Restore XP Pro backup to Vista Home????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by orchided, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orchided

orchided Registered Member

My current system uses XP Pro OS, which I prefer over Vista OS. If I purchase a new computer with Vista Home loaded onto it, can I install my Acronis 10 onto the new computer, and then use the Acronis restore option to restore my last XP Pro backup over the Vista OS?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Because the hardware will be different you will run into problems, but it can be done - one way is to use the extra cost Universal Restore option together with the Workstation version of True Image.

Another option, which I have tried and it worked, is before you make the Backup, change the display adapter to Standard VGA. Then make the Backup Image. But another problem you may run into is if your new computer has SATA drives and the old one IDE. I don't have SATA so I don't know how the restore would react.

To make things simpler, whatever route you take, rather than install True Image on the new computer, while you have it installed on the old one, make the bootable Rescue CD and you can use that to try the restore of the Image to the new computer.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello orchided,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that, as pointed by DwnNdrty, the system restored to a different hardware is likely to encounter boot problem because of lack of proper drivers installed. Acronis solution for transferring of a system to different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

There is one big problem that you can run into. For some Vista computers, especially notebooks, there are no Windows XP drivers available. In that case, downgrading may be impossible.

Be sure to make a full image backup of the entire hard drive (all partitions) of your Vista system. Then, if you can't make the downgrade work, you can always restore the system to Vista.

Assuming there are XP drivers for all the hardware on your new computer, you may find that doing an "upgrade in place" reinstallation of Windows XP over the restored image may make the system bootable without destroying all your data and installed applications. Here's a link to how to do the upgrade in place:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

Note that this requires a real Windows XP installation CD and not just an OEM image disk.

Good luck.

5. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Your better off to check if your new comp has all the drivers for XP and if it does ? Do a clean install , its a longer process but it a sure bet for not getting into headaches later on . It would be a waste of time to do the backup process and later on start getting into problems after problems , In the end you would end up wasting more time and getting lots of more headaches compare doing a clean install .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.