Adobe Reader 9 Now Available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lucas1985, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Adobe's blog
    Download link
    - Note 1: By default, an eBay toolbar/application is included in the download package. You need to uncheck it if you only want the reader.
    - Note 2: It may not be available in your language (e.g., it isn't available in Spanish)

2. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I just installed it and its faster and better looking than 8. Scrolling within a pdf is really smooth and fast now. I know people usually recommend Foxit etc instead of Acrobat but honestly since v8 I have found Acrobat is easier to read and is just as fast.

3. lucas1985

You're welcome :)
    You're right. On modern systems (2 GHz CPU, 512+ MB of RAM and a fast enough HDD) the speed difference is minimal. But I still use a non-Adobe PDF reader (PDF-XChange Viewer) not for its speed (it's a bit faster than Adobe and it has a much lower system footprint) but for its features

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Ditto :thumb:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the heads up. another thing to install later.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Interesting! I've never tried it - does it have any advantages compared to Foxit Reader?

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Lucas1985 - I use PDF-Xchange as well. I haven't uninstalled Adobe Reader, but left it. PDF-Xchange gives an option to leave Adobe installed. My question to you is, did you uninstall Adobe Reader? If so does it give you a problem with folks who e-mail you that only use Adobe reader? I would like to be able to uninstall Adobe Reader if I know it won't cause me problems. It's 85MB in size in contrast to PDF-Echange's 15MB as I recall. :)

8. Arup

Arup Guest

PDF X Change is among the few readers that can use multiple cores in case you are using dual or quad core CPUs, its a delight to open heavy graphic PDFs and scroll with ease.

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I replaced Adobe with Foxit sometime ago. Foxit is unable to properly open some of the PDFs that I receive eg Investment statements from legal & General.
    So now I have changed to PDF-XChange which works fine with the legal & General PDFs that Foxit can'r read correctly. FDF viewer is bigger than Foxit but only a fraction of the size of Adobe Reader - so unless it fails to render any PDF types looks like it will stay.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Whew! I uninstalled V8 of Adobe Reader and downloaded and installed Adobe Reader V9. Then I uninstalled V9 of Adobe Reader. Way too much bloat, and a beta "product" imbedded to boot. Now I am downloading Foxit and PDF XChange to try them out.

11. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

v9 running fine here but definitely feels larger than v8. One thing to remember is how well the reader renders fonts, graphics, etc. Adobe Reader does the best job at both. PDF XChange also does a good job but Foxit, while fast, does not render well.

To test, print out one page with each and look at the output. Additionally, some problems are noticeable when just viewing .pdf documents also.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I just uninstalled adobe beta thing and kept the 9 reader.

13. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I considered that, until I looked in the Program Control section of ZoneAlarm. Whereas Adobe Reader 8 had two entries (the reader itself and the updater), Adobe Reader 9 had more than a half dozen entries.

Although, when I installed PDF XChange, ZA popped up several alerts about it wanting to create processes and modify the registry. I denied it and it still seems to function.

14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I also installed Adobe Reader 9 to get rid of the updating warnings.
    Somehow I can't stop these warnings, like in other softwares and AE is bugging me everytime I use Adobe Reader.
    If I didn't need Adobe Reader, I would have ditched it a long time ago and replaced it with another pdf-reader.

15. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Here's an installer without Adobe AIR included... ;)
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.0/enu/AdbeRdr90_en_US_Std.exe

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I switched our entire office (20 users) to PDF-XChange Viewer (from Adobe Reader.) For a core group of 7 of us, I paid for the Pro version that allows basic editing of PDFs (I bought the Pro version when it was only $15 per copy.) We are MUCH happier with the additional features and low bloat factor. We aren't ever going back to Adobe...

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Ahh.. another massive download to flood the servers. :rolleyes:

18. lucas1985

I uninstalled Adobe Reader from my main systems but I still have it installed in a basic VM (for testing purposes). I'm considering to install Adobe Reader in a SVS layer/snapshot.
    I can read every PDF, even those sent by people using Adobe Reader. YMMV.
    - It has a greater feature set (although I think that the latest releases of Foxit are pretty much on par)
    Code:
    # Add Comments and Annotations to any PDF file (subject to security settings) - unlike the Adobe Viewer which requires the PDF creation tool to be 'certified' by Adobe !
    # Add & apply Custom Stamps from any Image or PDF File and even your Windows Clip board !
    # Mark-up pages with text and objects
    # Type directly on any PDF page, not just Adobe enabled forms documents - in Typewriter mode.
    # Export PDF pages or entire files to any one of the supported Image formats including BMP, JPEG, TIFF, PNG and many more ...
    # Extract text from a PDF page/File
    # Make your navigation of large or complex PDF files both simple and enjoyable with the extended functionality of our 'Loupe' and the 'Pan' Window tools
    # Fill and Save Adobe Forms to disk, email or 'post' !
    # Full Javascript Engine included
    # Updated JPEG2000 Compression support - improving speed.
    # Plug-Ins for both MS IE or Firefox Browser's included
    # Integrate seamlessly with your favourite translation software to translate text on the 'fly' - including :  ABBYY Lingvo 12, Translate It!, Lingoes.
    # Includes comprehensive Help file and PDF Manual - no extra downloads required to add features etc.
    # Portable version also available - can be run from any suitable device such as a Memory stick/CD/DVD etc - simply unzip and use - no installation required - just 4MB download !

- Foxit has some problems with certain PDFs. PDF-XChange Viewer renders them fine
    - PDF-XChange Viewer has (IMO) the best rendering quality of all non-Adobe readers. Adobe Reader has the best rendering quality, though.
    - PDF-XChange Viewer makes use of multiple cores to render the files. This is noticeable with big, graphic-heavy PDFs. Also, the scrolling is the smoothest of all readers

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I have uninstalled Adobe and made PDF-Xchange my default app. I accessed it and discovered there is an update, which I installed. I'll see how this works out without Adobe.

20. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Same here. After I discovered Reader 9 was basically double the size of Reader 8, I started looking for another solution; PDF-XChange certainly seems to be an excellent alternative.

I have noticed a slight difference in rendering quality on a couple of PDFs but, from the (admittedly limited, at this point) testing I've done, it's so marginal as to not justify retaining the bloat of Reader 9, IMHO.....not to mention the lack of features considering its sheer weight.

Thanks to all of those who posted in this thread.....very informative and useful. :)

21. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Adobe Reader v9 Lite released.

Download English version here (MajorGeeks).

Other languages available at DivShare or RapidShare (both not updated as of now).

thanatos

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  22. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Still slow and big...FoxIT was better. BTW I replaced it and got NitroPDF, which is like Adobe Acrobat but a lot smaller. It has all the features of acrobat but it is only 59 MB!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  23. Arup

Arup Guest

For printing to PDFs I use the multi featured Bull Zip which has watermarking and other features as well. For creating stand alone PDFs I use Scribus which works out as good as Adobe Acrobat.

24. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

There is a lite version of Adobe Reader 9 here:
    http://msfn.modrica.com/board/lofiversion/index.php/t88167.html
    removed autorun and desktop shortcuts.
    converted the startmenu shortcut to non-advertised.
    removed several features and plugins that the average user has no need for. (Lite version)
    removed Beyond Adobe and Lic. Agreement popups.
    removed all (auto)update® features.
    :thumb:

25. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Adobe Reader Lite FTW :D

I must say I find it rather fast :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.