Why so many locked files on XP Pro?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mele20, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm used to NOD32 seeing the page file, Real Player files and Spybot files as locked on my W98SE box but nothing else.

Why am I seeing so many locked files on XP Pro SP1? I'm running as Admin and I know there were not all these locked files before I got this latest version of the engine. I don't like this version 9 at all. I think I will go back to version 6. Version 9 did not solve the stupid constant box saying I have changed a profile when I have not. That is the only reason I downloaded it. Marcos said would solve this problem but it doesn't. :(

I would upload part of the NOD log but I got an error message saying the file is too large! Gee, it's not that large only 238kb. (I guess I'm spoiled as my home site could handle it without a blink of an eye). :) I tried copying the log but I can't. Is there a way to copy/paste the log?

The OFFICIAL NOD32 support forum should be able to handle attachments of a reasonable size. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This forum should be hosted by Eset on their own servers. No offense to this site, which is an excellent security site, but it not capable of properly hosting this type of forum IMO. My home site could easily do so but unfortunately, it doesn't host these sorts of forums. It makes Eset look half a*sed to not host their own forum anyway.

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Some of the locked files were probably not being scanned before and therefore would not appear as a log entry

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

PS some files in XP are locked even to administrators,only accessable to the system, unless you alter the scurity settings of each of these files.
    As an example set to show all files and try to obtain properties for your "system volume information" folder on any of your drives will give result 0kb as size,now change the security settings to allow aourself,administrator or your user name, to access said folder:-your in for a shock if your system as been up and running for a while,it will be huge it is where all your restore points are stored.
    This folder is atually accessible to virus scanners I've just used it as an example of the way XP can lock files/folders

4. how-about

how-about Guest

why not just open the log in notepad and copy several dozen lines into a post here. if the file is 238k and assuming 60 characters per line you must have over 4000 lines in that file. i doubt 4000 lines are needed to show a sample of the files you are talking about. or can you atleast name a few of the files that you think are odd that are showing as locked, it might help.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When all files are selected for scanning, NOD32 will try to open plenty of other files that are locked by the operating system (mostly they are LOG and DAT files in the windows\system32\config and doc.&settings\***\ntuser.dat.log or ntuser.dat or usrclass.dat/usrclass.dat.log)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.