to update like every second thursday(some thing like that)AppRanger can be use for servers and also for personal use(home users too)it is fast and secure
    good choice Diprivan:thumb:
    note:if you have and antivirus,you have to put the antivirus updater in the white list other wise it will not update the database if you have AppRanger system lockdown on high.
    when it is on high nothing is allow in your system,only your programs that are in the white list for that you have to create a reference state(scan)then apply lock down(protected mode)again good choice:thumb: for home users is $18.95.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it also sandbox,wmplayer,iexplorer,windows email clients,msn messenger and also you could add more apps if you like
    content option:webfilter you could 1)enable web filter 2)enable web monitor
    3)allow known good sites 4)blocks suspicious sites 5)block known addware sites 6) blocks adds on google,yahoo and msn searches.

pasword protected etc.rich in options.very cool.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

they are the makers of SpyWall .check it out at download.com or visit
    appranger.com

8. Diprivan

Thanks Meriadoc for taking the time to test Appranger.
    Thanks also Jmonge for further information on this software. Do you run Defensewall with the sandboxes activated in Appranger? Would it be fair to say that Appranger resembles anti-executable and a something like SandboxIE?

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it runs well with any other sandbox:thumb:without any conflicts
    with appranger i lockdown my system while DefenseWall watch over my internet explorer

10. Diprivan

Still toying with Appranger, but clueless as to its effectiveness.
    I am currently pairing it up with Shadowdefender...have also run it with SandboxIE and Defensewall with no problem. There are no meaningful reviews of this software. has anyone tested it?

11. catcherintherye

catcherintherye Registered Member

I am using AppRanger. It's effectiveness comes into play mainly in two areas:

- It detects a lot of stuff with some false positives which they call it unclassified. You should be able to clean most of the time w/ some research on those unknows. Think of it as all the interesting items on your pc that load on their own (like drivers, dlls, process, etc). I think they have some sort of rootkit detection built-in which i think works well.
    - Anything that runs of a sandboxed application can not do damage. I have tested w/ some malware samples and it does seems to work.

Besides these, there are other things in AppRanger which may be quite useful to somebody like url blocking but I didn't pay much attention to that.

Let me if this helps.

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Shadow Defender and Sandboxie, or Shadow Defender and DefenseWall would be good.

When you have Shadow Defender off, for program updates, sandboxie or DefenseWall would be beneficial.

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Does it also sandbox downloaded files?

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it does in a different way tracking down all activities that are downloaded and that includes hiden rootkits for example(they are not hiden from appranger)it has a scaner(fast) and
    log of all activities giving you the chance to revert back to previous state by deleting the activities or in this case the x what ever downloaded files with no problems(they call it unclusified files)it controls all activities in your pc in real time plus blocks some or you could add all executables file types to be block by default(preventing drive by downloads)also recognize real malware in real time(scaner)with appranger data base(once a week aprox)

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this program is stranger but is very good:thumb: it is antivirus/antispyware/sandbox with a scaner.
    you can sandbox all aplications in you pc apply high,medium or low protection status,you could block executable files like anti-executable,also it has a webguard for spyware sites,adds,etc:thumb:
    what else can i say:it is fast,does slow your browser surfing,it plays good with other programs and it is only $18.95/year

16. catcherintherye

catcherintherye Registered Member

It does. The up side is the downloaded program wont be able do any damage to the system. The down side is the program may not work correctly if it needs to modify your critical stuff on your system like adding a startup item or writing to program files area, etc. It is really handy for cases where you accidently or wilingly ran an program you got from email or im or whatever.

I usually download it and run it from explorer if i am running a installer. Personally, I would like to have an option to run an executable out of sandbox when I run something off an sandbox application. There is no easy way do it bit can be done.

There sandbox is different from sandboxie's. Sandboxie is more like per application virtualization rather a sandbox. Sandboxie is little bit misnomer. If you know how java sandbox works you would know the difference.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what i do is i download outside the appranger sandbox and after white list it
    ofcourse knowing it is safe to place it in appranger white list:thumb:and even like that you could monitor its behabiour too for any suspicious action of new introduce application.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

as a matter of fact after tomorrow i have to change and try my new security arsenal i probably consider a new set up that includes appranger and other one?which i dont know yet:D
    i always use or try a sandbox or policy base sandbox with a hips program

19. Diprivan

Thanks for the updates. I will combine Appranger with Shadowdefender and see how it goes.....having said that, I will mainly utilise its anti-executable abilities.
    Perhaps I should just use Faronics Anti-executable with SD?:D Oh Choices, Choices!

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap:thumb:
    note:to find and configure or add more extentions to it have to digg alitle in the gui,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.