Secunia-Adobe/Macromed Flash question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

This is what I get from the Secunia scan:

Flashadobe.png

As you can see I have both Adobe Flash Player and Macromed Flash Player. Whats the difference? Any reason to have both?

Secunia tells me that I need to update Macromed Flash Player. Ok, but if I click the link in the picture above for update Macromed (hxxp://www.macromedia.com/go/getflash) I am redirected to this page:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

It tells me to install Adobe Flash Player version 9.0.124.0 which I already have.

They are both installed in the same folder.

Can someone help me understand this please?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

What you are experiencing is a case of "who owns what?". :D ;)

Adobe took over the Macromedia Flash program in December 3, 2005. So you have an old installed version which coexists with the other program version. Read the history of the program here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

3. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello tepe2,

I have personally experienced your situation in the past and was able to find a solution to this problem. I have provided two possible remedies below.

Solution #1:
    1.) Download the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller from the following link below and follow the step-by-step instructions provided.
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157 (How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control)
    2.) After uninstalling Flash from your system, download a new copy of Flash 9.0.124.0 to the desktop from the following link below.
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
    3.) Install Flash and retest with Secunia.

Solution #2(*Note: Perform only if solution #1 fails.):
    1.) Locate "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\flash.ocx" on your system.
    2.) Delete the "flash.ocx" file and retest with Secunia.

Hope this helps.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Scroll in on the exchange Tepe. You'll get ONE look - http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/MultiMedia_Applications/Q_23196262.html

MVP comment:
    S

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you so much for fast replies guys :)

I have learned and decided so far that I want both of them installed. I have both installed.

I trust you guys of course but why do you want me to uninstall AFP which is up to date, when Macromed Flash Player is the one that need an update? If I follow your advice and uninstall AFP, and then reinstall AFP will it take care of everything?

By the way I think I have that uninstall tool from Adobe in the same folder (see picture). I could run this one I guess?

2008-07-16_014036.png

I have messed with these things before but I dont remember what I did back then.

6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

G..d d... f...ing s..t !

I just noticed that at the bottom of the Secunia scan it seems I have also the latest Macromed Flash Player version 6.0.88.0. So I have both old and latest of this one. (I tried to keep the screenshot picture I posted here as small as possible thats why I did not include everything listed at Secunia)

Maybe I just uninstall all that s..t and install AFP.

7. CogitoErgoSum

Hello tepe2,

For best security, you should uninstall MFP v6.0.79.0 as it will not negatively impact any current flash functionality. If you do not want to run the AFP uninstaller that I mentioned in post #3, but would like to remove MFP v6.0.79.0, you could skip to solution #2 and follow my instructions. This should take care of your problem once and for all. Lastly, please post a secunia screenshot of MFP v6.0.88.0 so that I can specify which file needs to be deleted to get rid of it as well. Thanks in advance.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks again.

Before your last post CogitoErgoSum I ran the uninstaller tool in my folder. Ran CCleaner, rebooted. Tried to delete the entire Macromed folder. Got a message "Flash6...." cannot be deleted.

Then I ran Secunia. It showed no AFP but still both of the MFP versions. After reading your post I ran uninstaller tool for MFP (see the last one in picture above, did not remember I had this one too). Then I was able to manually delete that Flash6...something.

I ran Secunia before starting this post. It showed no sign of any Flash Player at all :D

So now I will install latest version of both :D

The last time I went through all this s..t it was time consuming.
    This time it was time consuming.
    Next time.......?

9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Oops. I think you edit your post. I have no versions installed any longer. But I have these in Macromed\Flash folder:

genuinst.exe
    KB923789.inf
    uninstall_plugin.exe
    uninstFl.exe

I guess I just keep them and install new versions of AFP and MFP?

10. CogitoErgoSum

Hello tepe2,

Leaving those four files alone will not hurt anything. All you need to do is install the latest version of AFP. Installing the latest version of MFP, if available, is not advisable because it will introduce a security vulnerability.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

11. yeow

yeow Registered Member

I simply deleted the flash.ocx file in the said directory. I had shockwave installed in the past but uninstalled (seldom used). In the said folder, all were 2008 files except flash.ocx which was 2006.

Normal flash movies like youtube etc still playing normally. Hope I didn't break anything.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

MMFP is removed as I checked by Secunia but it,s always shown in Add?/Remove list.

Attached Files:

13. CogitoErgoSum

Hello yeow,

You did just fine. Deleting the "flash.ocx" file is all that was required to eliminate the MFP security vulnerability.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

14. CogitoErgoSum

Hello aigle,

Have you attempted to uninstall MFP via add/remove programs? If you are not able to delete the MFP entry, I have provided links below that may be of interest to you. The most important thing is that the Secunia test has said that you no longer have MFP installed on your system.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm (Removing invalid entries from Add or Remove Programs)
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html (MyUninstaller - free alternative utility to the standard Add/Remove applet of Windows operating system that does not require installation which displays a list of all installed applications, and allows you to uninstall an application, delete an uninstall entry, and save the list of all installed applications into a text file or HTML file.);(*Note: This is what I personally use on both WinXP SP3 & Vista SP1)

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  15. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Thanks CogitoErgoSum. :)

16. CogitoErgoSum

Hello tepe2 & yeow,

You are both very welcome.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Will try it.

18. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you guys for info, links and replies to this thread.

Everything is ok here now. Uninstalled both. Reinstalled AFP. Have not reinstalled Macromed Flash Player. Will only do if I have to.

For the future I hope Adobe will improve install/uninstall routines for their products. Or maybe I should look for better alternatives if they exist.

19. CogitoErgoSum

Hello aigle,

You are very welcome.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

20. CogitoErgoSum

For those who are interested,

Based upon personal experience, I have found that for best results it is recommended that one should physically uninstall an older version of Adobe Flash Player(AFP) with the AFP uninstaller at the link below before installing a newer version or update of AFP. This ensures that the older version of AFP is removed and not left behind as a security vulnerability.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157 (How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control)

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.